Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Decision

I did more research on the Internet regarding trucks, and called the Dodge salesperson I previously dealt with to ask some questions. It turned out that our semi-local dealership had some of the best deals on trucks and a couple of new shipments came in, so they had every color available. The bumble bee yellow is only an option with the 3/4 ton, which was more truck than I wanted to buy. I went back and forth between the fire red and the deep cherry. Fire red is more flashy while the deep cherry is more classy. I've always wanted a burgundy colored vehicle, so I went with the deep cherry 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Express style.



My last truck was a 2001 Ford F-150 Crew Cab and I didn't like that the cab took up so much space that there was hardly any bed for hauling hay.  Since our kids have flown the coop, there's no need for us to have a crew cab anymore, but I still wanted a backseat for my camera equipment and the dogs.

We got several thousand dollars in a rebate that ended the day I bought the truck.  My husband was able to barter a good price for our trade in as well, so the purchase ended up costing considerably less than I expected. I was having a hard time spending money from the sale of my mother's house, but her financial adviser explained that it's okay to start managing or spending the money on things we need to meet our immediate goals, and we should just set aside enough to cover any additional unexpected debts and taxes. I was going to wait until everything was paid off, but being able to buy a more powerful replacement for my weak truck now instead of later just got me one step closer to being able to swap out my 2-horse luxury trailer with a 3-horse stock trailer that is Bombay-proof.

The dealership managed to get us in and out in two and a half hours, which is a record for us. Usually when we buy a new vehicle, we're stuck there for four to six hours. I still have to get a trailer brake, receiver and hitch installed before I can see how it hauls. I'm thinking about getting side-mirror extenders, but the current mirrors are actually quite wide and stick out fairly far. I'm not sure I could drive the truck through my gate if I extended the mirrors.

The next step is to pay off some of our debts and start fixing up the house so that we can either rent or sell it.  The UPS delivery man went to my annoying neighbors' house, and then stopped at mine.  He said, "What's up with that sign on your neighbors' gate?"

I asked what it said.  He told me:  "Deliver packages to front porch or don't deliver packages at all."  It didn't even say "please".  He said that they let their dog run around on their front lot and it tries to attack him, so he had been leaving their packages at their gate in order to avoid getting bit.  I just shook my head in disgust over my neighbors' rudeness.  They think their dog is so sweet and have no idea how it behaves around strangers.

They let it get loose again while I was working with my horses, and it made a beeline to my lawn to do its business.  My annoying neighbor came out to try to catch the dog since I was outside to witness their indiscretion, but she would only go as far as her front gate.  I think she's finally figured out that I don't want her on my property.  When the dog didn't come when she called, she just gave up and went back in the house, leaving it to wreak havoc on the neighborhood.  The dog considered running down the highway to chase after the man in the truck, who was once again racing to get away from the dog while it crapped on my lawn.  I guess he thinks that if he's not in proximity, he's not responsible for what the dog does. 

I moved my new truck on a part of our property that's behind a locked gate so that their dog couldn't pee on my tires, and so that they couldn't get nosy and come over to inspect the new truck.  I know from experience that I can't buy anything new or have a package delivered to my doorstep without them sneaking over to investigate what I got.  No wonder they are so paranoid about having delivery men leave their packages out by the road.  They know how they are around my packages, so they probably expect other people to be the same way.  Sheesh.  If they only knew how unique they are.

15 comments:

Breathe said...

What a great looking truck! Too Exciting!

Ms Martyr said...

Congratulations on your new truck. We've had very good luck with Dodge - just sold our '84 Ramcharger last year and now have an '06 Dodge Dakota. It's been great so far.
I'd hate to sacrifice a delivery person but if the neighbor's dog bites one, they could be sued and that might end all your problems with them.

Crystal said...

Congrats on the new truck!! It looks good. im sure you will like a Donge way better than a ford anyways ;)

Katharine Swan said...

Wow, your truck looks fantastic! Congratulations!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Nice truck! ;-) I love the deep cherry color too.

Sadly, your neighbors are not unique. More the norm these days it seems. Unique seems to be people who are responsible for their animals and mind their own damn business. LOL

Mikey said...

Nice truck! I bet it will pull just fine.
Your neighbors are SO weird. Honestly... I hope you get out of there soon. I would never be able to stand it.

appydoesdressage said...

That is one nice truck! Congrats on your purchase and for getting a good deal on it. I really like the deep cherry, I think you made a great choice.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

OMG! So, this afternoon I was talking on the phone when the dogs ran at the door barking. I figured a delivery man was leaving a package on the porch. About an hour later I went outside and found two packages sitting on top of our garbage can on garbage night! If I hadn't gone outside and found those packages, the garbage men would have picked them up and taken them to the dump! I don't know if this was the UPS driver's doing, or if my nosy neighbor read my blog and moved them off my porch onto the trash can out of spite. My UPS drivers have never been that irresponsible. Maybe this is a new guy temporarily hired for the holiday.

Once Upon an Equine said...

Beautiful truck! Congratulations. May you never find your neighbors sitting in it and playing with your radio presets. You are kind to call them "unique". UPS should hold all of their packages at their station and make them pick them up there. That is terrible of them to leave their dog in the yard and expect someone to deliver to their doorstep. Even the sweetest most mild mannered dog can be very protective when home alone.

sue said...

congratulation on your new wheels.. I have the "sister" to your truck!!! mine is the exact same color, but it's an '03,,, I love my truck and it's been great.. good for towing my trailer and just running around. Sadly, I am thinking about moving it along.. and have begun to look at the Durangos.. which I had before my truck.. but with the dogs, grandbaby and the fact we have a barn and I do need to transport tack and hay, a suv will serve me better now than a truck. Sending wishes for many many happy miles...

fernvalley01 said...

Very nice truck! Congrats!

strivingforsavvy said...

Beautiful truck. good for you!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Congrats on the new truck. She's a beaut! I've always been leary of buying a red car because cops tend to pull you over more often than if you are driving any other color. But the deep cherry color is much darker than the flashy red, so you made a good choice there.

Enjoy!

~Lisa

ps. It's snowing here today. Already 3" on the ground and we're expecting up to a foot before this storm is over.

Dreaming said...

Congrats on your new truck. It is beautiful!
I hope you have many, many miles of pleasurable driving!

achieve1dream said...

Wow congrats on the new truck! I love the color you chose. Very nice!!