Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Keep It Together

I feel nauseated from this roller coaster ride I've been on for the past few days.  Between the moving sale and the charity pickup, I had to keep a close eye on the furniture in our front yard, because my annoying neighbors kept letting their dogs loose, and they'd make a beeline for our stuff and try to mark their territory on it.  My husband was out there with a chair looking like a lion tamer while trying to chase off the twin neighborhood dogs that like to attack everyone in sight.

Yesterday morning I got as far as throwing a few items away in the trash and then the phone started ringing.  By the time I got off the phone, my husband was walking in the door from work and it was time to clean stalls and fix dinner.  Another packing day lost to an endless stream of phone calls.

I experienced a major letdown that really shook my faith.  Long story short, when my mother passed away, I took responsibility for managing my brother's finances and welfare.  He's one of these individuals who crossed the line between genius and insanity, in addition to having some physical limitations.  Anyway, I received news yesterday that my brother owed someone some money and he never paid it back.  The loan has been collecting interest for 26 years and the debt collectors have come calling, because our mother's death triggered them to reopen his file.  Now, because I am responsible for him, I have to get sucked into working out some kind of settlement which will most likely bankrupt him.  I am so upset, because the timing could not have been worse.  I'm not a bad person.  I'm just trying to take care of the guy and improve both our lives, but as usual, no good deed goes unpunished.

I'm hoping I can at least make it through this move and settle down before anymore hell breaks loose.  Otherwise, I'm about ready to join my brother on the other side of sanity. 

This morning I got as far as packing up two shelves full of books, and then the charity truck arrived to pick up all the furniture on our front lawn.  I felt so relieved.  I don't have to guard it from being pissed upon by the neighbors' dogs anymore.  Watching for them out the window was eating up a lot of my time.  The weather was also kind enough to hold out until the furniture was picked up.  Hopefully, someone will appreciate and enjoy the donations.

After the truck left, I headed for the kitchen to make lunch, and right on time, the phone rang.  I don't know what it is about everyone calling me over the lunch hour, but it has got to stop.  I have had to skip eating lunch so many days because of these excessive phone calls, and the result is a lot of snacking on the run that it doesn't help my health.

Anyway, I contemplated not answering, but hate getting stuck in a game of telephone tag if it is someone I need to speak with, so I answered.  Good thing.  It turned out to be a contractor who I need to repair our walkways, so that the movers can get our furniture out of the house.  He said he was coming over right then to do the first part of three phases.  I needed him to get the job done by the end of next week regardless of the weather, and of course, Murphy's Law had to cause his trailer to break down, and he needs it for the second phase of my job.

I was trying really hard to look on the bright side, noting that it was fortunate that the contractor showed up just ten minutes after the furniture was picked up, because it would have been in his way had he come earlier.  Then I read my email and found that the movers had to jack up the price of our move thanks to some other customers who changed their minds about moving in the same window of time as us.  Had they kept their plans, we both could have saved a lot of money -- I'm talking thousands of dollars.  Some people just don't know a good thing when they see it.

I'm just so exhausted from seeing money flying out the window.  Something good has to happen one of these days.  I just fear that by the time this entire process is complete, we will have to turn around and sell the new house and the horses in order to move into a trailer park so that we don't go bankrupt.  Some days I feel like we would have been better off staying put.  

8 comments:

horsemom said...

Legally, they can not go after him after him7 years but if you communicate with them in working out payments this reopens the door for them to go after him legally. Often collection agencies will do this with the hopes that people don't know the laws. Hope this can be worked out for you and your brother.

Jiller said...

If your brothers debt is more than years old, they can't collect it. It won't affect his credit and it has been taking as a loss many years ago. Don't fall for this scam. I already went through it and had to hire a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter. ...Check with an accountant or lawyer before you pay them one red cent. If you pay them anything they can come after you cause it reopens the account... Please check this out before you do anything.

Anonymous said...

it is illegal here i florida for a person to enter into a legal deal or loan with someone that has a mental problem, I don't know your brothers situation or the law there but this might be of help. hang in there, things will soon be better or at least changed.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thanks for that information. I haven't talked with the debt collectors yet. They just intercepted and collected my brother's tax return, and when I asked my brother what all that was about, I learned about that old debt. He wants me to pay it off with what little money he has, but then I'd have to make enough money to support him, which would put a kink in my own budget.

Ms Martyr said...

I was thinking the three comments about time limitations were good news. The fact that the bill collectors were able to seize your brother's tax return is not. I'm thinking that reopened the case right there.
I hope your move goes smoothly from this point forward. I would go insane if I had to spend as much time on the phone as you have to - comes from years of answering phones as part of my job. Our phone rings maybe three time a month. People have to use email if they want to contact me.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ugh. I just did more research and found that for the type of loan he owes on, there are no statute of limitations.

lilyrose said...

That really stinks that someone can come after your brother for money after all these years. I would definitely try and get some good legal advice or talk to a financial expert. Geez...murphy's law sure has hit you hard. Here's hoping that things get better soon. Let me know if you need any more info on anything in your new neighborhood. :)

achieve1dream said...

Are they allowed to intercept his tax return? That doesn't sound right!!! I hope you can figure it out. :( I hate debt collectors.

Sorry things are getting rough again!