Friday, October 14, 2011

Bright Spots

It's been a rough week, but I wanted to mention some bright spots that shined above everything else.  With all the insanity of me being pulled in so many different directions yesterday, I didn't get around to cleaning stalls until evening when the horses were hungry and anxious for their meal.  I got to Bombay's stall, opened the door, and blocked him from getting in with the wagon.

I turned my back to the door to scoop up some poop and shake out the shavings, only to turn around and find a horse standing behind me in the stall and the wagon rolled downhill out of the way.  I burst out laughing and shooed Bombay out of the stall, while retrieving the wagon to block the door.  On the next attempt to scoop, I heard a crash.  I whipped around to find the wagon on its side and Bombay trying to push past it into the stall.

I had just cleaned two other stalls, so the wagon WAS full of manure and urine.  Now, of course, it was all on the ground.  I laughed again, righted the wagon and attempted to finish cleaning Bombay's stall, but he knocked it over again as soon as I started filling it up.  I poked him with my fork in the chest to get him to back away, like a lion tamer with her lion, and he refused to budge.  He acted like I was giving him a massage.  So, I began slapping him on the chest to get him to back up and he rubbed into me like he was loving the pats.

Normally, he does back up when I give him the cues, but he was obviously teasing me and playing his silly games, so all my rules flew out the window.  I said two could play this game, so I turned around, looked at him over my shoulder with a conniving grin, stuck my tush out, and ran backwards right into his chest.  I kept running and pushing with my butt until he started backing up from the pressure.  He kept wrapping his head and neck around me to hug me and try to lift me off the ground.  I was literally wrestling a thousand-pound horse from the ground, and we were both laughing about it. 

You know how horses laugh with their eyes?  Anyway, in the end I gave him a big hug and told him that he's the funniest horse in the world.  I felt like he was very intentionally trying to cheer me up, because he sensed that I've had a tough week.

The other bright spot has to do with my books.  When my mother passed away, I had to drop everything including my efforts to market my books.  As expected, sales plummeted.  No one knew my books existed, because I wasn't getting the word out.  The nice thing about electronic publishing is that the books will still be there when you get your life back, unlike paper publishing in which you have to advertise while the book has the funding to be manufactured and distributed.  Paper books are only allowed a short shelf life, and if they don't reach their quota of sales, they sell for a fraction of the price as remainders.

Anyway, I was talking to my son on the phone, and he said that he downloaded my book of poems, Homespun and Woven, onto his Kindle.  That surprised me, because I've had all the remainders of the printed edition sitting in our house on a bookshelf his whole life, and he's never shown an interest in reading it.  I always thought he should be interested in it, because the book is about motherhood beginning from the time I carried him in my womb to him being a toddler and his sister being a kindergartener.  The book is just as much about him and his sister as it is about me and my experiences in motherhood.  So, it is ironic that both of my kids had to fly the coop before they would take note of this book about the beginning of their lives.

My son said he read the first poem and bawled his eyes out.  (He probably doesn't want me to repeat that, because he's a big, strong man now.)  Everyone who has read that book has said that it had deeply affected them in a good way.  I've received a lot of really nice compliments on the book, but it is difficult to market because so few people have the patience for or interest in poetry.  Believe me, I understand.  I'm like the kid in the South Park episode who gets diagnosed as suffering from a disease called "being a cynical a$$hole" because all the tween music he listens to sounds like "$%!t".

This conversation with my son was a bright spot, because it reminded me that I finally have the time to be doing what I love most, which is writing, and that there are actually people out there reading my books and enjoying them.  So, with that said, I'm going to start my day and try to work on my latest novel before anymore hassles can be thrown my way.  Lostine is well and eating, Scrappy is well and eating without vomiting, the IRS hasn't sent me any more challenges, life insurance companies haven't sent me anymore rejections, my driveway is blocked off, so hopefully

today

I can write.

7 comments:

aurora said...

Gotta love the bright spots! Happy writing!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Well, my writing lasted until about 11:30 AM when I got a UPS delivery containing more trouble. Now I'm spending my afternoon correcting more miscommunications and fixing other people's mistakes. I'm so angry now that I'm threatening to sue some people who have made repeated mistakes in processing my mother's estate and who have attempted to deny me my legal rights, which could cost me huge sums of money. I have lost so much faith in both the American people and the American government, that I'm considering moving out of the country and not just the state. There is no end to the bullshit that people are putting me through. You would think the death of a loved one is the most painful thing you could endure, but the death of loved one can be the trigger that can lead to the most painful thing you could endure just when you thought things couldn't possibly get any more painful than losing the loved one.

Breathe said...

Sometimes it's better to not open mail until after you've got your writing done. It's unbelievable what you've gone through with the estate.

I'm glad you had a fun time with Bombay. He is such a fun horse!

fernvalley01 said...

Yay for Bombay! What a great horse , glad your kids are appreciating your writing . having just read the above comment I am unsure what else to say . Hugs

strivingforsavvy said...

Great news! I love the story about Bombay. Horses are wonderful that way aren't they?

achieve1dream said...

Thanks for reminding me about your books. I finally got a Nook and realized that I could get your book now, but I was at work at the time and then completely forgot lol. :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww. I loved reading about your silly boy Bombay. What a goofy horse and what wonderful moments to share with him.

Also reading about your son opening up to you after reading your poetry touched my heart.

~Lisa