Sunday, March 25, 2012

Logistics

Thank you for your input on the moving process in previous posts.  Your comments allow me to put some things into perspective.  I tend to think better while asleep than during the day, so each morning when I wake up I have at least a couple more thoughts in my head I didn't have the day before.  This morning I awoke with some logistical problems.

Things have to happen in a certain order or I won't have what I need when I need it.  This is what I've worked out so far:

1.  The underwriter has to finish approving the home loan before I can spend any money on fixing up either house.
2.  Safety first.  I have to get the concrete company to fill in the missing walkway and severely cracked concrete before anyone can move any furniture out of the house and before any other workers show up to work on the house.
3.  Escrow has to close before I can turn on the electricity for the new house and have the steel company build the horse stalls, fencing and shade, which has to happen before I can move the horses, and I have to be wherever my horses are so that I can feed, water and clean up after them.
4.  Paint the exterior of old house as soon as the weather and temperatures improve.
5.  Hire a real estate agent who is willing to help let workers in to do renovations when I'm not in the old house.
6.  Knock down hay with ladder, before ladder is taken away by moving company.
7.  Move furniture and other belongings out.
8.  Move horses.
9.  Hire a gardener to take care of old property since no one will be around to water and mow.
10.  Paint interior once furniture is moved out.
11.  Install new flooring once furniture is moved out and walls are painted.  I don't want paint to drip on new flooring.
12.  Put old house up for sale.
13.  If house doesn't sell, rent it out.

Of course, before moving we have to get rid of as much stuff as possible.  I made some progress this weekend, but I suspect that for us, moving is considerably more complicated than for others.  First off, I discovered that we have kept every bill we've received since we were married 23 years ago.  I guess we just kept filing everything away instead of throwing everything away.  So, I've been spending a lot of time shredding very old, dusty papers and now I've got a terrible allergy headache. This process is going to require several trips to the dump, but should save us some money in moving weight.

Also, we are back into that weather pattern of having wind, rain and snow every weekend, so I can't have a yard sale.  Our garage is full of boxes, so I can't hold the sale in my garage, and I don't want a bunch of strangers going through my house.  We may have to just resort to taking everything to the dump or donating it.

A lot falls on my shoulders, because my husband is busy working and interviewing for new jobs, and my kids are an expensive airfare away and busy with their own lives.  My daughter is graduating soon and finishing up her senior thesis.  I don't have any friends or relatives who live close by who can help pack and move, so I have to hire someone.  I definitely can't move a piano by myself.  I saw six very large men try to carry my mother's piano out of her house down some steps, and not only did they take chips out of the steps, but I'm sure many of them popped hernias.  Also, I can't move three horses myself, because I only have a two horse trailer.  If anything goes wrong, I have no one to help, so I have to hire pros to do it.

Every time I hire another person or company to help fix up one of the houses or figure our taxes or help me buy or sell a house or get a loan, I'm bombarded with phone calls so I can't concentrate on packing.  It's almost to the point where I need to hire an assistant to field all the phone calls, but ultimately there would be no point in that, because I would still have to respond to people, and there would just more likely be miscommunications with a middle man.  Also, what is up with people always calling at meal times?  I don't think I have been able to prepare and eat a single meal in the past month without the phone ringing.  Don't other people eat?  Last night our burgers nearly burned because the flooring estimator called while I was frying them.

Because I am going to own two houses at the same time, I'll have to be paying two mortgages, insurance and utilities for two homes, which is considerably more complicated than moving from a rental to a rental.  I know I could have moved from this home to a rental, but I didn't want to move twice when I found the home I wanted to own.  I've been putting off hiring a real estate agent to sell our old home, because I didn't want one more person calling me day in and day out, pressuring me to make decisions.  I'm going to have to be very careful about who I hire, because I don't want one of these agents who are going to insist that I have to completely remodel the home in order to sell it.  I only have enough money to do the bare minimum, so I need an agent who will understand that and help me sell it as is, because even after we have new walkways, fresh paint and flooring, there will still be a lot of things that need attention like dead trees, old broken fences, outdated bathrooms...

There are always complications.  The latest complication is that Lostine is going on another chewing binge and has managed to nearly chew a hole in the stall wall between her stall and Bombay's overnight.  So, now I have to put gunk on the wood in that spot to deter her.  I don't have time to stain the interior of all the stalls.  I'm making sure that there is no wood whatsoever in the new horse facilities.

All I can say is that I can't wait until all of this is over.  A part of me is regretting that I set this ball in motion without considering the various paths it might take.  I should have allowed myself more time and started preparing to move months in advance instead of weeks in advance.  This is by far the most stressful experience I've had in my entire life.

12 comments:

Dreaming said...

Yup, welcome to the logistical nightmare of moving! At least when I moved with the horses they were only 50 miles from their new home and we could do things in stages. That did make it easier.
Good luck! Just take it one step at a time!

gowestferalwoman said...

Dreaming brings up an excellent point - When I moved from Wisconsin to Montana, when the time was exactly right (6 weeks before we moved out our household items, and before closing) I boarded my horses nearby in Wisconsin at a reputable stable. That way, I could get things done without worrying about feeding/checking/etc. and those daily issues, and concentrate on "the move" aspect. Then, after I was in the new home for about 8 weeks (and we had built a sturdy paddock and a run-in shed) we hired a horse transportation outfit to deliver the horses when we were ready. I boarded for 3 months - not a lot of $$ when you consider that YOUR time is $$$ - the total costs were a little under $1000. for two, for our area (they had their own run in & paddock, and were fed boarding hay). I dont know what the costs are for your area, but you could work it out to have the rest of your hay brought to the boarding stable and have it fed to them to reduce costs, and then store your barn items locked in your trailer there (and to trailer them out later) - most boarding places I have known have trailer parking spots open (free) for boarders use. It worked out great because I knew my horses were being taken care of and as you would know, it freed up lots of TIME$$ to get all the other things done. Although your neighbors might freak out ;) about them being off of your place...

Lisa said...

Don't forget to make sure you have a current Coggins for each horse as well as a health certificate. You might check with the state you are moving to see if they require any further test results to bring horses across the state's lines. Good luck!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

gowestferalwoman - You bring up a good point too. The horses do currently suck up a lot of my time. I probably spend between one and three hours a day caring for them in one way or another. Also, I've noticed that both the horses and the dogs have been acting out and causing me more problems. I suspect they understand that we are moving and they pick up on my stress, so they are getting stressed as a result. They would probably benefit from some time away from me.

Laura said...

That is quite the list - moving is such a big deal - especially a long distance move to another state!

Boarding the horses somewhere in AZ for a couple of months isn't a bad idea - it would give you time to get settled and you couldhave the people out to build the stalls/paddocks...

I have my fingers crossed that all of this works out for you... Do you have a big list going of all that is going on, who your contacts are, dates, etc.? I had a big whiteboard going when we were doing our renos and it really helped take some of the stress away, because everything was written down and out of my head...

Grey Horse Matters said...

I think the horses are picking up on your stress too. It seems like you've got a basic plan to stick to and get things done. When the phone rings during dinner, let it go to the answering machine, call them back at your convenience.

Just keep thinking about how great everything will be once the move is done. For now it is what it is and things will work themselves out.

Cut-N-Jump said...

If you want a list of boarding stables in AJ, let me know. Board includes feed and cleaning at most of them and runs pretty reasonable as far as rates go. Besides, if you ship them over now, they can begin getting acclimated. It was already 86 on Friday. Just something to consider...

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Cut-N-Jump - OMG! 86? My horses still have their winter coats and are wearing blankets at night because we have freezing temperatures. It's supposed to snow tomorrow. If I ship them now they'd die from climate shock. I'll send you an email if it starts looking like I'll have to board. It would be nice to find a boarding facility that could also train Gabbrielle while they're at it.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I don't envy you all the work ahead but, remember, it will be SO WORTH IT!!!!

Linda said...

It brings back bad memories of when we moved up here--five years ago. Time hasn't really dulled the feelings. :/ My husband and I decided we'd never move again! Good luck...hoping for the best for you!

SquirrelGurl said...

A lurker here popping out of the shadows to say hi! :)

I moved cross country a year ago and so I know EXACTLY the kind of stress you are experiencing.

I second everyone's comments about boarding the horses and possibly your dogs. I had my sheltie boarded at his doggie daycare overnight for a couple of days just so I could have an entire stretch of time to pack uninterrupted. He was extremely stressed by my packing and seemed much more at ease hanging out with his buddies at the kennel versus following me all around the house as I packed.

I took so much stuff to Goodwill it wasn't even funny. I didn't have the motivation to deal with a yard sale (i'd have to pack it to set up the sale, unpack it and then repack what didn't sell because I didn't want people in my house either) so I just opted to pack once and drop it off. It was a MASSIVE relief to be rid of it!

Some places will even come and pick up donations, I don't think Goodwill does but Salvation Army might? I'm not familiar with the area you live in but it's worth a shot (though I'm sure the thought of more time on the phone is too much to bear!)

Hang in there, it will end. It's a journey but there is light at the end of the tunnel!

achieve1dream said...

I'm sorry things are so hard right now, but like someone else said, it's going to be so worth it. Just hang in there!! It will get better. We're all thinking happy, helpful thoughts for you lol.