Thursday, October 13, 2011

Chained

No sooner did I finish licking the envelope to solve my last problem and another one equally big came along. I'm not even going to discuss this one. Just trust me when I say that I spend every minute of my day cleaning up messes made by other people's mistakes. My kids have been going through mid-term exams. I've been going through mid-life exams. They last a lot longer and you are graded much more harshly.

This morning I rolled out of bed sick from allergies again to the sounds of trucks beeping while backing up and roaring forward. It wasn't even 7:30 AM yet. I stumbled outside to let the horses out of their stalls. The horses have been barging lately, trying to rush out the doors, so I insisted that each one stop and give me a kiss before I would step out of the doorway and let them go to their food. I shut all the doors once they were out, and noticed the mares were on alert and on the verge of stampeding. I knew I didn't have the reflexes that early in the morning to respond, so I went around to the side of the barn to see what what freaking them out.

There were some people in a big truck idling halfway blocking my driveway and halfway behind my barn. They just sat there idling next to my NO TRESPASSING and PRIVATE DRIVE signs watching me and my horses. I was pissed, but I didn't want to confront them looking like I just rolled out of bed, which I did, and with my allergy headache and snot running down my nose. So, I went back in the house.

I went into the kitchen to start a cup of coffee after cleaning myself up and saw that they were still idling there pointing at stuff around my private yard. All I could figure was that my annoying neighbors are advertising for horse boarders, and these people assumed that my horse paddock was my neighbor's boarding facility. That's all I can think of that would make people think they have the right to come by someone's private property that early in the morning and make themselves at home.

Next thing I knew, they were turning around in my driveway -- not just a little, but they pulled all the way up to my gate past my PRIVATE DRIVE - PLEASE STAY OUT sign, sat there a minute, and then turned around. What got my hackles up more than anything else was that previously, they seemed to be in no hurry to leave, and suddenly they were turning around so fast that they sprayed gravel from my driveway up onto my lawn where it will get caught up and do damage to our lawn mower.

Not to mention that the dogs heard a vehicle in our driveway and launched into one of their barking fits. Now I get to look forward to them barking at every little noise and everything that moves for the next week. That's the type of effect that these trespassers have on my dogs.

So, even though I knew it would annoy my husband, I went outside and re-dug the post holes that all these vehicles have buried while turning around in our driveway, I put up every post and every chain, so that the entire driveway was blocked off. This means I will have to remember to take it down before my husband comes home from work so that he can get in the driveway. He does not like having to get in and out of his car to move chains in order to get in and out of his own driveway.

I also wrote a note, specifically addressing my neighbors, since 80% of the people who turn around in my driveway are their friends, boarders or truck drivers making deliveries to their houses.


I took a shower and was walking around the house in my underwear while my antiperspirant dried only to glance out the window and see a bunch of gardeners with rakes and hoes and my other annoying neighbor all lined up at my fence looking directly at me in my underwear through my window. I was flabbergasted. Ever hear of the concept of looking away when you accidentally see something you aren't supposed to see?

Yesterday my neighbor brought the head gardener out to investigate what has been eating her new garden. (Hee hee.) He pointed out the deer tracks and I overheard him say, "And that is why I recommended that you enclose the area with fencing."

Next thing I knew, he was pacing off the perimeter of her garden, so I'm sure they will be installing a fence today. But first they had to pull every little weed along my fence line.

Scrappy is doing much better. I'd say he's about 85% of his usual self now. Once the Rimadyl kicked in, he started eating again, jumping up and down, and running around. Unfortunately, he also began vomiting. I was in the middle of cleaning up one pile of vomit when I became aware that something was stuck to the bottom of my shoe. I stepped in what had to by my annoying neighbors' dog crap on my lawn, so I had to stop cleaning up my dog's vomit to clean up her dog's crap. Lovely.

All I can figure out is that Scrappy may have pulled his shoulder out of his socket, because that kind of pain would be very intense. And then between the anti-inflammatory pain reliever and him popping his shoulder back in, he's only sore with an upset stomach now. He doesn't seem to need any pain medication this morning. It's nice to know that some problems do solve themselves if you give them a chance.

Other problems apparently require chains and signs, though. I hope it turns out to be a nice day, so that I can sit at the end of the driveway and drive home my point to anyone who has questions. Enough is enough. Whatever happened to having manners and living in a civilized society?

9 comments:

Mikey said...

I'm so glad Scrappy is better and hope that's all it is.
Boy, you have to go to some lengths to get privacy there. I can't believe how nosy your neighbors are.

Allison said...

Oh my! You sure have your hands full!

fernvalley01 said...

all that and a sinus headache! I might have gone back to bed!Glad Scrappy seems better

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Criminey! My dogs just started barking up a storm and I looked in the direction they were barking to find my nosy neighbors' dog off leash and crapping on my lawn AGAIN. They've started this new routine of cutting him loose to do his business around the neighborhood before leaving for work. Then they drive down to my house, pull into my driveway and pick him up. Obviously, they know he's here and know what he's doing.

So, I slammed my door loud enough to catch their attention and ran outside waving my arms and yelling at the dog to get off my property because I'm sick of stepping in his crap. Right then my neighbor jumped in his truck and came down the street to get the dog. I hope he took a good long look at my sign too. If he cuts his dog loose tomorrow morning after this encounter, there will be some hell to pay.

Breathe said...

Yesh. Hope the chains do the job. Good news with Scrappy!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ugh! Wouldn't you know it? The day I close off my driveway I get a UPS delivery. The truck driver is used to racing into my driveway, so he almost hit the chains and poles. I had to cut up strips of red fabric and hang them from the chains and posts to prevent accidents. Some nice neighbors who know that I'm sick of strangers using my driveway drove by while I was hanging the flags. They said hello and didn't even need to ask what I was doing. They feel the same way about all this excessive traffic and wanted to erect a gate at the end of the street at one time. Only 2 out of the 5 neighbors on our street, plus 2 neighbors on the next street are responsible for the majority of traffic. I get really mad when neighbors who don't even live on my street send their truck drivers over to my property to unload. What gives them the right? It's like they've never heard of the concept of asking permission.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Whoohoo! You go girl!

I have this imagine of you sitting at the end of your driveway with a gun in your lap. heheh!

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

I thought of you today as I drove past a sign on the corner of someone's horse pasture that says "STAY THE F*** OUT!" Only there were no stars, it was spelled out clearly in huge letters.

I guess they are having a few neighbor probs too.

achieve1dream said...

I'm so relieved Scrappy is feeling better. :) I was worried about him.

I hope the chains and signs help. You should hang signs that say 'trespassers will be persecuted' and then sit out there with your camera lol!