Sunday, April 15, 2012

Goodbye, My Loves

I spent the morning grooming, clipping and exercising the horses. I walked each one and "explained" what was about to happen by passing pictures of a big horse trailer pulling into the driveway, them loading into it, and driving off from my mind to theirs. I showed them a new place with other horses, and then us coming to see them in a few weeks.

They seemed to understand what was going on. Here they are all lined up waiting for the trailer to arrive.

I opted not to give Bombay the Ace since the driver preferred that I don't. I just gave all the horses some Calm and Cool, which didn't seem to have much of an effect.  I also opted not to wrap their legs in anything at the recommendation of the driver.

The driver opened up three full stalls for all three horses, even though I was only paying for one stall and two slants. He hauls the horses untied and allows them to eat off the floor while he drives. I said that Lostine is pretty short and she might try to climb under the partition. She's tried it a few times in my trailer. He asked to load her first so he could observe her. She did stick her head and neck under the partition but didn't try to kneel down, so we loaded Bombay next.

He was hesitant and needed pushing from behind as well as encouragement from the front. The driver was at the head, my husband was tapping Bombay on the hip with a whip, and I was pushing his butt. I took a step back and clapped my hands a couple of times, and then he went right in. Pretty good for a horse who has never been on a ramp load.

Then we loaded Gabbrielle. She went right in, but tried to spin and bolt when she heard unfamiliar noises inside the trailer. The driver stopped her and closed the gate before she could get very far. All three horses then settled into eating their lunch.

The driver kept the engine running on his truck the whole time we were loading the horses, so starting the engine wouldn't startle them.

I'm sure that they were happy that they could clearly see each other through the bars.  The driver purposefully put Bombay in the middle between his two buddies so that he would feel more secure.

Here's Gabbrielle saying goodbye...

And Bombay assuring me that he's okay...

Lostine looking a little wild, but I'm sure all that food will distract her from any fears she has...

Look at the size of that trailer...

The driver will call me tonight to let me know how things are going.  I thought I got a great video of them driving off, but of course I pushed the wrong button and the camera wasn't recording.  I promised the horse hauler a good review and recommendation on my blog if all goes well.  How's that for incentive?

14 comments:

Dreaming said...

Awww, you made me cry! What a happy, sad day! I'm keeping my finger's crossed that they ride smoothly and calmly. The driver sounds very experienced.
I don't tie Doc in the trailer until after he is loaded (then I tie him through the window). My divider is solid, so he always puts his head down to peak at what's going on...I sometimes worry that he will try to duck under it, just like you were worried about Lostine.

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad they all got off okay. I'm sure they'll be fine when they get to where they're going too.

Tammy said...

Oh, that had to be so hard for you to say goodbye. I would have had a little chat with mine, too. Hang in there. You will all be together soon! Anxious to hear how Bombay did - I bet very well with his buddies.

Reddunappy said...

OH Wow!! Its time already!!!

You will be in the new place in no time!!
And leave those nosy neighbors behind!!!

(Hey I have a thought, lol, maybe they will buy the house or some of their annoying relatives!!) At least it would get you out from under it!!)

Once Upon an Equine said...

Happy travels to your three beauties. That's so nice they can travel together. They will calm one another on the trip. And it looks like they approve of the in-flight meal service. I hope they arrive safely and settle in well. I know you'll be worried. I would be too. That's a nice rig and it sounds like the driver knows what he's doing. I hope he earns that good review you promised. I'm happy for you that your long hoped for move is happening.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, I love the photos you took of the horses in the trailer. Mine haven't been in a trailer for...YEARS!!! I know you will miss your babies and they will miss you, but just think...you will ALL be together in your new home SOON! (((BIG HUG)))to you and your horses! Yes, that's a big hauler! Quad came down in Blew By U horse transport. I still have his card, if I ever need it again.

gowestferalwoman said...

:) Yay!! hugs to (((you))) !!

If you are a little like me, you will feel a little "lost" the next few days - "theres no horses in my backyard!!! ack !" then you'll remember where they are...lol

but now let the moving exercises' commence!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That is a huge trailer! Sounds like a very helpful driver. That's good. I'm sure they'll all be fine. When will they arrive? Will the driver call you? It's going to be so tough the next few weeks but it's going to be worth it.

fernvalley01 said...

Best wishes to the "kids" on their journey I am sure they will be fine

Linda said...

Well, I'm pretty sure there's NO better way of hauling than what you just described, so you did the best you can! I'm sure they'll be okay, but looking forward to the update!

Mary said...

I bet it is going to be tough waiting to hear when they have made it to their destination, I think i would be a wreck. I was kind of wondering why he didn't want you to wrap their legs. Not sure what harm would be. He must know something, obviously I don't. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow. What a cushy ride! You couldn't have asked for a better transport for your precious ponies.
I know it's gonna be so strange having an empty barn and corral the next couple weeks, but just imagine how much more time you'll have to pack and prepare for your move down to AZ. Sounds like this transport guy is experienced and will take excellent care of your trio, so you'll be able to just focus on packing and moving yourselves.

Thanks for sharing the photos and updates. I'm often thinking about you and this impending move. I'm nervous for you, but even more excited! Full steam ahead!
You're so close to the finish line...you can do this!!!

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Aww so sad seeing them go!! They are going to have so much fun at the boarding facility. It's like going away to camp lol. I'm glad the driver seems kind and I'm glad they loaded well. :D

aurora said...

I haven't had much time for blogging/reading, so when I read your headline - I wondered what was going on...your horses are moving already! Wishing your sweet horses safe travels. Kudos to you for making your move a reality. Exciting times!