Sunday, November 20, 2011

Quick Story

So, I went outside at dusk, near darkness, to put the horses in their stalls, feed them and blanket them.  I heard the usual racket of power tools coming from my neighbors property, but didn't really pay attention.  It's par for the course that they have several men out there cutting and pounding well into the night.

I put each horse in his/her stall, and just when I was closing Gabbrielle's door, I heard a man scream, "LOOK OUT!" followed by a huge crash.  I jumped out of my skin and all the horses slammed against their stall walls trying to jump through their windows.  Gabbrielle almost made it through hers.  I whipped around to see that one man had been up in a tree right next to my barn with a chainsaw, and a huge branch fell down to the ground just on the other side of my fence, about thirty-feet away from me.  The old guy had been standing right underneath the tree like an idiot, which is why the other man had to yell.

I waited for the horses to settle down before attempting to blanket them.  Both men had walked off into their garage, so I thought I was safe.  Then while blanketing Lostine, she tried jumping through the stall window again with me reaching under her belly to attach her belly strap, because we suddenly heard another loud noise of crashing metal.  I yelled something like, "What the heck!?!" and looked outside to see that one man had returned to the tree to retrieve his metal ladder and instead of gently pulling it down and carrying it like we do, he pushed it to the ground and was dragging it along.

My husband says we will have to build a wall between us and them, because no one will buy our house once they see the junk yard next door.  I don't know if not being able to see what is making all these loud noises will make it better or worse for the horses, but I'm certainly willing to give it a try once we have the money and once the ground thaws out next spring.

5 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

good grief!!!

Mikey said...

Your neighbors are nuts. Good thing they didn't bring that limb down on your barn.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yikes! What chaos!

Sometimes fences make good neighbors...sometimes walls are even better. Build a wall and then move.

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

Shoot, it was almost one neighbor less!

Glad they missed the barn.

achieve1dream said...

I don't know if a wall will help the horses because it might make them nervous not being able to see what's causing the noise (like when they are in their stalls and there is noise behind the barn), but I'm sure it will make you feel better not having to look at their stupid junk yard! I hope you can sell you house and move someplace nice and quiet.