Thursday, January 12, 2012

It Was Nice While It Lasted

I have gotten so used to tourists speeding past my house that I don't even blink an eye at it anymore.  However, today I looked out my window to find that a sheriff's deputy managed to pull over two drivers speeding in opposite directions at the same time in front of my house.  That takes some raw talent.  I was impressed.

I grabbed a bag of gourmet popcorn and enjoyed the show as he wrote out their tickets.  During the time he spent in front of my house, all the other drivers were driving between 20 and 30 mph in the 35 mph zone out of fear of getting busted too.  I hoped the deputy would camp out in front of my house for a while, but he took off for somewhere else and traffic returned to its normal speed of 45 to 55 mph in the 35 mph zone. 

I always wondered why they didn't set up a speed trap in front of my house more often, because it's a logical place.  Since it is in the middle of an "S" curve, the deputy can hide fairly easily, and tourists come out of a 55 mph zone into a 35 mph zone to bypass traffic in town, causing congestion in our residential neighborhoods.  Many of them don't want to come down from their 55 mph, so they just keep driving that speed through streets where dogs and horses and kids get loose.  Also, every one of my neighbors' who have property on those two curves have had speeders crash through their fences at one time or another.  Just based on the sheer number of accidents and memorial crosses on those curves, you'd think the sheriff's office would be monitoring this area more closely. 

If the deputy had stuck around, I would have shared my popcorn with him.

7 comments:

Crystal said...

Got 2 guys, but unfortunatly probly wont slow them down unless they see cops out more often.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Guaranteed that won't slow anyone down, not even the ones the police ticketed. But you should offer up your property to the police. It will provide countless hours of entertainment for you...and maybe keep the nosy neighbors off your property, too!

~Lisa

Deanna said...

I think the Deputy should have hung out longer!! I have no sympathy for people getting tickets in residential areas!!
And here you would have shared your popcorn with him too. He'll never know what he missed!!

BobbieNoSocks said...

I probably would have grabbed the popcorn too.

achieve1dream said...

Haha! That's awesome! I wonder the same thing about certain roads where it never fails people speed all the time. I think it's an understaffing problem. They just can't be everywhere all the time unfortunately. It would make me really happy to see more people getting speeding tickets lol. :D Glad you enjoyed the show.

shenandoah bed and breakfast said...

That’s good you were at slow speed and taking care as to avoid any road accident.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Shenandoah Bed and Breakfast - What the hell are you talking about? Did you even read this post? Obviously, you are just coming around my blog to advertise. Try your wares somewhere else.