Saturday, March 3, 2012

Book Review: Crib Notes by Winter Prosapio

I recently downloaded Crib Notes by Winter Prosapio down to my Kindle for a mere 99 cents. I know this author through her blogs, and I know that she is a gifted writer. I also admire her for her clarity of mind, so I found it humorous when she addressed within one essay the inevitable decline of one's brain power that occurs during motherhood. She is still light years beyond me in staving off muddled thinking.

Though my children are grown, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It took me back to times I had forgotten, and reminded me that if I could survive that, I can survive anything. Crib Notes is a collection of humorous essays about motherhood, originally published in a Texas Hill Country newspaper.

In my favorite essay, "Are You My Mommy", the author has taken her children to the library and suddenly becomes aware that her youngest is following another woman around who she has mistaken for being her mother. The shock and embarrassment of having done the same thing as a child came rushing back to me. I think most children have done that, and at the same time those of us who have had children can recall them making the same mistake. That makes for good memoir fodder, and the wit and concise writing found in Crib Notes made me laugh out loud.

This is a great book for people who have only a minute here and a minute there of downtime. It's not a novel, so you don't have to worry about forgetting what happened in the previous chapter if too much time passes between readings. Each essay can be read in the time it takes you to eat a snack or the time it takes between the receptionist telling you to take a seat and someone emerging from a back room to call your name. Each essay stands on its own.

I can't count the number of times I read a sentence and paused, thinking how this line could be made into a poem. It takes a special writer to instill both poetry and humor into her craft. The funny thing about Crib Notes is that for those of us who are raising or have raised children, it is almost like reading your own memoir, only its written by someone who makes it all both enjoyable and poignant at the same time.

1 comment:

Dreaming said...

Thanks for the good review! I'll have to download it, too. I used to say that half my brain went with the placenta. I couldn't believe how forgetful I became when the baby arrived!