Saturday, March 31, 2012

Crazy Weather

Despite updating my ad for my moving sale to show that I postponed it until next weekend, dozens of vehicles pulled into my driveway an hour before it was supposed to start before I cancelled it.  I was in the shower and my husband said some man came to the door wanting to know if we would let him in early.  Sigh.  We had no intention of letting anyone into our house to begin with.  This was going to be an outdoor yard sale that had to be cancelled due to the weather.

My husband put a note on the front door and I put a poster on the garage door.  I was amazed at how many people came out in these high winds expecting there to still be a moving sale.  One man snapped at me when I informed him that we moved it to next weekend, and he said in a snotty tone, "Will you have anything good that will be worth my while?"

I soaked up his spoiled attitude and said, "No, it's all just used furniture."

He gave me a disgusted look and threw his car angrily in reverse and backed up before I even had a chance to step out of the path of his tires.  I hate having to put on garage sales, yard sales, moving sales and estate sales.  These pickers who come by early act as if it is their privilege to rifle through your things.  They don't even consider that when private homes have these types of sales, it is usually because of some stressful event such as a death in the family or a relocation, whether it be wanted or forced. 

Anyway, the winds were so intense today that they ripped the tarp right off my haystack, which was anchored down in dozens of places.  There's no way we could have put anything out on the driveway and have it stay in our yard.  It also started raining much earlier than predicted, so most of the stuff would have been ruined.  Then it snowed in the afternoon and is still snowing.  So, I made the right choice by postponing the sale.

We spent the day running errands and packing.  I'm beginning to find things that I thought I lost years ago, and now that some of the clutter is getting cleaned up, I'm liking my house all over again.  If it only weren't for the neighbors and traffic, I could be happy here. 

5 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Yeah, there seems to always be a few bad apples in the bunch for garage sales.
I sure hope we don't get that same storm down here!
It was so gorgeous today...I wanted the day to last forever!

~Lisa

Dreaming said...

I think yard sale folks can be the worst-behaved people in the world! They are pushy and they want everything for nothing!
Good luck with your sale next week.
Sounds like you are making some progress :))

SquirrelGurl said...

Ah memories, my Aunt is a big "saler" and the people we encountered were always most 'interesting'! You are so right, they come in with some sort of attitude like you owe it to them to have this sale.

The ones I hate the most are those the criticize everything you have, collect a large pile of stuff and then offer you a dollar for it when you know they are going to haul it to a local sale for resale. Oh and the early birds! UGH! They dig through everything before you even have a chance to unpack and get all grumbly when you aren't all set up 90 minutes before your scheduled 'start time'!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ugh! We're getting that horrible snowstorm down here after all. Already got at least 7" on the ground and it's the heavy wet snow which has wrecked and ripped my chicken coop fencing and hawk netting on the top of the coop. What a mess!
And all the fruit tree blossoms have been frozen and suffocated by the snow. Doesn't bode well for a good fruit harvest this year. Dang!

I hate snow...I just want Spring to come back!

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Wow, what a jerk!!

Oh don't forget to have hay storage built when you're getting your new property ready so you don't have to deal with tarps anymore!!! :D