Friday, January 27, 2012

Rich Moments Around the Ranch

It's such a nice day, I thought I'd go outside and take pictures of the horses.  They are all a mess, but there's not much point in grooming as long as there is mud on the ground.  Here's Bombay itching and Gabbrielle taking a stroll in the background...

Gabbrielle licking a remnant of a salt lick and Lostine pigging out in the background...

This was about 30-seconds into my photo shoot, and right on time, my nosy neighbor came out to see what I was doing.

Lostine has to throw her whole body into the process of sucking up dregs...

Taking naps while lined up at the water fountain.  The bossy redhead in front always has to tease the kids in line by purposefully drinking until the bell rings to end recess...

And there's always some kid who has to cry over not getting his drink.

Bombay teaching Gabbrielle how to lick my hand and not devour it between her lips...

Bombay had to be taught the command "nice nice", which means lick, don't bite, because when he was a young colt he was always nipping at people.  Now he's very gentle.  I could put any food item in my hand and close my eyes, and not have to worry about him biting me.  However, I do have to worry about him biting my camera strap.

We got into a game of tug-o-war.  I won.

I wasn't using my good camera, but there was still no way I was going to let a horse rip it right out of my hands.  When I walked outside to photograph the horses, the man next door was looking right into my sliding glass door at me as if he were standing in his yard waiting for me.  Then his wife came out and tried to sneak behind my barn to spy and eavesdrop, but her dog shook its collar and gave her away.  So, then she resorted to her routine of frantically digging through her car in search of something she can never find.  She's been searching for it for six years now, and the number of hours she puts into searching for it correlates with the number of hours I spend outside with my horses and doing chores.  You can see her off in the distance here with her car door open...

Gabbrielle glances over with an annoyed expression...

Here she's complaining because the lady slammed her door and it hurt Gabbrielle's ears.

Bombay making faces behind the annoying neighbors' back...

Gabbrielle demonstrating on Bombay how she would like to bite the neighbor for always hovering around and making loud noises...

Note that the annoying neighbor was taking her time walking from her car to her porch throughout this series of shots.  She has this other routine of heading back to her house, and stopping every few feet to bend over and pick some invisible item up off the ground.  That allows her to loiter longer.  She keeps her back to me during the process, but her ears are in supersonic hearing mode.  Gabbrielle was so mad about this intrusion during our photo shoot that she pooped in her water...

Or maybe that was me.  Looks like I've got some cleaning to do.

I had two sets of garnet earrings that I loved.  One was a dangling earring set, and I lost three pearls off it a few months ago.  The other is a stud set, and one of them fell out of my ear last night.  I looked all around in our bed and on the carpet, and then remembered pulling my hair back and tucking it under the hood of my jacket while I was in Gabbrielle's stall, and feeling my hair get caught on the earring.  I went into her stall this morning hoping I'd get lucky and catch a glint of gold, but I don't think I'll have much luck finding it in this mess...

If it does turn up, I'll consider it the greatest miracle this side of my water trough floater.  I'm off to drive my nosy neighbors crazy by crawling around on my hands and knees on the stall floor.  I'll try to clean it first.  I don't need to lose a perfectly good pair of jeans too.

7 comments:

Mikey said...

Looks nice up there today! Glad you're getting out and getting some horse time in.

fernvalley01 said...

Glad you had some fun with the ponys

Breathe said...

Those horsy faces were hilarious!

Crystal said...

Liking the horse commentary :0

achieve1dream said...

I'm horribly behind, but I am definitely trying to catch up lol. Just wanted to stop by to leave you a link to an award on my blog for you! http://rdxhorses.blogspot.com/2012/01/liebster-blog-award.html I'll be back asap!

achieve1dream said...

Ha! I actually tried to make a dent in the mud coats on my horses and you're right it's pointless LOL!

I like how they are lined up for water. That's adorable. :)

So how did you teach Bombay the be nice cue? Chrome needs that one sooooo bad!!

I LOVE seeing the horses' opinions of your evil neighbor. So cute.

I hope you find the earring!! I stopped buying nice ones because I'm always losing them too. In fact I haven't had any in for a long time. I hope I can still get them in.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Bombay and Gabbrielle's expressions were perfect for your comments about your neighbors. Too cute!

~Lisa