Sunday, August 21, 2011

Stiney and Me

I've been under the weather for the past several weeks and slept all day Saturday. Sunday I woke up and knew I had to get out and get some exercise before my muscles atrophy. Yet another neighbor is having a new roof put on his house, so I took Lostine to the mountains for a trail ride to escape the annoying ongoing sound of hammering.

When we arrived, some other horseback riders were desensitizing their horses to the big front loader in the background of this picture...

Lostine was more concerned about the sheep, as usual. It's been a long time since we've traveled these trails, so we found out that the sheep owner recently adopted some burros, and boy were they loud.

Lostine began our ride saying, "I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared," halfway through the ride she kept saying, "I'm hungry, I'm hungry, I'm hungry," as she tried to snatch sagebrush off the side of the trail, and she ended the ride saying, "I don't want to go home yet, I don't want to go home yet, I don't want to go home yet."

We ran into quite a few other riders on Arabian horses. One lady was ponying a yearling. I told her how I would like to pony one of my horses, but worry that the trails are too narrow and that Gabbrielle might get away from me. She said, "As long as they are unfamiliar with the trail, they'll stick close to the horse you are riding."

Lostine didn't bat an eye at the 50-foot high front loader. You just never know what's going to trigger a spook. It was nice getting out with just Stiney and me. Now I need another nap.

10 comments:

Dreaming said...

It sounds like you had a really nice ride!
It was interesting to hear the woman's comment about ponying. I wonder if that holds true with older horses as well. I've been thinking of ponying one on the trail, but was concerned about reactions to thingsl

fernvalley01 said...

Yay for you ! Must have felt great!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hooray! I'm so happy for ya!

Now I know what's been missing from your blog............
the beautiful views seen from between your lovely horse's ears :)

I know riding brings you so much joy and a release of stress, so I hope you Carpe Diem and ride every chance you get, my friend.

~Lisa

Mikey said...

Nice ride! Glad you got to get out and get some good horse time in.

Cut-N-Jump said...

You have some nice trails to ride on from the looks of things. Glad you finally got out to enjoy them some. Here's hoping you get a lot more saddle time in the near future.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Finally, you got out for a ride. Yeahhh!!

I don't blame Lostine...My horses are not fond of sheep either. Or goats...same thing to them I suppose.

The lady is probably right about a horse sticking close if they are unfamiliar with where they are at, but early this spring, I was yaking on the phone while riding Moon and ponying Frosty. I accidentally dropped the leadrope and when Frosty realized he was loose...he headed back to the trailer at a high lope. It was a heckava horse race to get him caught before he made it back to that parking lot where the trailer was. I never tie to the saddle horn, but now I darned sure make sure to take 2 wraps so it isn't quite as easy to lose the leadrope. LOL

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

BEC - I'm so glad you mentioned that, because I've been hemming and hawing over whether to wrap the rope around the horn or not. I don't like having my arm yanked around and me being off balance while riding, so I think letting the horn take a little pressure off helps, but I also don't want to cause a two-horse accident by having one horse pull back and yank up the girth on the other horse. I would be riding with one rein in each hand, the lead rope in one hand, and the riding crop in one hand, so I could see myself easily dropping something. If I have to dismount to get it back, I won't be able to remount until I find a rock or bench, which could mean leading two horses for a mile or so. But you definitely take the cake for talking on a mobile phone while ponying! That's outrageous.

Katharine Swan said...

"You just never know what's going to trigger a spook."

Whatever you are least expecting to cause a problem, of course! I swear my horse plays a game called, "Can I take my mom off guard?"

Looks like you had a great ride!

Salha said...

Cute horse! :)

P.s. U are Welcome to check out my fashion blog!
www.thecabinetoffashion.blogspot.com

achieve1dream said...

Sorry you've been sick. I hope the ride made you feel better. It sure sounds like fun. :D Lostine is so cute. I love her long forelock and her pretty eyes (when you cal see them lol). Feel better soon!