Monday, October 31, 2011

News Flash!

My Corgi, Midge, just ran up to me and said, "Hello".  Only it sounded more like "Harro".

I just wanted to forewarn everyone that my blog posts may be few and far between for the month of November.  Like many other bloggers, I'm going to attempt to participate in NaNoWriMo or National Novel Writing Month.  I don't have high expectations that I'll be able to fire off 50,000 words by the end of the month mainly because for once we are actually experiencing decent weather in the Fall season, as opposed to snow.  I have to take advantage of this blessing of good weather.

As usual, I've got too many irons in the fire and just keep sticking more in there.  If I juggle too many things I end up accomplishing nothing, so I have to choose one project and work on nothing but that.  I thought participating in NaNoWriMo would help me get back into the routine of writing like it is a full-time job.  Although, I think that the only reason why I was able to complete a novel last winter was because it was one of the longest, coldest, iciest winters in our history and I couldn't go anywhere or do anything except sit in the house and write.

My biggest projects at the moment include...
1.  Finishing my current novel.
2.  Finishing our king-sized bed quilt before winter.
3.  Getting my photography business off the ground.
4.  Finish settling my mother's estate.
5.  Training Gabbrielle under saddle more and riding her regularly.
6.  Fixing up the house so that we can put it on the market and move some day.
7.  Moving all the manure in the convenient pile somewhere else so that I don't have to haul it very far through snow and ice once winter comes.
8.  Getting my body into a healthier and stronger state.
9.  Starting a new quilt to give to my brother as a Christmas gift.
10.  Making all the short stories I wrote in my 20's and 30's into a collection and publish them.  (I don't write short stories anymore, but every one I wrote for a class in college received an A grade, and every one I submitted for publication in literary journals got published, so they must be good.)

I've been trying to do at least one step toward each goal each week, but it's slow going because there are only so many hours in a day.  So, I'm trying a new tactic of choosing one major and one minor goal for the month.  I doubt that will work, though, because in reality, by the time I get done with all my daily chores of mucking out stalls, cleaning water troughs, scooping up dog poop, washing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning house, etc., there just isn't much time left.  I may have to toss cleanliness to the wind, or get creative with my schedule.  I have more housework and barn chores now than I had in years past, because the kids used to help out and now they are off at college, so all the work falls on my shoulders now.

If I could just get my mother's estate settled, I could hire people to help, such as someone to type up my collection of short stories.  Most were either typed on a typewriter or saved on a floppy disk, and we don't have any computers now-a-days that read floppy disks, so the stories will all have to be re-typed into a word processor from the original printout.  I could also hire a trainer to work with Gabbrielle some more, and hire a handyman to help with all the fixer-upper projects around the house.  It's amazing what a little extra cash can do to free up one's time and help out those who desperately need jobs.

So, in the meantime, I'll leave you with "goodbye", or as Midge might say, "Woodrye".

13 comments:

aurora said...

Funny on the "Harrow", it's familiar and makes me smile every time.

Best of Luck on your projects, they all sound wonderful! Good approach. No doubt you'll tackle them all, in good time. I'll look forward to an update when time allows.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Sounds like quite a to-do list. Good luck on getting through it.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Cute. My friend swears her dog says "I ruv roooo". You have and admirable to-do list. Good luck with your new novel.

Dreaming said...

Love the talking Corgi. You should encourage it. Well.... maybe not!

You have quite a list! I do a terrible job of setting long term goals like that... I so admire folks who can and do establish them. Good luck!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Harrow!
Too cute! I always think of Scooby Do when I hear that.

Best of luck working through that To-Do List. :)

~Lisa

Reddunappy said...

Have a good break, um, well from blogging that is! LOL
Inspiration to you on your writing adventure!

Anonymous said...

psst - external floppy disk reader ($26 from either Radio Shack or Office Max) saved me a lot of typing

Linda said...

You have a lot of goals--good luck! I love the idea of spending November writing, but it can be a busy month around here. January/February/March are my down-times. Still, I might give it a try, too. I'd be happy with 10,000 good words.

Breathe said...

You go girl! I'm writing for an hour every night to finish my WIP too.

FYI, google "scan typed document" for a work around to retyping.

Katharine Swan said...

I'm doing NaNo too NM, so you and I will be unavailable together! I blog about it regularly on my main writer's blog, blog.katharineswan.com, but I also have a blog site for my novel, RubyRansome.com.

I agree with Anonymous -- get a USB floppy drive. You can still find them, they're inexpensive, and they'll save you a LOT of time. Even scanning typed text using OCR software will require you to go through and edit, because there are inevitably lots of errors in the imported text. With a floppy drive, though, you can just import the text into your word processing software, and the only thing you'll have to fix is (likely) the formatting.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Yeah, I have a vague memory of cutting up all my floppies as soon as our last floppy disc drive went to the dump. I'll have to look around. I'll also see what kind of software I've got for my scanner. I think it only saves images, and quite frankly, I type faster than my scanner scans. :\

achieve1dream said...

Aww Midge is so cute!!

Wow, you are still swamped aren't you? I hope your mother's estate settles soon. That will be such a huge weight off your shoulders.

During November my house cleaning definitely slacks off! I try to keep up with laundry and dishes, but sweeping, dusting, etc. kind of fall by the wayside. :)

You'll figure it out. Just keep hammering at it. I'm excited that you're doing NaNo too. What is your username on the NaNo website?

Grey Horse Matters said...

Wow, sounds like you have a lot of projects in the fire. I'll bet it will be fun to go back over your short stories and see how your writing was from then til now. Good luck with everything.