Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Wildfire on the Hill

We've had firetrucks and forestry trucks racing past our house all afternoon with their sirens on. Our road is closed to through traffic. The tourists are out of luck if they want in or out of town.  There's a wildfire in our hills and the winds are pushing it at such a rapid rate that helicopters and firefighters from all over the area are now flooding in to help.  Here's the view from my driveway...

Here's the view from my neighbor's farm...

It's pretty close, but heading east away from us.

This is what the horses think about all of this hullaballoo..

Blow this next picture up if you can.  I found it on my camera from a few weeks ago.  One gray bunny and one cream colored bunny have been grazing on our lawn this summer.  My presence moved them out into the road.  I think it is interesting that we used to just have wild jackrabbits, but with so many idiots buying domestic bunnies and then losing them, we have a good mix of domestic and jackrabbits now.  I know my neighbors next door are responsible for losing at least two rabbits and not making much of an effort to get them back.  It's amazing how much of an effect humans have on our ecosystem.

4 comments:

Mikey said...

oooo, those rabbits will MULTIPLY! As a kid we caught a bunch, same thing had happened, got loose and out of control. We took a few to our homes. Hers got out, pretty soon their home had a billion rabbits everywhere, lol.
That fire looks dang close! Praying it gets contained super quick.

Mary said...

Yikes! That's close! I am glad the winds are blowing it away from you, hopefully that will continue. Stay safe.

Katharine Swan said...

Looks like I missed a lot of excitement while my dashboard wasn't working! Wow! Glad the horses weren't too concerned about the fire. They did a controlled burn in the park next to my barn a little while back, and the horses got pretty worked up smelling the smoke.

achieve1dream said...

Cute rabbits. I hope they don't cause issues with the local wildlife . . . will they cross breed with the jackrabbits?

I'm glad the fire is moving away. That's too close for comfort.