Saturday, November 26, 2011

I Did It!

I actually did it. I completed writing 50,000 words in a novel with 5 days to spare. Here's the deal: The NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) website graphs your progress after you register and as you update your word count. I was behind the count needed to finish on time throughout the majority of the month, only getting ahead on days 7 and 24 and the few days following.

Last week I was feeling defeated because I knew the 4-day holiday weekend was coming up and I figured I would get nothing written. However, the opposite happened. I wrote thousands of words over Thanksgiving and jumped way ahead on the graph, allowing me to surpass 50,000 words today. I have to give my husband a lot of credit, because he kept himself busy over the weekends and holiday and didn't try to pull me away from my hermitage in the bedroom where I was under the covers and typing away on my laptop.

Well, he did try to get me to go out and ride the horses yesterday, because it was such a nice day, and I considered it, but my neighbors were out making their usual racket, so I lost interest and stayed inside to write a few thousand more words. I also did all my Black Friday shopping online to save time. I know I should be shopping locally at small businesses, but so many of them have already gone out of business that there aren't many places left to shop around here. We've got plenty of fast food restaurants, but that's about it.

Thanksgiving was the easiest we've ever had. Since both kids were out of state, it was just my husband and I. He baked some chicken breasts in the oven, because we didn't want to have to hassle with turkey leftovers, and right about the time they were done baking, I spent maybe 15 minutes preparing the other portions of our meal, we ate while chatting with our daughter over speaker phone, my husband did the dishes, and we were done for the day. It think it took up a grand total of two hours of our time, which allowed me to spend most of the day writing.

I want to thank my writing buddies for their knowledge and encouragement:  Katharine Swan and achieve1dream

Now I've got to get out and spend some time with those horsies.

14 comments:

Leah Fry said...

Nuz, you're a better person than I, who can't seem to string together anything longer than a blog post. Some days, that's a struggle.

Katharine Swan said...

WHOO HOO!!!! You made it! I knew when I saw your massive jump in word count that you were going to beat me to 50,000. *happy dance*

I'll be right behind you. I have less than 2,000 words left to write. That's not the end for me, though -- I'm actually quite close to the end of this novel, so I'm trying to finish it entirely before the end of the month. Then I can give it a month's rest before I pick it up for revisions.

Dreaming said...

Woohoo! That must feel great to have met your goal! Congrats!
I did most of my shopping online last year - but we weren't near a town for shopping. This year, I haven't begun to do anything for my hubby's family - but have gotten some things already for my family. In fact, we gave the boys their Christmas last night!

Breathe said...

Fanatastic! I envy your progress, I started strong, but fizzled early.

Can't wait to read it!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Congratulations that's quite an accomplishment. Now you can go out and enjoy a ride on one of the ponies!

Once Upon an Equine said...

Congrats! That's a great accomplishment. Enjoy your horsey time. You deserve it.

Mikey said...

Congratulations, that's a LOT of words to write. I wish I had half your motivation. When Mercy goes back to school, I'm hoping to have the peace and quiet back, so I can write more. That's the hardest part for me, I need more than 5 minutes uninterrupted, and that seems to be impossible around here.
Hope you got some horse time in today!

fernvalley01 said...

Congrats! what a challenge!

Crystal said...

Wow congrats!! After the last post I dint think you were gonna make it, but you did. Hows the book coming?

aurora said...

Congrats on your accomplishment!

Johara said...

Wonderful! Congratulations!! :D

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well good for you. You must be really proud. Well done! It's too bad you can't count the number of words in your blog posts for the month. I'm sure you'd surpass the 50,000 word goal for sure. ;)
I'm lucky to just create a blog post, with a bunch of photos and a few words to go with it, a few times a week. I would never be able to, nor want the added pressure of having to reach a 50,000 word total. But of course, I have no aspirations to write a novel either.
Hey, have you herd about that interesting new voice software called Dragon for those that can't/or don't want to type?

I bet this will be a huge benefit for those who want to write more novels or blog posts, and all you have to do it talk and the computer does the rest of the work.

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thanks, everyone. The book is still a long ways from being ready to publish. It needs the ending written, and needs lots of editing and proof reading.

It's true that if we could count blog posts in the 50,000-word challenge, many of us would have no problem reaching the goal. It's always easier to write about something that actually happened than to make up fiction. If I used voice software to write, I'm afraid there would be coughs, sneezes, belches, and a few other wayward sounds interspersed throughout the manuscript.

achieve1dream said...

That is fantastic!! Congrats!!! I know you were so worried you wouldn't be able to make it. I'm so happy that you were able to do so much writing over Thanksgiving. I hate when I get right down to the last day like I did. I finished with an hour to spare. I was totally freaking out LOL! You did great! Congrats!