Thursday, February 23, 2012

One Foot In Front of the Other

I've been trudging ahead.  My apologies for being absent from your blogs.  Never ever ever try to settle an estate, pay taxes, refinance a house, buy a new home, and try to fix up the old home for sale all at the same time.  Even if you had ten clones, there wouldn't be enough of you.  I got both phones ringing at the same time, emails coming through with forms to sign, and people coming to the door with deliveries all at the same time.  I don't think I've been able to sit down and eat an entire meal in days.

Here's the latest on the house I want to buy.  Cut-N-Jump commented about some communities trying to push horse people out with their Master Plan.  That's what has been going on in my county where I live now.  The county is all about making money, and they think they can make more money off the motocross crowd, so they are taking away all the horseback riding trails and facilities and turning them over to the motorized vehicle hobbyists, which pisses off all the homeowners who moved out into the foothills for peace and quiet.

My husband researched the Master Plan in the community where this house is that we want to buy, and he discovered the opposite.  That city/county has invested a lot of money into fencing off open spaces and putting in gates that only hikers and horseback riders can pass through.  They are posting signs to keep the motorized vehicles out.  Also, we found out that the reason why the street to the house was blocked off with a barricade was because they were having a horse race through town!  Isn't that cool?  Around here they block everything off for bicycle races and classic car parades.

Also, apparently this property is one of very few in the area that come with a generous amount of open land.  Not only would I have 4 acres behind my house, but I would have 22 miles of equestrian trails right across the street.  The downside is that the current homeowners don't own horses, so they have nothing setup for horses beyond an underground water tank, so I have to set aside enough money to at least be able to bulldoze out the brush and erect fencing for a riding arena / paddock, some pens, and some shade.  I also have to be able to fence off an area for my dogs.  There is literally not a single fence on this property.  The house would currently work for patio people who like to sit on the patio, but it's no good as is for pet and livestock owners.

The asking price is higher than what I can pay, so my real estate agent and I have to convince the seller to come down on her price so I have some money leftover to build a horse and dog setup.   We're working on the contract now.  We don't know what the seller's reaction will be.  Considering that she tried to sell the house in 2009 for nearly one million dollars, I'm sure she won't be happy with my offer.  Hopefully, she'll be willing to at least negotiate.  I wish I could talk to her and tell her my story about having to sell my mother's $750,000 house for a fraction of that price because of the condition of the real estate market.  I made a huge sacrifice to help a nice family get into a nice, historic home when I could have said no and just rented it out until the market recovered, so hopefully I have some good karma and this seller will think like I did and cut me some slack.  However, since this isn't exactly a Pay It Forward kind of situation, I don't know what will happen.

In the meantime, the same old B.S. keeps going on next door.  The farrier came by to trim my horses' hooves, and some guy in a super loud truck drove into my neighbor's lot.  My farrier was talking about someone who won the lottery and asked me what I would do if I won millions of dollars.  Right then my neighbors came piling out of the house all yelling to each other over the sound of the diesel engine and their dog was barking and my horses went on alert, and I said, "I'd buy some peace and quiet."

And that's pretty much what I'm trying to do right now.  Keep your fingers crossed.  May the seller have an open heart.

8 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Crossing fingers for you! Is this the one in Apache Junction? That's really a cute town! We love the Superstition Mountains!

fernvalley01 said...

Wishing you luck! and success

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Yes, it's in AJ.

Linda said...

I hope they accept your offer. I can't imagine million dollar homes are selling like hotcakes down there!!

Crystal said...

Wow sure would love all thr trails around there, hope it works out!

Leah Fry said...

There are homes on our road that have been for sale for literally years, so you should have some leverage with that seller. Hope your place sells quickly. Good riddance to your neighbors!

Mikey said...

Fingers crossed!

achieve1dream said...

It will happen!! It has to! You so deserve to get this house.