Wednesday, December 14, 2011

SNAFU after SNAFU

I don't dare tell this story on my photography website, but the other day I had my most embarrassing photo shoot yet.  I started taking pictures when all of the sudden my camera began ignoring my presses on the shutter release button.  I looked at the LCD screen and it said my card was full.  Oops, I forgot to delete the hundreds of pictures I took the previous week after I uploaded them to my computer.

Now I was in a quandary, because I couldn't individually delete hundreds of photos, and if I deleted the entire card, I would lose all the pictures I just took that hadn't been uploaded to my computer yet.  I decided to switch over to my back-up card for storage, but soon that was full too.  I apologized to my client and said that I needed to upload all the photos to my computer while she waited, so that I could them clear the cards and finish the day's photo shoot.

I went inside and started up my MacBookPro, only to get a blue screen of death.  I tried restarting it, but it appeared to be fried, and I just bought the damn thing a couple of weeks ago!  I ran into my son's room and asked him if he had a card in his camera that I could use to finish the photo shoot, and he did, but it only had a tiny bit of storage.  I then asked him to work on my computer and see if he could fix it.

I got another 50 shots out of my son's card before it was full, so I had to start deleting the bad pictures while my client waited in order to make room to finish the shoot.  When I still needed to take more pictures, I ended up just grabbing my Canon point-and-shoot and gave up on both my Nikon and my Mac.  Then my Canon started acting up.  The auto-focus stopped working and the pictures were way overexposed.  It has just never been the same since that time it rolled out of its case and sat in a car trunk in 140-degree heat for several days before I noticed it was missing.

The whole day was just full of ridiculousness.  We took a cat from the animal shelter to photograph, and told a man on staff that we were doing that, but I guess he forgot, and he put out an all points bulletin notifying everyone that a cat was missing from the shelter.  So, we got back to the shelter and hoards of people were out and about searching for the missing cat.

I hope I don't have to experience another day like that in a long time, because otherwise I may have to change careers... again.

My husband suggested that I make a list of everything I need to do before a photo shoot and include clearing the cards and turning on the computer as some of the items on my list, so I did that.  My other most unpleasant surprise was when I did an entire photo shoot unaware that the camera had been set to JPG mode instead of RAW.  The quality of those pictures left a lot of be desired because so much detail was lost, and I could not do a retake.

I know it's all part of the learning process, but it sure feels like someone is out to get me when every piece of my equipment fails all at the same time.  It's as if the universe is trying to sabotage my efforts.  My son did finally get my computer up and running, but by then the photo shoot had ended.  Anyone who thinks being a photographer is an easy, stress-free job, think again.  At least since I work for myself, the only person who can yell at me besides my client is me.  I wouldn't trade working for myself over having a supervisor any day.

P.S.  I tested out the electrical on the tow package by hooking it up to my trailer, and it works.  However, when disconnecting the trailer, a piece of plastic broke off the bumper of the new truck.  Sigh.  I was able to put it back together, but seriously?  Doesn't anyone test out their products now-a-days or even care about quality?  The next step is to find time to actually tow the trailer around empty to see what setting I should use, and then tow with horses.

6 comments:

Mikey said...

Good heavens, when it rains it pours. That's just one thing after another! Hope the next time goes better. I do lists too, but they get so long, lol..

Katharine Swan said...

The idea of a pre-photo shoot list is a good one. I'd also suggest having LOTS of memory cards, so that you always have empty ones in reserve. My brother-in-law is a photographer too, and he claims it's better to have a lot of smaller-size cards (i.e. no bigger than 1GB), rather than just a few large cards -- that way, if a card fails, you'll lose fewer pictures.

fernvalley01 said...

At least the electrical worked on the trailer! I have always thought Photographers had a tough job. not all glitz and glamour

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Oh boy...days like that just suck!

Getting the setting on your trailer brakes sans horses is a good idea, but remember that you will need to adjust again with horses. The additional weight of the horse(s) changes how much the trailer will push you when you are braking.

Replacing trailer brakes is cheaper than on your pickup and horses handle stops better if the braking starts from the trailer vs. the pickup doing all the work (that has a tendency to throw the horses forward in the trailer and causes them to scramble to balance.)

Tervpack said...

Changing from film SLR to digital SLR has been nice, but for some reason it has taken FOREVER for me to remember I can change the ISO whenever I want, not just with a new roll of film LOL. Therefore, I have been known to forget to check that. Try a whole photoshoot at 1600 ISO. *sigh* So embarrassing.

achieve1dream said...

Sheesh what a day!! I hope the client was understanding and I'm glad your computer was saved from a blue death lol. And that the electrical on the truck works. :)