Sunday, April 1, 2012

I'm Keeping the Vets in Business

First thing in the morning I found myself scrubbing another pee stain out of the carpet.  I've been closing the back bedroom doors since Midge seems to think that is her bathroom, and now she's going in the hall outside the bedrooms.  I don't understand what her problem is.  She's been treated with two rounds of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection, and one round of antibiotics for an intestinal infection, so I don't know if this is yet another health problem, or if she just got into the habit of peeing on the carpet when she was sick.  I really don't have the time to be potty training an adult dog at the moment.  This is the busiest time of my life.

I finally got a chance to try out the Thundershirt since they were dynamiting snow on the mountain this morning.  It had no effect on her nervousness.  She was still running around panting and drooling, getting under my feet and trying to rip electrical cords out of the wall.  She used to be our easiest dog, and somehow she has morphed into a high maintenance, neurotic mess at the age of 8.

Scrappy is also adding to my problems, because he has developed an allergy to the grass that is growing, and he's licking his paws and legs raw.  We had another short-haired dog with that problem, and we had to take him to the vet to get some prescription powder for his feet.  I have spent so much money at vet offices this year that it makes me think twice about adopting any more animals.  I'm going to be broke before I can even move.

A vet is coming tomorrow morning to get the horses caught up on vaccinations, teeth floats, sheath cleanings, Coggins tests and health certificates.  I suspect that will be a three-hour tour that should cost me well over $700.

The sun came out, and I was able to release the horses from their stalls.  They were galloping all over the place like nutcases.  I had a hard time getting them back into their stalls this evening.  They were nervous about something.  Bombay tried to run right through the wall of his stall.  I looked all around for what might be making them so crazy, and then I jumped out of my skin at the sound of a rifle shot.  It was off in the distance, but still ridiculously loud.  I wondered if someone was shooting the deer.

There was 48 hours of poop piled up in their stalls thanks to the snowstorm, so it took me two hours to clean them out and lay down fresh shavings.  It's times like that when I question my sanity for owning horses.  At one point I chucked a load of manure and dirty shavings out the stall door, hoping it would land mostly in the wheelbarrow, and I looked up to see that I nailed Gabbrielle right in the face.  She had poopy face.  She didn't even flinch.  I apologized and brushed off her face, then told her to shake it off, and she did.  Even after that I couldn't get her to stop sticking her head in the stall door. 

My husband and I boxed up stuff and bagged up garbage all day long and now we are very sore.  We hardly put a dent in all the stuff that still needs to be packed.  I'm worried that even if we keep up this pace for the next two weeks, we still won't have everything packed or disposed of in time.  We keep running out of boxes, so I get to drive around town picking up whatever I can find tomorrow.  I'm thinking I will just concentrate on what I want to keep, and then hire someone to come in and take the rest to the dump like I did with my mother's house.

6 comments:

Linda said...

Reading your posts about moving really does bring back bad memories. When we moved up here we had to do the same thing and brand inspections for all. It was expensive. Seemed back then like we were paying vets to be our friends--they were at our house so often. (It was also the same time frame of Cowboy breaking his P3). It will all be worth it when you get there!

Rising Rainbow said...

You're moving. Wow, have I missed stuff. Very cool.

Sorry about the vet bill's and pooch issues. That part sucks but getting away from nutty neighbors, very cool.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Linda - OMG! I am so glad you said something. I would have totally forgotten to get brand inspections. The transport would have arrived and not been able to take my horses because of that oversight.

Anonymous said...

I moved 17 times in 15 years. My hubby is a pack rat and the last move we had 46 horses. You have all my sympathy!

I have spent more on vets so far this year than in all of last year.

Cut-N-Jump said...

Nuz- I think as far as the shipping goes, all that is needed is the health cert within 30 days and the negative Coggins within 12 months, Nevada is 6 months.

Horse Trip.com has the full details.

achieve1dream said...

Good grief!! Is it cheaper to get the teen and sheaths done where you are? Why not wait until you get into your new home? If you're planning to board them having the teeth done there could be cheaper because of a barn discount. Just curious. Not criticizing at all. I really know nothing about moving.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!