Monday, November 28, 2011

Things That Go Bump in the Night

Sunday night I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to fall asleep without the help of any medications, however my bliss didn't last long when Scrappy leaped off the bed barking and running for the front door.  My husband said, "The horses are freaking out."

I heard hooves kicking the stall walls with full force and not in rhythm, but in the chaotic rumble of fear.  I grabbed a flashlight and ran out the front door, shining the light around the front lawn to make sure that I didn't run right smack into a buck.  I then ran out to the road, expecting to find deer behind the barn, but found nothing.  I ran around to the front of the barn and only saw two horse heads looking at me.  It looked and sounded to me like Bombay was cast against his stall wall.  I ran to his window just in time to see him get up, covered in something dark and limping around in his stall.

I thought he had bloodied himself up and injured a leg or two, and my heart dropped.  I made this choice of not putting him in a moving trailer to avoid his panic attacks and more injuries, and he managed to wreck himself in his 12x12 stall. 

I opened his stall door, and he came walking out.  The limp went away, and I shined the flashlight on his dark legs only to find that what I thought was blood was actually mud.  He had peed so much in the center of his stall that he created a wet spot that turned to ice and mud during the night.  After laying down, he couldn't get up because it was too slippery.  So, I left him out the rest of the night and will have to get all that pee out of there really well, and lay down a fresh bag of shavings or two or three to avoid this problem in the future.

7 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

UPDATE: My husband said that when he walked out the side door, he heard hooves galloping off. Since my horses were in their stalls, it had to be deer or loose horses. They probably scared Bombay that he slipped. He must have been completely on his back, because I found hoof scuff marks half-way up the wall of his stall at the height where his back would normally be.

Dreaming said...

Oh, I bet that got your heart pumping and made sleep far from your mind afterwards. Luckily everyone is OK.
The deer are going crazy around our area right now, so I can see how they could upset horses.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, gosh! That must have been scary. I hope he is okay.

fernvalley01 said...

Scary! I hate the sound of a horse flailing to get up in a stall, I have run out in -30 to grab them and help in my Pjs!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Whew! I'm glad Bombay's ok! That's such a traumatic way to be awakened. I bet you weren't able to get back to sleep without medication after that frightful experience!

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

UPDATE: The next night the dogs caught deer crossing our front lawn. The deer ignore my dogs, so I had to go out and chase them off before they went behind the barn and scared the horses again. Of course some idiotic driver had to come racing around the blind curve going way too fast right when I chased the deer into the street. Fortunately, they made it to the shoulder before he could hit them. The guy had to see them and he didn't even slow down. This was like at 10:00 at night. As a general rule, if a driver cannot see what is in the road ahead of him, he should always slow down. That's why the speed limit drops on curves. It has nothing to do with what speed a vehicle can handle a curve. It has to do with how fast you can stop if there is something in the road once you reach the other side of the curve.

achieve1dream said...

Scary!! Don't you hate when our horses do that to us? Chrome scared me the other night. I went out to feed and the other two were standing in the middle of the pasture. Faran was neighing and Chrome was no where in sight. I walked all over the thirty acres calling for him and finally found him at the back of the acreage just grazing and ignoring me lol. Brats!!