Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday Morning

I told the horse hauler to call me if he had any problems with my horses.  About an hour after he left, I was cleaning stalls, and my mobile phone dinged.  I got a text message.  "Oh oh.  That's not good," I thought.  He said he'd call me in the evening unless there was a problem, and this was early afternoon.  The message just said hello and it was from someone with the same first name as the horse hauler.  I was confused.  I waited for another text message to follow, but none came.

I began thinking back to my days of mobile phone testing and realized that the only way the first name could show up associated with the text was if that person was in my contact list.  I didn't think I had put the horse hauler in there.  I dug through my contacts until I found someone with the same name.  It was a boy I employed last summer.  I texted him back, and it turned out that he accidentally texted me.  He meant to text hello to someone else.  Whew!  At least it wasn't the horse hauler contacting me about a problem.  Since the boy had contacted me, I asked if he was available to help us with moving.  He wasn't.  Oh well.

I anxiously awaited the call from the horse hauler Sunday night.  I didn't want to get busy doing anything out of fear that I would miss the call.  I attached my mobile phone to my belt buckle and as soon as I started brushing my teeth, that's when he called.  He said he was about 150 miles outside of San Bernardino, and that the horses were all doing well.  Yippee!  That was 7 hours into the trip.  So, I got a good night's sleep... at least until Midge woke me up because she needed a 3:00 AM potty break.

I realized Sunday night that I could actually wear my pajamas to bed, because I wouldn't have to get up at sunrise and go straight to the barn to feed the horses.  I've been sleeping in my clothes for years, because of my nosy neighbors always watching me when I walk outside.  I forgot what it felt like to sleep in comfortable P.J.s without all the pinching and binding of blue jeans and the scratching of sweaters.

I was so comfortable in the morning that I wasn't in a hurry to shower.  At 6:45 AM I heard the roar of engines and felt the house trembling from a large truck outside.  I got up to go see which annoying neighbor was starting yet another construction project at that ungodly hour.  Much to my shock, I saw my contractor and his crew descending upon my house.  I knew they were going to pour concrete today, but I figured they wouldn't get a hold of a concrete mixer until after 8:00 AM, and it would probably take them an hour to get the concrete into the mixer.

I couldn't answer the door, because I was wearing see-thru pajamas, so I ran for the shower, cleaned up as fast as I could and got dressed.  The dogs were barking the entire time, and I figured the contractor was knocking on the door.  At first I was angry with my contractor for starting work so early with no regard for people who were still trying to sleep.  Then I smiled to myself and thought this was perfect payback to all the neighbors who have made my life miserable over the past several years with their construction projects starting as early as the rooster crows and going well into the night.

I actually began considering other home improvement projects I could set up that required loud trucks and tractors to frequent my house.  Realistically, I can't afford to have too many projects, but I do promise you that on my way out of the neighborhood I will be sure to honk as long and loud while sticking my middle finger out the window.  Oh yeah, and when I leave, I'm sure it will be around 3:00 AM, which makes it all the sweeter.

I had to run around picking up dog poop off the lawn before the construction workers started in the backyard.  I had cleaned up the lawn the night before, and somehow my two dogs managed to leave six fresh piles since then.  Just think what life would be like if people pooped that often.  We'd never get any work done.  I'm not sure where the phrase "work like a dog" comes from, because all my dogs do is eat, sleep, pee and poo.

About 9:40 AM, the horse hauler called and said that the horses were all safe and sound at the boarding facility.  He said the only problem he had was with Gabbrielle, who got upset when he popped his head in through the window to give her fresh hay and water.  He didn't go into details of what she did, but he said she's okay.  I'll talk to the owner of the boarding facility a little later to see how they are settling in.

14 comments:

gowestferalwoman said...

hmmmm.

You know, you seem to be a very talented, capable woman...I bet you would really rock out on a set of drums...yes, i do believe so, a complete kit with bass and cymbals and all the good stuff - even a cowbell!!! At night - all odd hours! yep, i think you should celebrate your moving by renting a drum kit and a pair of headphones and just bang to your little hearts desire on any given night when you feel like it - i am sure the neighbors will loooove your talent!! ;)

Congrats on the horses move!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

gowestfw - The funny thing about your comment is that we DO have a drum set, cymbals and all, and we had to put it away in the shed years ago, because one neighbor complained that she could hear it. In fact, years later someone a mile away was having a party and this neighbor called us to ask us to stop playing the drums. We informed her that we haven't played the drums in years. I, personally, would rather listen to a drummer in the neighborhood than all the engine and construction noises, and the neighbor who complained about the drums is one of worst culprits with having construction crews out all spring. As I write, there is a cherry picker and wood chipper making a racket at a neighbor's house across the street.

Anonymous said...

I like the image of you driving out, horn honking and middle finger held high!

And yea for Bombay!

fernvalley01 said...

wonderful news! so glad they travelled well, that must be a huge load off your mind

Paint Girl said...

That's great that your horses made it safe and sound!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Glad all the horses made it safe and sound and are doing well.

Drums do sound like a great idea and they would relieve some tension too. Just bang it out loud and clear!

Dreaming said...

Drums aren't a bad idea. A series of loud, raucous going away parties would work, too!
Glad the horses are safely transported. Pheww!

Linda said...

I'll add my relief to all the others--that the horses made it safely to their new home! That's a great milestone!!

Cut-N-Jump said...

Good to hear the horses are all tucked away in the new place. Gary is a good guy and knows all the haulers and who to refer- who not to. I talked to Joan yesterday. Maybe when you get here we can all go for coffee? lol

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, phew! That's a relief, knowing that they are safe and sound!!!

Venom said...

As I was reading about the noisy truck at 6:45am I was thinking HAH! Serves her neighbours right, wonder how they liked it?!

Reddunappy said...

A little payback is nice huh? LOL LOL

So glad the horses made it OK!!! Woo Hoo!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Cut-N-Jump - I can do better than coffee. I'll take you gals out for a meal. My treat. Both of you deserve a big thank you from me.

achieve1dream said...

LOL! That first comment cracked me up. :D I'm so happy the horses made it safely. Yay for Bombay holding himself together for the trip. :D Maybe his trailer phobia is just your trailer and when you get a new one your problems will be solved. I'm so excited for you that you're almost off to your new home!!!