Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Having the Right People on Your Team is Everything

On last report, the horses are in good health and spirits after their day and a half haul out of state to their new temporary housing.  The owner of the boarding facility sent me a photo she took with her mobile phone to show that they arrived safe and sound at her place.

Since I can't haul Bombay around the corner from my house without him going Kamikaze on himself and my trailer, and Rick Horton of Windy Creek Horse Transport was able to haul him and my two mares 750 miles without any major incidents, I want to give Rick a big thank you.


Rick's calm, kind personality and confidence really helped make this trip a success for both me and my horses.  He worked with me when the delivery window was very tight and caused some conflict with other jobs, and I really appreciated that he honored our original schedule when other things came up.  He said that horses tend to like his trailer, and I think it is safe to say that my horses agree.

Rick called me to introduce himself, then again to discuss pick up arrangements.  He then called halfway through the trip to assure me that my horses were okay, and again upon delivery.  He even called me back when I accidentally butt-dialed him while carrying my mobile phone in a pouch at my waist and hauling boxes around.  I felt bad about that and hope he didn't have to pull over to the side of the road because of my mobile phone having a mind of its own.

I also want to thank Gary Mitchell of Mitchell's Horse Hauling for finding Rick for me based upon my horses' needs.  Gary has worked with just about everyone in the horse hauling industry and can match you up with the right driver and rig.

I also want to thank Cut-N-Jump for recommending Gary as a place to start.  She also found me the most wonderful real estate agent in the world -- no exaggeration.  Joan Pierskalla of First Call Realtors in Gilbert, Arizona worked hard as my friend and advocate throughout the process of locating and purchasing our new home.  She always looked out for my best interests and kept me updated on any changes in the tide.  I'm so used to real estate agents telling me I have to lower my expectations and compromise, but never once did Joan ask me to back down from what I wanted.  If it had taken me two years to find the right house instead of four days, I'm sure she would have stuck with me for however long she was needed.  I absolutely adore this woman.  She is a fantastic person.  I wish there were more people like her around. 

11 comments:

strivingforsavvy said...

I am so glad they made it safe and sound. Now to get you there!

Laura said...

Yeah! Glad to hear that the horses arrived without any problems. Nice to know that the hauler was honest and good.

Things are coming together for you - soon you will be at your new home and hopefully will feel more relaxed!

Linda said...

Having read your trailering horror stories, I can attest to the wonderfulness that is Rick Horton of Windy Creek Horse Transport! I would call him in a split second if I ever need horse hauling!!

Reddunappy said...

So glad things are finally coming together for you!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hooray! Such a positive, happy post. I can hear the relief and appreciation in your words. Things are moving along nicely now...just gotta keep the momentum going.

You're so close now...happy days are ahead!!!

~Lisa

Cut-N-Jump said...

Glad everything worked out for you so far. Joan and Gary are only a small part of my 'go to' network when I need things done.

ellie k said...

what a up beat wonderful post, I am so happy that something came together right for you, keep thinking positive this move is the best thing for you.

Crystal said...

So glad Bombay made it without any mishaps! And those sound like an excellent bunch of people to have on your team. So exciting...progress is occuring :))

Paint Girl said...

That is awesome that your horses are doing well!! I totally believe in getting referrals/recommendations from people. Other people's experiences with companies is a definite plus when trying to find the right company...and it sounds like you found awesome people to haul your beloved horses and find you your new home!!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I am so glad it worked out for you and the horses! Very soon, very soon...

Once Upon an Equine said...

I'm very glad the horses arrived safely are are settling in. Nice that you have found some good folks to help your relocation go well.