Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Fulfilling Day

Okay, I admit it.  I read one of those little horoscopes again despite saying I wasn't going to read them anymore.  This is what it said:

You want to follow the schedule that you created for today, but unseen forces prevent you from executing your plan. You might work yourself up into a state of anxiety if you are too unyielding.

Whaaaaaaat?  Anxiety?  Me?  Nah.  Never.  But seriously, that's the story of my life.  I want to follow a schedule, but rarely can.  However, for once, I decided to just toss my To Do List aside and go with the flow, and amazingly, I probably got more done today than I've have in most weeks.

I took an ad out in the local newspapers advertising my photography business, not expecting to get any results since I've been advertising for two years and rarely received any interest in my business.  However, I got two inquiries today.  One was for a portrait session for Christmas cards, and the other totally took me by surprise.  A man wanted to buy one of the photos I included in my ad just to show examples of my work.

I was confused and didn't know what to do, because it was one of the photos of the shelter dogs, which I've given everyone free reign to download and print out.  I don't watermark my photos, because my photography instructor told me it was a bit assumptive to think that my work is good enough that someone would want to steal it.  So, out of modesty, I stopped using watermarks and just let people have my photos.

I could charge someone for the labor and materials to create a print and frame it, or I could charge someone for ownership rights to the photo, but it's kind of too late to sell the rights since I've already distributed that photo for free all over the place.  But the good thing that came out of it is that I now realize that there are people who would like to buy my work, so in the future I can better protect it.  My husband said he'd prefer that I sell my work like an artist, rather than to put all my energy into portrait sessions.

I wanted to spend the day working with as many animals as possible, because I feel like I've neglected all my furry buddies this past year due to my life getting so out of control.  I walked my dogs, Midge and Scrappy, and then I went to the animal shelter to walk more dogs.  Would you believe they have a purebred Pomeranian in the shelter now?  People pay a premium for those dogs. 

Every time I see someone who has seen my photos, they always stop to compliment my work.  I find it rather amazing that I can affect people so deeply with a simple photograph.  I've been a writer my whole life, and it takes a lot longer to write a book than it does to take a photograph, yet I've received way more feedback on my photos than my writing.  Anyway, I can't wait until next week's photo shoot, because they've got some new dogs in the shelter that are really beautiful and I know they will make great subjects, if they don't get adopted first... but that's okay, because that's kind of the whole point.

I also spent some time with each horse working on training and manners.  I wish Bombay didn't have such a trailer phobia, because I want to go places with him somewhere beyond just the end of my road.  Lostine is so easy peasy to work with now that she's in her golden years.  Gabbrielle was testing me for the first time, which I found to be disappointing.  She used to love being schooled and tried so hard to do everything I asked, but now she's just vying for position of alpha mare. 

While I was lunging her, she purposefully came in to the center of the round pen and bunched her butt up to buck out at me.  I saw it coming and whacked her on the rump before she could kick me, but that just sent her into a wild gallop and she almost wiped out.  So, I spent some time after that getting her to listen and move in a controlled manner.  I forced her to show me respect by turning her head toward me when changing directions, instead of turning her butt at me.  It was a struggle, but she came around.

After such a long day, I smell like a pig and need a shower, but I feel fulfilled because I'm experiencing progress for a change.

7 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

Your photography teacher is wrong. You own that photo, whether it's good enough to steal or not, and you have the right to protect your property. And besides, isn't behaving confidently, as though your work IS good enough to steal, going to send a better message to potential customers than acting like your time and talent is worthless?

I cannot believe that a professional gave you such terrible advice. And hinting in the process that you're not very good... Sorry for the language, but WHAT AN ASS.

You are an AMAZING photographer, for your ability to capture an animal's personality as much as for your skill with the camera, and if I were you I would watermark EVERY SINGLE ONE of your photos.

fernvalley01 said...

Congrats on the good day! you deserve it. And the positive feedback on your photos , they are truly art

Anonymous said...

Ah, fur therapy!

Ms Martyr said...

I agree with Katharine Swan. Sounded to me like your teacher had failed at selling his product and had sour grapes for people with more talent.

Jessica said...

Saw this and thought of you!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44963786/ns/today-today_pets_and_animals/t/snag-homes-shelter-pets-get-glam-makeovers/?gt1=43001

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Jessica - Thanks for sharing the link. I enjoyed that article and the examples of improved photos. Interesting idea of starting a non-profit. I think people are charity'd to death now-a-days, but I suppose if this job lasts I can start getting funding as a non-profit to help cover the cost of equipment at least. I have some items on my wish list already. I was told that if I found anything I could use at FISH, they'd give it to me for free.

achieve1dream said...

I'm so excited!! I'm glad you had such a great day and got so much done. I know how much that stressed you out. I hope you have many, many more good days like today. And congrats on the interest in your photography. I hope it finally takes off for you. You've put so much effort into it. :) Keep up the great work!