Thursday, September 1, 2011

Siren Highway

There's a section of highway near where I live that I call "Siren Highway", because emergency vehicles are always racing off to some accident in that area.  I have never understood how some many drivers can have head-on collisions in the same spot.  There are several crosses and memorials off to the side of the highway, yet so many drivers keep on thinking that won't happen to them.  You can see for miles ahead, yet somehow people just keep taking chances and regretting it.

So, when my friend and I were returning home from our day trip, we had to travel that stretch of highway.  I was driving exactly the speed limit, because the NHP has been busting everyone left and right for minor offenses.  Of course, I had a line of cars with California plates behind me, because everyone in California speeds.  My philosophy is, "When in Rome do what the Romans do," because I figure the locals know what is going on. 

However, not all other people share the same philosophy.  So, I was driving along when I noticed the driver ahead of me swerve into the oncoming lane and then back into our lane.  I said, "I wonder what that was about..."

As we approached the spot where the driver swerved, I saw a coyote standing on the shoulder of the road.  I said, "Well, I guess I'll give it a wide berth too."

Just as I began to swerve into the oncoming lane, the coyote shot out in front of me across the highway at a trot.  I swerved back into my lane and braked at the same time to avoid hitting it.  I had forgotten about the guy tailgating me and all the other drivers tailgating each other, and looked in my rear view mirror to see what was going on.

The guy behind me decided to try to pass me in the oncoming lane while I was braking and swerving, and he almost hit the coyote.  He braked, but couldn't get back into our lane because the car behind him moved up to my bumper and took his spot.  In the meantime, we had a line of big trucks and cars coming straight at us.  As soon as the coyote cleared my bumper, I gassed it to open the space to let the guy in the oncoming lane back in, hoping other drivers would have the sense to let him back in as well.  Fortunately, they did, but after that incident I think I have a better understanding of why there are so many head-on collisions on that stretch of highway.

I said to the driver who tried to pass me while I was trying to avoid hitting the coyote, "Yes, this is Nevada.  We have wildlife here.  That's why we don't speed or tailgate."

Of course, he couldn't hear me, but he learned his lesson and did not try to pass me again after that.

9 comments:

Once Upon an Equine said...

Whew, that was a close call, for you and the coyote. Maybe they need to put some wildlife signs along that stretch of road.

Mary said...

Phew! I'm glad no one got hurt. I bet that guy not only learned his lesson but he probably soiled his drawers too.

fernvalley01 said...

scary!

Anonymous said...

Twice someone passing me had an accident. One passed me on the right when I stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk and hit the pedestrian. The other had tailgated me and my trailer for miles in pouring rain, then passed when I braked for deer ahead and hit the deer. I simply have no sympathy left!

Cut-N-Jump said...

I usually give tailgaters a brake check to back them off. If they don't- I slow down so much they can't stand it and they either pass me or back off.

Here, we call them Californicators. They seem to f&ck things up wherever they go.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

We've got folks like that here, too. Always in a hurry to pass you, even if they don't know why you are slowing down, or even if you are already driving 5 miles over the speed limit already.
I'm always worried I may end up seeing a head on collision from idiots like that.

~Lisa

Cheryl Ann said...

HEY! I'm a California driver and I've never had a ticket (so far...),but I can't stand other CA drivers! I drive the freeway to school every morning (about 70 mph) and other cars pass me! THEY seem to be driving about 80 (in a 65 mph zone)...I just saw a coyote who didn't make it across the freeway this week...and yes, the IDIOTS do tailgate!

JanLou said...

I just hate it when people tailgate - they do it in the UK too. We don't have that sort of wildlife here in the UK but there are still things to dodge like the odd deer, sheep etc if you are driving in the country.

Sounds like a very narrow escape.

achieve1dream said...

Ditto here. I can't stand tailgaters. I'm like Cutndry. I try my brakes first and if that doesn't work I slow way down. If they are in a hurry to get somewhere riding my bumper is not going to do it and I refuse to give them the satisfaction of me speeding up or pulling over. That would just encourage them to do it again.