Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Looks Like They're Here to Stay

The boulder moving is still going on next door. The engine of that front loader starts up at 8:00 AM every morning and goes all day, with the exception of when the workers take their lunch break. Since this lady always ships in outhouses each time she has a construction crew working on her property, I take it that she doesn't like sharing her personal bathroom with strangers. I, of course, can't use my own toilet without the sounds of male voices yelling at each other over the din of the motor just outside my bathroom window. Oh well, at least they are making more noise than I am, so they can't hear me. Hee hee. I always love it when I have to use the bathroom while her guests are having a quiet barbeque just a few feet away.

Anyway, I got a chance to see what all the racket is about. Apparently, my neighbor is tearing up her sagebrush yard and installing a beautiful garden with boulders and bulbs and roses. I'm glad that she's tearing out some of that sagebrush, because it has been wreaking havoc on our sinuses over the years. People complain that we use too much water for all our grass, but we also have horses that need to eat that grass, and because we have grass, we don't get much sage or other weeds compared to our neighbors.

The Puncture Vine on our other neighbors' lot has overtaken the road and our driveways now, so I've been going out everyday pulling these vines up out of the ground. Once they mature, they lay down dozens of goat heads, which get stuck in the frogs of horse feet and the soles our our shoes. They get tracked into the house, stick to the carpet, and then someone in bare feet comes along and steps on them. Ouch! It's very painful.

In other news, I got another offer on my mother's house. The house has been on the market since May, was in escrow once, but the buyer backed out after seeing the inspection report. My real estate agent was bugging me to drop the price by another $30,000 to $80,000 every other week, and I got fed up. I signed a contract with him, because he said he could sell that house for me at a certain price within a matter of weeks no problem. Here we are four months later and there were no more offers. I told him I would not drop the price on the house anymore, because in reality, if I dropped the price far enough, I could sell the house myself, because I may as well be giving it away for free. He got really bitter about that and I knew that both of us were sick of each other and on the verge of prematurely ending the contract.

Then, out of the blue, came this offer to buy the house with cash. The offer was $69,000 less than my latest asking price, and $189,000 less than the price my real estate agent bragged he could sell it for back in May. My first reaction was, "No way."

However, then, amongst all the forms sent to me, I found a letter written to me from the buyer. He explained that it has been his life-long dream to own a Spanish Colonial home of this character. He has served a historical housing committee and promised to retain the original character of the home during his renovations. He said that his family is growing with one small child and another on the way, and they have outgrown their current home. He really wanted this house, but could not afford to pay any more than what he offered.

I looked him up on the Internet and was surprised to see that he is a gifted photographer and his wife is a freelance writer. That sealed the deal for me. I'm a photographer and a freelance writer, so I know how hard it is to make money in those professions. The house and neighborhood are perfect for a family with young children. I'd much rather sell to them at a lower price than to some contractor who is just going to remodel everything without preserving the integrity of the home, and then sell the house for a profit. So, I accepted their offer, and now the house is in escrow again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will work out for all of us. The buyer was even nice enough to ask me to stop by next time I'm in town so that he can meet me.

This means that if all goes well, our financial troubles should end around the middle of October, and I can wrap up settling my mother's estate by December when I shouldn't have anymore debts to pay off. It will be so nice to relax and stop worrying for a change.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!

Jamie

Mikey said...

That's absolutely wonderful! I'm so glad you found the right family for that house. If it feels right, go for it.

fernvalley01 said...

Best wishes and prayers that it works out

Crystal said...

That sounds like a good deal all around on your moms house.

As for the nighbors, finally making noise doing something useful.

lytha said...

oh i wish our seller had looked at our vocations (school teacher and unemployed writer) and thought about taking a lower price. we paid too much, ugh, and now we're paying for it with all the renovations that must be done.

it is really wonderful what you're doing for that family. i hope you inspire generosity around the world today.

Mary said...

I am happy that it seems uou are finally seeing some light at the end of this endles seeming tunnel. Hurray!

Breathe said...

Sometimes we are someone's angel. Sounds like you are this family's one for sure. I hope the proceeds give you an opportunity to move...

Dreaming said...

I am so happy for you and I hope the sale goes without a hitch. It seems that in this market it is sometimes best just to cut the price and get the house sold. That's what we did, and my dad did, and even though we might have gotten more if we waited, we would have also had to pay more utility bills, taxes, etc.
Also, how wonderful that the potential buyer wants to retain the character of the house!

appydoesdressage said...

Good luck, hoping for a fast sale for you!

Cut-N-Jump said...

Sounds like there were plenty of 'signs' that this is to be a good thing. Good Karma!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh hooray! I hope everything moves forward with the sale of your Mother's house. What a relief that will be when it's all over.

Bummer about all the neighbor's yardwork going on, though. They must have a lot of workers over there, what with bringing in two outhouses. Or maybe they suspect that the workers will be using them frequently and they don't want to have to empty them as often....

bleh!

~Lisa

strivingforsavvy said...

That is great news! I will keep my fingers crossed for you !

achieve1dream said...

That is fantastic! They sound perfect. I hope it all works out.