Friday, March 30, 2012

Ahhhh, Life

Life has gotten in the way of me being able to live my life.  I had to cancel our moving sale, because my husband had an emergency at the office and had to work late, and I can't lift 90% of the items we want to sell to move them onto the driveway.  Also, the weather forecast is now predicting high winds in addition to rain and snow for this weekend.  However, the huge storm for next weekend has suddenly cleared up.  I rescheduled for then, and just now looked at my calendar and saw that next Saturday is Passover and Sunday is Easter.  Sigh.  I just can't win.

It seems most people are having moving sales inside their homes.  I'm not in the position to do that, because we have a lot of personal stuff and stuff we plan to keep right out in the open and it would take longer to box all that up and hide it than it would for us to haul what we don't need out onto the driveway.  So, we just have to wait for decent weather.  There's no way I'm going to list each item and take more phone calls and visitors coming over.  I need everyone to come in one or two days and be done with it.

I suspect everyone took a holiday today, because no one returned my calls.  I'm running out of time to make arrangements for transportation and the latest movers who I requested estimates from are taking way too long, the horse transport guy hasn't returned my call, and I still don't have transport for the vehicles set up.  I suspect that moving may take several months whether I like it or not.

I'm learning that moving companies require everything to be in a box.  They don't accept bags because bags can break open and spill.  I swear, I will never be a consumer ever again.  Having too much stuff is a heavy burden.  Every day I get ads in the mail to buy stuff, and they make me sick to my stomach.  Take my word for it:  If you have half a lifetime of goods built up, you need to start planning a move at least six months in advance.  Two months just doesn't cut it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

we used Paul Arpin movers a few years back and they did a great job and were the lowest price.

fernvalley01 said...

Hope the weather holds and you get some stuff sold

lilyrose said...

Try going to UShip.com for moving your horses. We found a good shipper at a reasonable price from them last year. Sorry I can't help with the cars. Good luck!

Katharine Swan said...

I'd highly recommend Nation-Wide for horse transportation. They are based out of Colorado Springs. They have great big trucks, but they are very nice and very safe. The only problem is that they may only have a couple of trucks in your area per month, so you'll have to see if their shipping schedule will work for you. But I liked them very much when I moved Panama here from Kansas City, and my in-laws used them when they moved here and also liked them very much. More recently (as in last month), a friend of mine used them to move her horse, and was also quite happy with them.

achieve1dream said...

Yuck! It never fails the stupid weather won't cooperate. :( Sorry it's not going as smoothly as we hoped!

I wish I could be of more help, but I just know nothing about moving. I do know from reading your blog I'm going to start getting rid of stuff I don't need now just in case I do have to move!! Wow, what a pain. Hang in there!!