Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Stuck in the Land of the Lost Time

It looks like this is turning out to be another one of those weeks in which I get the pleasure of spending every waking moment on the phone, and writing letters or emails to correct other people's mistakes.  It's enough to make one not want to do business with anyone else ever again.  Whatever happened to the concept of training and supervising your employees?  And whatever happened to the value placed on good customer service?

I continually run across these companies that make repeated mistakes and have no concept of what I had to give up to correct their mistakes.  Sometimes I have to suffer the consequences of their mistakes in a bigger way, such as losing customers or money instead of just time.  I would like restitution in those cases, but I'm lucky if I even get an apology.  The problem is that as long as these individuals and companies don't have to feel or experience the consequences of their errors, they simply don't care.  Instead of worrying that they may lose a customer or their job, they just say, "Good riddance.  You're a pain in our butt anyway."

I think that at the very least, the employee who made the mistake needs to be made aware of it and how it affected the customer.  If it happens again, the employee needs to be sent off for training.  Three strikes, and the employee should be out.  There are way too many unemployed people in this world to be letting incompetent employees who continually make the same mistakes keep their jobs.  It would be easy to replace them with someone who will take pride in his work.

Anyway, here's a list of some of the problems I've spent the past week correcting, some of these problems have been unresolved for months, some for years, despite all my efforts to fix them:

1.  I took out an online ad for my business, and someone input the wrong zip code, showing me as being in a completely different part of the country on Map It.  I haven't received any calls from that ad.  Gee, I wonder why?

2.  My doctor wrote down 18 pills on my prescription instead of 180, so I have to go to the pharmacy every few days to get more pills.

3.  My bank keeps charging my credit card for a Rewards Program that I have asked to be removed from three times, and never asked to be a part of in the first place.

4.  My mother's water softening service keeps sending me bills, even though I discontinued the service in August and sold the house in September.

5.  My microwave oven broke over a month ago and I am still trying to get the insurance company to work with me in either repairing it or replacing it.  Don't waste your time buying insurance for small items.  It never pays off.

6.  A file cabinet I bought several months ago keeps jamming and is getting worse by the day.  I bought an extra warranty, because I was told that the store would just give me a new one if anything went wrong with the old one, but after reading the small print I found out that there are all these rules, and of course it's not that simple.  I have to fill out a lot of paperwork and prove that the old cabinet cannot be repaired.  Also, a manufacturer's warranty cannot be in effect, and the manufacturer expects me to ship a 4-drawer mailing cabinet to them at my expense, which would cost more than just buying a new cabinet.  Don't waste your time buying warranties.  They never pay off.

7.  I'm struggling to get the junk mail situation under control, because when I started forwarding my mother's mail to my house, the post office didn't filter out the junk like I asked them to.  Now I have hundreds of pieces of mail I have to return to sender.  It's to the point where the begging letters from charities jam my mailbox and I almost need two mailboxes to hold it all.

8.  I'm having to fill out forms for my vehicle insurance company because the fact that we have five vehicles and only two of them are being driven on a regular basis confuses them.  Simple explanation:  I inherited one car and my two kids are off to college, leaving three vehicles sitting in our driveway.  But we still like to keep them registered and minimally insured in case someone needs to drive them.

9.  I'm still struggling with my mother's life insurance company since they don't want to allow me to collect.  I advise people to just save up for your death.  Don't bother buying life insurance, because the bastards won't pay up.  They'll leave your loved ones dangling.

10.  This problem will either come in the mail today or come through a phone call.  It's like clockwork.

14 comments:

Shai said...

Quick tip with mail, sort it as soon as you get back into the house. Anything that's spam/junk immediately put in the recycle or burn pile. Don't return to sender, it never works & is a waste of your time.

I have a feeling the junk forwarded from your moms is getting past the "no junk mail" rule because it's got your address stamped on it. They usually only take out non-addressed mail (at least that's Canada Post).

I hope it gets better for you.

Mikey said...

Ridiculous, isn't it? I never buy warranties for small items. The time spent dealing with the nonsense... I could just go get a new item in less time.

Reddunappy said...

What a PIA!! Sheesh.

The insurance that has payed off for us is the one we bought with our 46" LCD TV, the screen has gone out twice!!! The manufacturer fixed it the first time, and the insurance the second time! That was well worth the $300 extra!!!

Anonymous said...

the junk mail that has a prepaid envelope with it, here is a way to stop the people from sending more. place everything that came with the mail but your name and address back in the prepaid envelope and send it back. this will over load the prepaid postage and they will have to pay the extra when it is delivered.

Cheryl Ann said...

That's just AWFUL, Nuzz! You sound like you need a break from all of this.

Wazzoo said...

A quick call to your doctor and he could phone the pharmacy and fix your prescription problem in less than 5 minutes.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Wazzoo - Please don't insult my intelligence. What makes you think I haven't already done that? I wasn't born yesterday. This post is about problems I have tried to solve that are not getting resolved.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I used to hate all the junk mail, but a friend put it in perspective...

Someone has to be getting paid to stuff all those envelopes and such, so let them have their job. LOL

I will say, that is one thing I love about our fireplace. Now I have the perfect use for junk mail. ;-)

sue said...

well.. do I dare say that I work for the postal service and so understand the junk mail thing.. however, the post office isn't allowed to remove the junk mail, because it isn't "theirs".. and sadly.. I have had one person complain about all the junk and the very next person all excited because they "love to see what's for sale"... but none the less, I'm so sorry that things just can't go easy for you.. you certainly have had a long road, and I truly hope it will settle down before too long.. on other note, your photos are absolutely wonderful and I only hope the shelter really appreciates your time and talent.. they are very lucky to have you!!!! best wishes....

Cut-N-Jump said...

Like Sue said above, the post office is really not allowed to sort through your mail and determine what is junk and what isn't. What's that line? One persons trash is anothers treasure...

My sister worked for the post office so I know this is one of their 'rules'.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Oh and for the most part- Customer service in America SUCKS! Doesn't matter what industry, what services, what products, it just seems like nobody cares and they tell you to just go buy a new one. Get another brand next time and maybe it will do you better.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Okay, before I have more misunderstandings about my junk mail comment, I was given a form to fill out when I forwarded my mother's mail that allowed me to pick which classes of mail I wanted forwarded. Anyway, I took the mail to the post office the other day to find out which of it I could return to sender, and it turns out that non-profit organizations are protected from having mail returned to them, so I just have to throw it all in the trash. I just hate to think about all the trees that were chopped down to create this stuff.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Here I am a week later and I'm still giving up hours of my time trying to correct the prescription problem. I called the pharmacy for a refill and was informed that the doctor still hadn't corrected the quantity problem. Instead of getting a 3-month supply of pills like I'm supposed to, I'm still getting a 9-day supply. They told me I had to call the doctor's office AGAIN to fix it myself since the doctor is ignoring the pharmacy's attempts to fix it. The receptionist wasn't listening and got the message wrong, so I had to correct that, and now I'm stuck at home waiting for a call back from the nurse, which means I can't go outside to do barn chores or vacuum because I won't hear the phone ringing and will miss her call. Once again... I'm stuck in one place trying to fix someone else's mistake. A quick call and the problem could be fixed in 5 minutes, my ass. This is Nevada -- Land of the Incompetent.

achieve1dream said...

Wow that's insane!! I have those sorts of problems with my doctor and vet too. It usually takes me going up there and refusing to leave before they pay attention to me. It's so irritating to have to waste my gas and time to get something done. I wish doctors/vets would RETURN phone calls. Because I couldn't get my vet to call me back I'm having Chrome gelded somewhere else. I'll definitely be sure to mention that next time I talk to them. Three weeks is ridiculous. So yeah, know how you feel on that one.

I hope these problems are resolved soon. Sorry people are being such jerks.