Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Could and Should

With one week left of NaNoWriMo, I find that I have only written 30,000 out of the 50,000 words.  That doesn't mean all hope is lost.  I could still pick up a second wind and blow through the last 20,000.  I'm finding that it is difficult to concentrate on just one project for an entire month.  It's kind of like eating the same food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I need variety.

So, today I managed to do a little yard clean up, photograph more shelter animals, exercise all three horses, and work on my novel.

Lostine has been acting like she aged several years over the past few weeks.  Her body language tells me that she doesn't want to have to deal with another Eastern Sierra winter.  Bombay has been bored out of his mind and just follows Gabbrielle around all day bumping her in the butt with a Jolly Ball.  Between Lostine's depression and Bombay's boredom, I knew I had to give the horses at least an hour of my time.  I skipped cleaning stalls in order to exercise them.

The day was cold and windy.  Gabbrielle was the only horse to let me halter her, so I accepted her volunteerism.  The wind put her on pins and needles, so I had to be careful where I positioned myself while fastening her splint boots.  Sure enough, the second I bent down by her leg, a neighbor slammed a truck door and she spooked, kicking her leg out at me.  I jumped out of the way, and she quickly got a hold of herself instead of trampling me.  My biggest difficulty in lunging Gabbrielle is getting her to slow down.  I'm always afraid that she's going to crash into the round pen panels and break a leg, so I have to keep halting her as soon as she goes too fast and gets out of control.

Bombay has been feeling his oats.  He gets this look in his eye and I know he's going to "give me the finger."  It's this little game he plays that I try not to encourage, because it's dangerous and disrespectful.  While I'm lunging him, he veers into the center of the ring where I am standing and he bucks out to the side pretending like he's going to kick me.  He never tries to connect, but I don't know why he keeps doing it, because it always leads to a spanking.

Today he got that look in his eye, so I yelled whoa to head him off at the pass.  He jumped straight in the air and spun in the other direction, because he knew he had been busted for thinking about giving me the finger.  He took off at a gallop and I kept turning him until he came to a stop.  Then we took it from the top with me asking him to trot in a controlled manner around the outside of the pen.  He did well for a couple of minutes, and then that mischievous look came into his eyes again and before I could do anything, he veered in toward me at a gallop and bucked in my face.  I smacked him on the rump with my long whip and he looked like a dog tucking his tail in between his legs as he tried to escape his punishment.

I swear that horse thinks he is funny when he does stuff like that.  My husband thinks he keeps doing it because he likes being spanked.  Just what I need:  A horse who is into S&M.

Lostine was huffing and puffing and sweating during her workout because she's so fat and out of shape.  Something happened to get her riled up and she was blowing snorts loud as a locomotive huffing coal.  I had to work to settle her down and walk her for a while so that she would be properly cooled down.  Then I just herded all three horses around for a few minutes to remind them that I won't tolerate anymore middle fingers or running from the halter.  I think they got the point and should be better behaved next time around... "should" being the operative word.

11 comments:

Kelly (ridegroomfeed) said...

Pity that doesn't work on the neighbours ;)

Cheryl Ann said...

3 of mine had their lesson yesterday and they have ALL calmed down a LOT! Spooky Sunni is now calm Sunni, Quad is much more respectful, and Goofy Gigondas has settled down! They've all improved since August.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Horses can be such characters. I hope Lostine pulls out of her depression soon.

Happy Thanksgiving. I hope your neighbors stay quietly indoors all day, stuffing themselves and sleeping in front of their TV (with the volume turned down low and their windows closed).

Crystal said...

Always testing arent they?

fernvalley01 said...

Glad you get after Bombay for flippin you off! it only taks a tiny mistake on his part and someone could get hurt

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yep. Sounds like they're bored and just acting out. The flipping you off game would terrify me after being kicked in the face. That behavior is so dangerous and as you said, should never be tolerated. Naughty Bombay! Show some respect to your Mama!

~Lisa

Grey Horse Matters said...

Just stopping by to wish you luck with your writing and a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Leah Fry said...

That is so scary when they are all pent up like that. I know exactly what you mean!!

Dreaming said...

I'm glad you got some horse time in. I bet that was good for you and them. It is a bit tough when they are 'up'. Pippin has his moments in the round pen and on occasion I've been a bit concerned about his antics - so I can imagine how you might have felt.

Katharine Swan said...

I just wanted to stop by and say YOU GO GIRL! I saw your word count currently stands at 48k... I'd say you're going to make it to 50k. Before me, too! LOL You rock!

achieve1dream said...

Sheesh Bombay!! What a brat! I hope he learned his lesson and quits playing his little game. I bet they were all happy to get some exercise though to help with the boredom. :) Give Lostine a hug for me please. I hope she feels better soon.

Oh and please be careful putting the boots on. I just read about a woman who was adjusting the straps on her horse's blanket when another horse spooked him and he kicked her in the head and killed her. :( Very scary! Please be careful.