Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Tow Package Saga Continues

I just want it to end!  So, today I drove the hour into the city to pick up my truck with its complete tow package.  At first, I thought I was getting a complete tow package from the dealership where I bought the truck, but that didn't happen.  So then I ordered a complete tow package from a truck accessory shop.

The owner was busy with another customer, so he just quickly handed me my keys and mentioned that my ball was sitting on the passenger side floor.  I thought that was a bit odd.  Why not install it?  That's what I was paying them to do.  But then I figured they just didn't want someone stealing it off my truck while it was parked in their lot.  Their shop was in kind of a bad neighborhood.

I got in the truck and hesitated, thinking I should make sure everything is in order before leaving, but some lady in another truck drove up and was waiting for me to back out so that she could have my parking spot.  Considerate me can never pass up an opportunity to help somebody out, so I backed up right away and headed off down the highway.

I got home only to discover that the truck accessory place neglected to include a bar and cotter pin to lock the ball in place.  Argh!  I wanted to call up the guy and say, "What part of 'complete tow package' do you not understand?"

This is what pisses me off about the type of service we get now-a-days.  People just don't seem to understand that when a customer hires them to do a job, they expect them to do the whole job unless otherwise stated.  Most people do not have the time to go to the hardware store or shop for the missing part online and wait another two weeks for it to arrive.  Being a truck accessory shop that specializes in installing tow packages, one would think they'd have plenty of these parts lying around.  But maybe not.  When I asked the owner why he didn't have any of the tow package parts in his shop at the time I brought my truck by, he said, "It's not towing season."

Nevadan's have this bizarre concept of every activity having its own season.  It may not be towing season for people who are into towing recreational vehicles like motorcycles and ATVs, but if my horse needs to be rushed to the vet clinic, I'm going to need to be able to tow at any time of the year.  There's no season for horse injuries.

Fortunately, in my case, my husband removed the ball and pins from our old truck when we traded it in, so I was able to use those parts to finish what the truck accessory place should have taken care of in the first place.  I'm not done yet, though.  I still need to hook up the trailer and make sure all the electronics work.  I'm just starving from my long day of driving all over the place, so I'm taking a snack break.

One thing I am happy about is that they were able to mount the trailer brake control in a location where I won't hit it with my knee.

They took into consideration that the cup holder should still be able to fold down and not hit the trailer brake control.

Now we will just have to be careful not to spill anything.

6 comments:

Mikey said...

So it's finally done?! YAY!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Mikey - I hope so, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. It got dark outside before I had the chance to hook up the trailer and test it out. That's on tomorrow's agenda. If all is good at that point, then it will be done.

Linda said...

Mine hits my knee, so I know what you mean. :/ I hope it works tomorrow!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Eeeek! Now why did you have to go and say that? You're gonna jinx yourself.
Only drink from cups with a lid!

lol!

~Lisa

fernvalley01 said...

Not towing season???? what the heck? rodeo competitors tow year round , as do many others for many reasons ! What about snow machines ,this dude was a bit off in his assesment .Just admit you failed to do the complete job, offer a rebate and get on with the thing! Seriously , not much service isn service anymore is there

achieve1dream said...

I'm glad you had the spare parts, but that's totally ridiculous for them to charge you for something and not give you everything you need. Maybe they left it somewhere in the truck and you'll find it. Did you call them and tell them it was missing? They might mail it to you, since you don't need them in a hurry. Anyway I'm happy it's done finally. :)