Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Spa Room Project

This old spa has been the elephant in the room when it comes to my photography studio. Whenever we needed to pull costumes off the wall, we had to traverse the edge of the spa. Whenever I photographed cats, we had to keep a close eye on them so that they wouldn't slip down underneath the plastic and get under the house between the deck and the hot tub.  So, I hired a handyman to remove the spa and fill in the deck.

These old holes in the ceiling are leftover from when we removed the leaking skylights. We put a roof over the holes, but never fixed the inside, which resulted in a lot of heat being lost in the winter months. I asked the handyman to fix that too.

Also, the lights were very dim, so at night it was hard to see in this room. I asked the handyman to replace the two track lights with two other newer lights that would brighten the room more and allow me to point the light where I wanted during photo shoots on cloudy days and dark nights. My studio lights really aren't powerful enough for my purposes.

Here is what the deck looked like once the spa was removed...

We found an old Budweiser can buried down there, probably left behind by the guys who installed the hot tub incorrectly in the first place.  This explains so much...

Here's what the deck looked like once the hole was filled in with redwood planks...

The drywall sheets were going in, and the handyman talked me into putting up four new sets of lights instead of just two.  He ran the electrical wiring over to the next old skylight holes that didn't previously contain lights.  This was a good move, because the room is so much brighter with those extra lights.

Of course, now I've got twelve light bulbs to change instead of just six, but I'll deal with it.

Next he stained the deck...

...and puttyed in all the drywall.

He's letting all that dry, and then will return after Christmas to sand it down and finish painting and staining.  There is now much more room to move around in the studio and the animals can run around all they want without us worrying that they might slip through a huge gap in the floor.  This is a project I have been wanting to get done for 15 years now, but it has always been hard to find someone to do the job and to find the money to pay him.  Eventually, I usually get what I want.  I just have to be patient.

13 comments:

Dreaming said...

Wow! What a difference! It looks so much more finished. I bet the light in there is going to be super!

Katharine Swan said...

It all looks great! Your handyman did wonderful work on that deck, and I really like the way it looks to have the elevated deck in that room. It'll be nice for photography, too. And the extra lights sound like they were a good move!

Mikey said...

Looks good! That's going to make the studio so much better!

Linda said...

The beer can does tell a tale. lol. Congratulations on getting it almost done!

Cheryl Ann said...

Looks great! Can he come over to my house?

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sweeet! What a great job. Good for you having patience, too. It would have driven me a little crazy having to wait that long, especially after you created your photography studio. Now it looks so professional looking, and the deck will allow you to place the animal up there for photos, and have you down below at their level. Perfect!

Congrats!!

~Lisa

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow! I have missed a lot here but I guess considering how long I've been down, that makes sense. Still I hate that I have missed so much and it will probably be a while before I am really back up and running again.

The beer can is definitely telling. I'm glad you're getting the opportunity to fix things the way you've always wanted. The extra lights sound like great thinking.

I hope you're having a good holiday season despite the nosey neighbors.

Crystal said...

Looks good, nice you finally found someone to get it done!!
I usually get what I want too, but am not very good at the patient part.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I just wanted to thank for the Christmas card you sent. That was very thoughtful. I would have sent one in return, but I've not done Christmas card sending for a few years now. Trying to keep my life as simplified as I can. lol!

And I want to say....Merry Christmas to all of you there, from Lisa and the entire herd at the Laughing Orca Ranch!!

Sydney said...

much better! That will liven up the area.

Leah Fry said...

Good for you! I know what you mean about having to wait to get stuff done. My imagination is limited only by the size of my wallet.

And BTW - Merry Christmas!

aurora said...

What a great feeling it must be to get this project done. Doesn't sound like you were enjoying the spa space, and now the possibilities are endless. I'm sure the extra light will come in handy. Enjoy your new space!

achieve1dream said...

That already looks better and is going to look totally awesome when it's done. :D I'm impressed. He did a great job.