Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday Stills: Portraits

Here are a few more portraits from when I set my dogs up in my studio.




Because my photography studio is so small, I can't use a lens any longer than 50mm, and if I have two subjects together, I have to make sure that they are lined up even, side-by-side, otherwise one pet or person will be out of focus and I'll have to do a lot of sharpening in Photoshop. Light is always limited indoors, which affects how far you can take your aperture settings.

You may note that in all but the first picture, at least one dog is looking off to the right or has her ear cocked to the right.  Can you guess why?  Yup.  My neighbors were making their usual commotion next door and distracting them.  I use either cat meows or raspberries with my mouth, or bells or horns to get the animals' attention in the direction of the camera, but it usually only works the first couple of times and then I have to move on to a new tactic.  Whistling is not a good idea, because most dogs will leap off the set and run up to me.  With cats I will shake a feather boa where I want them to look.  The lady who works with me uses sound effects or ringtones on her mobile phone.  Sometimes if you tilt your head to the side when a dog is focused on you, the dog will tilt his head to the side too, making for a very cute picture.

I prefer the use of backdrops to avoid background distractions.  Try taking a picture of your indoor pets around the house, and then try setting them up in front of a solid colored sheet or blanket, and you'll see a huge difference in the quality of your photos.

Sunday Stills

15 comments:

Brenda said...

oh my goodness. They are so cute. Thanks for all the tips.. I do similar sounds and distractions for the horses, and the grandkids. Lol

fernvalley01 said...

adorable!

dibear said...

Too, too cute!! Our first studio poses of the day. Well done. :)

Leah Fry said...

Midge doesn't look at all thrilled with the antlers. Very cute shots.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Cute! Cute! Cute! And thanks for the photo tip about backgrounds.

Trapper Creek Daughter said...

I use cat meows, too! Very cute "pups".

Tami Weingartner said...

Great tip!

Breathe said...

I shoot many pictures of three dogs here and use them in a cartoon series. I'll have to send you one (the cartoons are all about our compliance area, but we have a few general ones you might get a kick out of).

I learned to shoot them against solid backdrops, because I have to edit out the background in photo shop. It's a whole lot of work - you're doing a fantastic job! I hope you are crazy busy with clients for the holidays!

Crystal said...

Those are soo cute! I love the first one with the flowers, Midge looks so happy in that one

Firas said...

Great cute pet portraits!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

You did such a wonderful job on these portraits. Midge and Scrappy are adorable!

~Lisa

Paint Girl said...

What awesome pictures!! Your dogs are great subjects!! I can never get my dogs to pose for pictures, but being crazy Aussie's, it is very difficult to get them to hold still for a second! They are way too busy!

Amish Stories said...

I'm visiting new blogs today for the first time, so i also thought id wish you a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your readers. And i hope that the day is spent generating positive memories for years to come. Richard from Amish Stories.

achieve1dream said...

LOL I like the idea of hanging from a chandelier in a clown suit. :) Since I doubt very much that I'll be keeping my NaNo version I'm seriously considering having my main characters get sucked into a wormhole and dropped on some other planet. I am soooo stuck lol. I think I should of written something else for NaNo. I'm too attached to this story line to change it or butcher it and that's holding me back lol. We'll figure it out though. :D

Oh and the pups are adorable!! Dogs barking on Youtube videos are great for getting attention too, but they might get too excited lol.

Just Ramblin' said...

Oh my word. These are too sweet.