Thursday, April 5, 2012

Foiled Again

My husband took the day off from work for a video conference job interview, and also to help move all the heavy stuff out onto the driveway for our moving sale this Saturday.  This morning started out warm, bright and beautiful.  I laid out a bunch of tarps and began piling boxes of books and toys on them just to get a head start two days before the sale.

Of course, my nosy neighbor had to come scurrying along my road walking her dog to see what I was doing.  I went into the well house to dig out more goods and watched her through the window.  She stopped right at the end of my driveway where all my boxes were set out, and she stayed there for five minutes pretending to be pulling weeds at the end of my driveway, but really nosing through my stuff and waiting for me to come out so that she could ask her nosy questions.  When she gave up on me and walked back to her place, I finished what I was doing.

Before I knew it, it was time for my husband's job interview, so I had to grab the dogs and head out to the park for a very long walk.  It never fails that whenever we are in a conference or on the phone, the dogs hear some noise outside and go nuts barking at the door, so I had to get them out of the house.  I was really disappointed to see that our stupid cable company installed a bunch of cable boxes right smack in the middle of the equestrian trail.  Why they couldn't have installed them off to the side, I don't know.  Now horseback riders have one more weird thing to desensitize their horses to. 

I also found that someone had dumped a bunch of rusty nails along the bridal path.  It almost seemed like a malicious move by someone who didn't want horses in the area.  My neighborhood sucks.  The people in it suck.  Anyway, I was walking the dogs along when I spotted a loose, unsupervised Pit Bull lifting its leg on a concrete barrier.  I recognized the dog from my work at the animal shelter and knew that it was notorious for attacking other dogs.

I froze and looked down at my tiny Chiweenie and Corgi, trying to figure out how I can pick up and hold both of them at the same time and keep them out of reach of that Pit Bull.  The answer was that I couldn't.  I felt like I was being faced with one of those horrific decisions like, "Both your daughter and your son are about to be killed.  You can only save one of them.  Which do you choose?"

I couldn't choose, so I prepared myself to fight the Pit Bull.  It spotted us and came running toward us.  I yelled, "Ah ah ah ah!" in a stern tone.  Some construction workers looked up and one of them yelled at the dog.  Fortunately, the dog turned and ran back to the man, who put it away.  Whew!  Close one.  I can't stand irresponsible dog owners who ignore leash laws.

After one lap around the park I had to stop at the car to get my coat.  A cold front was moving in and it felt like snow.  By the time I got home, the wind was wailing and I had to throw the tarps over all the items I had already set out for the moving sale.  I couldn't believe my lousy luck.  All I needed was for the weather to cooperate for three days, and it didn't happen, so now we have to wake up in the wee hours of Saturday morning to set up. 

5 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Lucky break with the dogs! Glad he called the dog back , but WTH is he doing letting a dog known to be aggressive run loose?

Grey Horse Matters said...

It's never dull around by you. Hope the sale goes well and the interview did too. Lucky break with the pit bull.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

GHM - You don't know what I would do just to get a few days of dullness.

Stacey said...

Holy crap. So glad they were able to put that dog away! I held my breath for you while I read that!!! Scary!

achieve1dream said...

Whoa! Scary! I'm glad that guy called off the dog in time!

That's just wrong on so many levels about the rusty nails. :(

Don't worry you don't have to put up with it much longer!