Monday, March 19, 2012

What's Up with Midge?

Ever since Midge finished her two rounds of antibiotics to treat her urinary tract infection, she hasn't been the same dog. If she's not a nervous wreck from all the noises in the neighborhood and the phone ringing off the hook, she's listless. A few days ago she started having accidents on the carpet again, only this time instead of bloody pee it was diarrhea and vomiting. She also has been doing a lot of tongue rolling, lip smacking, panting and drooling. Sometimes she eats, sometimes she doesn't. Sunday night I actually thought she was dead, because she was hanging off the edge of the chair with her tongue hanging out and her eyes rolled back in her head, but when I petted her she woke up and gave me a glassy eyed look.

I did not want to take her back to the vet who accused me of not giving her all of the antibiotics, nor did I want to take her to the veterinary clinic where I was publicly humiliated for "waiting too long" to bring my elderly dog in to be euthanized.

So, I set up an appointment with the third and final veterinary hospital in town. The ladies behind the counter seemed mature, personable and down to earth. The doctor was a very down to business kind of guy. I was expecting him to say that she needed to have some teeth pulled, but he said her teeth and gums look good. He first asked questions about any changes in her diet and environment. He even asked if we are moving. I guess her behavior is classic for dogs who feel displaced when their family moves.

He then kept her for a few hours to run blood tests and observe her, which I appreciated, because a good doctor should explore both the patient's emotional state and physical state. For a minute there, I worried that he might dismiss her symptoms as reactions to stress and send us home.

When I returned to pick her up, he said she has a fever.  He showed me her blood test results and explained them in detail. It was really quite complicated. Basically, she has an infection and inflammation in her intestines, as well as elevated levels of things that the pancreas produces, so she may have pancreatitis. He thinks that the two rounds of antibiotics that the other vet gave her to treat her urinary tract infection may have caused the damage to her intestines.  He has given me a different round of drugs to kill the infection and settle her stomach, a treatment given to dogs with ulcers.

If she isn't feeling better in three days, he'll dig deeper and take a closer look at her pancreas. Unfortunately, pancreatitis can be fatal. If it is a mild attack, it can be controlled through diet. So far, I'm happy with the way this new vet and his staff handled the situation. When they brought Midge out to me, they had put a cute little bandana around her neck.

I'm hoping that the pills will do the trick, because if this results in a series of expensive hospital visits, the bills could jeopardize our ability to close on the home loan for the new house. However, I'd rather have a happy, healthy dog. There are plenty of houses on the market, and we can try again later when our finances are more stable.

9 comments:

Cut-N-Jump said...

Sounds like vet number three is the charm. Hope everything is on the mend and up and up.

BTW- we had hail and a lot of rain over the weekend. Snow in some parts of the valley too!

Cheryl Ann said...

Awww..poor baby! I'm so glad you found a qualified vet. I've tried several here in the desert and I finally settled on a low-cost animal clinic. ALL the private vets here are very high priced and the one I used to go to is just totally out of my price range now. Yes, finding a qualified vet can be a challenge!

Mikey said...

Oh gosh, I hope she's going to be ok. Glad you like this new vet, he sounds very good. I like that he observed her, that's so important. Will keep my fingers crossed she's ok

Vaquerogirl said...

Always got to take care of our little buddys! Hope your pup gets to feeling better soon!

Dreaming said...

I'm hoping that Midge's problem clears up swiftly!

fernvalley01 said...

3 is the charm, I hope she bounces back soon. Poor little dolly

Katharine Swan said...

I'm glad it seems this vet will work out! I'll be thinking of you and Midge, sending healthy, happy thoughts her (and your) way. Hope it's not the worst case scenario!

Breathe said...

Finally a competent vet! Hope Midge is feeling better soon.

achieve1dream said...

Sounds like the third times a charm applies to vets lol. I'm glad he was so thorough and is helping you. I had a dog with pancreatitis once and he was very uncomfortable, but recovered with no problem. :)