Thursday, October 13, 2011

I Wasn't Kidding

Usually, I'm kidding and joking around on my blog and people take me too seriously.  More recently, I know I sounded like I was kidding, but I was serious.  As soon as Scrappy got injured / sick, I said I'd have to sell my horses before they got sick, because I never have had just one animal get ill or injured within a 24 hour period.  One or two other animals always have to follow suit. 

I've been waiting for the temperatures to get warm enough for me to bathe Gabbrielle, because she keeps sleeping in her piles of poop.  I went outside, caught her, hosed her down, soaped her up, rinsed her, but before I could dry her I realized that Bombay was acting weird and trying to get my attention.  I also realized I hadn't seen Lostine around.  That's because she was laying flat on her side colicking.

Sigh.  I cut Gabbrielle loose while she was soaking wet, and I ran for the usual colic medications.  When I returned with them, Gabbrielle was covered in mud.  Of course, she had to roll.  I administered the meds to Lostine, groomed her, walked her for about an hour, encouraged her to drink, but she wouldn't drink or eat.  Her belly was distended and she was hot.

With these freezing temperatures at night and boiling temperatures during the day, her body can't keep up with the changes.  She grew too much fuzz.  I haven't started blanketing the horses at night yet because I wanted them to grow a little bit of a winter coat first, but with Lostine being old, she sprouted a bush of fur way too fast.  So, I sprayed her down with the hose and walked her some more, stopping to rest in the shade.

She eventually perked up enough for me to leave her.  My boots were causing me blisters from all that walking, so I staggered into the house feeling relieved that I can remove my boots, only to nearly step in a puddle of dog vomit.  Scrappy was throwing up again.  By tomorrow, if he's still throwing up, I'll know that it's not a side effect to the meds I gave him, because by then it should all be out of his system.  Then I'll have to take him to the vet, because it will mean something else is going on internally.  He's not showing any signs of pain anymore, so I can't say that the pain is causing him to vomit. 

I may as well put a sign in front of the house that says "Animal Hospice Care" because it seems that all I've been doing lately is running around trying to keep animals alive.

10 comments:

Mikey said...

When it rains, it pours for sure. I hope things get better all the way around.

TnTConnect said...

I am so sorry to hear about all the ailments there. Chin up; it will get better.

fernvalley01 said...

Yikes! How is Lostine now?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

She's eating her dinner now. I'm letting her have access to both the water in her stall and the water outside tonight so she will stay hydrated. Sometimes she poops in her stall water trough and then refuses to drink anything during the night.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh no! I sure hope Lostine is doing better. And Scrappy too.
My issue is appliances and cars. I always have everything break at once.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Val - That was me a couple of weeks ago. I'm still waiting for the microwave repairman. Sigh.

Reddunappy said...

I am going to start giving my mares soaked beet pulp again for the winter. I believe it helps keep their gut in better shape when they are stalled during the winter and when they wont drink the cold cold water. Especially my older mares. I have only had one colic, and it is no fun!! (well I had an old pony colic to and had to have her put down, not fun =o(

Anonymous said...

I think that everything goes in cycles and it pretty much happens to everyone at one time or another. Sure does here. So, you are not alone!

On one occasion the vet had just arrived to tend to a new mom with a problem and a new foal (different mom) that wasn't doing well, and another mom-to-be flopped down next to her truck in a colic. Moments later my hay guy showed up with 2 double loads. I needed a clone!

Dreaming said...

NuzMuz... you always seem to draw the short stick. I am so sorry to hear of allllllll of your troubles; neighbors, idiots who can't read, sick horses, sick dog, tax hassles - come on, girl! You deserve a break! You deserve better than this! I'm pulling for you! Come on lottery!
Hope things improve!

achieve1dream said...

I'm glad she's feeling better! I'll keep my fingers crossed that everyone is feeling better tomorrow.