Saturday, February 18, 2012

Saturday's House Hunt

The real estate agent, my kids and I all met up north of Phoenix to look at a horse property short sale. This was the first one I'd seen where the home owners kept the house and property clean and didn't attempt to destroy it on their way out.

It was a beautiful home, open, airy, light, no funky smells.  The first thing I noticed was that all the horse properties were surrounded by beautiful walls and wrought iron gates.  It seemed like everyone in this neighborhood enjoyed their privacy.

I was happy to find another large kitchen with an island...

And a lot of patio space.  This is one of many patios on the property...

I got really excited over the doggie door...

...which led out into a large yard surrounded by brick and a wrought iron gate.  No more having to get up during the night to let the dogs out.  They can let themselves out if they can have the sense to stay away from rattlesnakes.

By the way, there are NO houses beyond that gate -- just tons of riding opportunities.  Unfortunately, that may not last, though.  They can build houses there, but Cave Creek Regional Park is a hop, skip and a jump away, and no one should be building there.  They had an MD Barn with an office and a tack room.  I didn't count, but I think there are 8 or 10 stalls.

We would have this view of the mountains beyond the horse paddock...

Unfortunately, the owners are taking all of these corrals with them...

...and these shade sheds...

But I can just leave the back doors to the stalls open and the horses can go in there for shade, I suppose.  Or I can get my own shade shed.  I think I can live without all those pens.  I usually let my horses roam anyway.  The riding arena has been used for barrel racing and pole bending.  Unfortunately, this neighbor built his house overlooking the riding arena...

...and this one did too...

Why people build their homes facing other people's homes I will never understand.  The mountains are in the other direction, but they have their garages facing the mountain view.  Gah.  People are weird.  Still, there was so much space and so many places a gal could sit and read her book without being stared at on this property.  Since I don't want an audience while I'm riding, I'm willing to plant some trees along the outside of the arena. 

The next house we looked at was one that was high on my list of possibilities.  It was on a huge, unused acreage surrounded by a brick wall and next to a preservative.  It was in it's own little peaceful oasis.  The house was cheap enough that I could have money left over to build a horse setup.  We thought this was the front yard, but we actually came in the back way...

As soon as we arrived, the listing agent informed us that we couldn't see the house because it went under contract yesterday.  We were pissed.  My R.E.A. chewed her out and informed her that I flew in from out of state and we all just drove an hour to see it.  She should have notified us of this little problem yesterday when the contract was signed.  We decided to ask if we could go in anyway, just in case the deal falls through.  It had a huge kitchen too...

...a nice view...

...and a huge front yard...

The kids and I tried to drive over to the preserve to take a short hike, because we saw people hiking up some switchbacks on the mountain, and we were blocked by a NO TRESPASSING sign and a second sign that said this was the site of a new 18 home subdivision!  I knew it!  Every time I find a great space, some contractor is given the privilege to build in what is supposed to be public preserve land.  So, my dreams of riding right off the property onto the preserve were shot to hell.

Oh well, I have one contender in the first house of the day, and have many more to look at tomorrow.

6 comments:

Jeni said...

I don't envy you at all. I hate house hunting - it's nerve racking.

Good luck!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Fascinating peek into the Arizona real estate market...thanks for taking us along with you!

~Lisa

Cheryl Ann said...

It's really nice over there by the Cave Creek regional park. I love that area! Yes, thank you for taking us on your tour! I know that someday you'll find the perfect place!

Grey Horse Matters said...

I liked the first house too, but what's up with the way people situated their houses on their properties. I wonder if you could plant rows of palms to block them out. Hope you have more luck this weekend.

Linda said...

Developers are merciless in their quest to take our land. We have to fight all the time to keep our public lands public. One of the developers even went so far as to run for commissioner and succeeded!!! Now we have the fox guarding the hen house.

achieve1dream said...

Oh I like the first one!! I wouldn't even care about them watching me ride lol. I hope you find some more nice places to consider!