Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Earplugs, Please

These pictures pretty much sum up how my week has been going. The truck traffic outside was more obnoxious than usual. I looked out my window to find this truck blocking the end of my driveway...

And this truck blocking our mailboxes...

There were tractors and other machinery parked all up and down my private drive. The county employees who were supposed to working on the road were all standing around yelling and laughing loudly on my property. My dogs were barking. My horses were spooking. And I couldn't get out of my driveway.

I took some pictures, and suddenly they got back to work...

What is it with people that makes them so incredibly disrespectful of private property? I'm beginning to think that the definitions of "private" and "public" need to be fully comprehended before anyone is awarded a high school diploma.

The irony of all of this is that they are here to repair the drainage ditches alongside the public road, but in the process they are turning all of their vehicles around on my private road, and my husband just spent several evenings repairing our road with a shovel because the traffic pulling U-turns on our dirt road has been digging some deep holes.  So, while repairing the public road, the country workers are destroying our private road and canceling out all the work my husband did.  They are like the thousand-pound gorilla.  There's not a damn thing us little guys can do about it.

I was trying to get all my tax forms together, but the noise outside is so outrageous that I can't concentrate. There's the BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP of all the trucks backing up and turning around in my driveway. There's the endless yelling of flag men. Then there was the idiot truck driver who saw one of his buddies standing in front of my house, so he had to honk all the way down the highway for a good ten seconds, scaring the bleep out of me and all the animals in the neighborhood.

I spent probably three hours yesterday searching for more houses to tour in Arizona and literally felt nauseated by the time I was done.  All I could find were small ranches that were surrounded by condos, subdivisions, storage unit facilities, other businesses, junk yards...  I look at that and think that maybe I'm better off staying where I am.  Then I wake up in the morning to find that construction has taken over my neighborhood.  I swear, if I didn't have dogs and horses to take care of, I would just hit the road and find some quiet cabin in the mountains to rent for a few nights just so I can reconnect with nature and remember what peace and quiet sound like.

5 comments:

Deanna said...

Yikes. That would drive nuts! I'm so sorry. I hope you are able to find a new place soon! Don't give up!

fernvalley01 said...

I think a holiday/getaway is just what you need! If you can I would run!

fernvalley01 said...

Just read the rest ,I guess you are stuck like me , I can only go away if I can find a farm sitter

Linda said...

It's hard to find quiet anywhere anymore...you have to go further and further out and then you have other issues, like no internet. We have to contend with planes from the military base nearby, but it's nothing like we had at our old house. We lived by a small country airport, but they'd taken funds from the FFA to build a new runway, so the government could use it whenever they wanted. Military planes would fly in from a long way away on almost any good day and practice touch downs. They'd usually do this at the best part of the day when you wanted to be outside having a picnic on your deck.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'm telling ya...you really should have a look at New Mexico for good horse property. Your money will go a long way and you'll have your privacy and peace of mind, too.

~Lisa