Friday, November 4, 2011

Winter Whips In

We had a cold front move in yesterday, so I fed the horses some beet pulp and bran mash to ward off colic with the sudden drop in temperature.  Miss Piggy always has to inhale her own serving and then steal Bombay's bucket right out from under his nose.  She even licks up what fell out of the other horses' mouths.  Yuck.

The wind was ferocious and ripped my hay tarp to shreds...

literally.

We got less snow than expected.  More like a light frost.

Despite the cold morning, my house began rumbling at 8:00 AM.  A neighbor was having truckloads of D.G. delivered to her barn, and because I blocked off my driveway, the truck driver was struggling to maneuver around.  He'd pull forward and back up, pull forward and back up, and each time he backed up his truck would beep outrageously loud.  My horses were still in their stalls and having this truck driving back and forth behind my barn was making them crazy.  I had to feed them to settle them down, because it wasn't safe for me to enter each stall and remove their blankets before setting them free.  They were just too scared.

Pretty much every morning this week my house has begun rumbling at 8:00 AM.  One neighbor had this huge crane trimming his trees, so in addition to hearing that diesel rumble for hours on end, I got to listen to the wail of chainsaws.  I honestly don't think there is a single considerate person in my entire neighborhood.  I understand that people need to have work done every once in a while, but can't they do it at a decent hour?  For a period of about one month I had one neighbor pushing dirt around with an earth mover at odd hours like 3:00 in the morning.  Do these people think that no one can hear that or feel the vibration?  I'm notorious for marching outside and yelling, "SHUT UP!"

It's that time of year when we get to start scraping ice off windshields.

All I can say about NaNoWriMo is that it is motivating me to work on my novel a little bit every day, but unless by some miracle the whole world goes away and leaves me alone, and problems stop popping up out of left field, I seriously doubt I'm going to reach the 50,000 word goal by the end of the month.

8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Looks like winter is starting to settle in around the country. Hope you get some work done with your writing.

achieve1dream said...

Awww I love those first two pictures!! I'll be back to read the post, just wanted to let you know I tried to add you on the NaNo site and it said your username didn't exist. Weird. Can you try adding me? It's achieve1dream

My hand is a lot better today. Just the thumb is bruised a little and doesn't really hurt unless I bump into something. :)

Vaquerogirl said...

I do Nanowrimo too!
Did you know that Ellen Hopkins lives close to you? And Suzanne Morgan Williams? Both excellent writers BTW.

Katharine Swan said...

To me, the point of NaNo is to provide inspiration to write MORE. Who cares if you get to 50k? You're writing more than you would have if you weren't doing NaNo, I'll bet!

My screen name is Katharine Swan, by the way, if anyone wants to look me up. NM, I saw you already buddied me, and I buddied you back. :o)

Dreaming said...

Your first picture, with all three heads in a line, is beautiful!
Good luck with the novel. One day... maybe.... I'll try it.
I do like Katharine's comment about NaNo being inspiration to write 'more'... so, as long as you have written more than you normally would have, I'd consider the month a success!

sue said...

just wanted to say I LOVED that first photo, you probably couldn't get that if you had planned it....

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Seeing your windshield covered in ice makes me so grateful I never have to park my car outside. We keep our garage clear of clutter so we can park our cars and tractor inside. I don't even have to walk outside on a cold morning....from house to garage to car. Perfect!

That must be terribly annoying being woke up every morning by so much noise and vibration. One of our neighbors were building an addition onto their house this past summer and had a huge crane working each morning and afternoon. It did make a lot of noise, but it was up by the barn and not near the house, so we didn't get too bothered by it. I though my horse, the llamas and the goats would, though. But I never saw them looking scared, spooked or stressed, even with that huge crane arm moving up and down and swinging side to side. I'd check on them and they'd be asleep in the sun with all that commotion going on. lol!

I'm a little surprised that you took on the additional pressure and responsibility of NaNoWriMo. You have such a busy, stressful life, I would think that adding more stuff to do, especially if the challenge goal is too big to complete. That's why I try not to make New Years Eve goals because I don't want the pressure or the feeling of failure if I don't reach them.
If you still want the goal of writing more, make a more manageable goal, like reaching 25,000 words, or even 10,000 for that matter. Whatever is a manageable amount. The goal shouldn't be to reach someone else's goal, but only your own.

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Ick if I had to deal with ice already I would cry lol. It's almost 70 degrees today lol. I guess winter is taking it's time getting here. Normally it's pretty cold by now.

I think if there was one thing I would change about your property it would be to take that stupid road away from behind your barn. Your poor horses. I hope they settled down once they'd eaten and realized it was nothing that would hurt them.