Monday, April 23, 2012

My Property Dropped Its Drawers

How's that for a title?  Yes, my property is naked.  It exposed itself.  Three gardeners came by today and weed-whacked everything in sight.  I promised my son I'd take pictures.  He'll understand the significance, because he knows how everything looked before.  Just imagine tons of clump grass, piles of moldy hay, weeds of every sort including tumbleweeds, mounds of manure, and grass about three feet tall in places. This is what my son's fort looks like now...

He and his friends used to play in there and hide amongst all the grass, weeds, wildflowers, and random wild trees that grew there when they were little. Nowhere to hide now. I'm sure The Calling Card Creeper will be disappointed. This is the spot where I found a half-empty bottle of gin hidden in my bushes, and whoever had been hanging out there had a straight shot view right into our kitchen window.

These are the fruit trees beside my horse paddock, once completely strangled by grass and weeds...

The manure pile is gone...

The guys cleaned up brush all along the edges of our house to get it ready for the house painters...

One guy accidentally chopped our Internet cable in two.  He couldn't see it behind all that sagebrush.  At first I was annoyed, because I can't seem to hire someone to solve one problem without them creating another problem.  When I had a concrete worker over to give me an estimate, he stepped on our rainbird and snapped it off at the pipe.  My husband had to spend last weekend doing repairs to the sprinkler system.

I asked the gardener if he could fix the cable or if I had to call the cable company myself.  He said he'd call his supervisor to fix it.  The supervisor tried to splice it together, but failed.  He asked me if I could call for it to be repaired.  I explained that I would just be routed to someone in India who will waste hours of my time trying to troubleshoot the problem remotely, when we all know exactly what the problem is.  He offered to drive over the to local cable office, tell them that his employee cut the cable with a pick-ax, and light a fire under them to get out today to repair it.  That worked.  I was really impressed with how the supervisor took charge of solving the problem and didn't waste anymore of my time with it.  I always feel good about paying people who have a good work ethic and great customer service.

I asked him if he knew anyone who could help clean up some of the garbage around the property like wood piles and metal scraps.  I was actually going to call the local disposal company at the time I lost the Internet to ask them if they had a program where they could deliver and pick up a dumpster.  The gardener informed me that his crew does all the clean up for the rentals in the area, both inside and outside the houses after renters move out.  Awesome!  So, he offered to take some garbage off my hands today and more of it right before or after the movers arrive.  Since he has to be here anyway to do yard maintenance, it isn't that much extra to haul off a little more stuff.

So, that worked out well.  If they hadn't accidentally cut the cable, I would have set up something more expensive with the local disposal company, so I guess that's proof that there's a reason for everything.

This is a straight shot up the fence line where there used to be a manure pile, stacks of moldy hay, clump grass and all of my neighbors' tumbleweeds...

This area in front of my pasture also used to be filled with moldy hay, swamp grass and sagebrush...

This is the path where I walked the horses out to pasture.  It was narrow, so I had to be careful not to let them step on my toes.  It's much wider now...

This is our well house, which desperately needs a new paint job.  Before the gardeners came, there were weeds and clump grass piled up against the walls, and now the painters can actually paint it...

Multicolored trees watching a thunderstorm move in...

Yes, that is a huge manure pile in front.  That's what my son used as a pole vault pit.  My husband planted grass and wildflower seeds there to see if they would grow.  So far we do have some grass and lots of mushrooms...

That's the dog run to the left...

It's been a long time since the dogs could see through the fence because there was two-feet of grass blocking their view.  We've have deer visiting most nights again, and the dogs don't even pay attention to them anymore.  The dogs are getting good about handling all the noises outside from workers, and they are handling strangers walking in and out of the house pretty well too, as long as they don't knock or ring the doorbell first.  I guess if you want to come to visit, you get barked at and bit, but if you just walk right in to rob the place, you're fine.

I love that Allstate mayhem commercial where the man is the guard dog who gets bribed with a bone and then yells, "Hey!" at the burglars, and says, "You guys are great!"

That big white window shade on the blue house is the guesthouse that my next door neighbor rents out most of the year.  Usually, someone is living in it between March and October, but no one has moved in yet.  No complaints here.

This bathtub used to be a flower pot on our front porch.  My husband moved it down to the edge of the lawn where it would be watered by sprinklers while the concrete was getting poured.

We've been in a debate on what to do with the tub.  I want to have it hauled off to the dump.  My husband wants to keep it where it is.  I supposed it would be a charming flower pot to some people who are looking for a place in the "country", even though we know this neighborhood is hardly country anymore.

Some crocus broke ground this week, so we've got a sprinkle of orange amongst the green and brown.

The gardeners are still out there mowing and weed-whacking.  I'm starting to actually like this property again.  If we can keep it looking nice and new, I won't feel so bad if it doesn't sell and we have to rent.  At least we can keep it in the family in case on of the kids wants to move back to Nevada some day.  They'd better get some earplugs, though, because I don't think the traffic is going to lighten up anytime soon.

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow sure looks like they did a good job cleaning up. Your crocuses look like poppies to me though.

Katharine Swan said...

Is that an old claw foot tub without its feet? I'd offer it for free on Freecycle -- if someone wants it, they'll come and pick it up, no hauling required (and most people on Freecycle are pretty good about showing up, because the moderators will kick no-shows out of the group). If no one claims it, you can just go back to deciding between the options you mentioned. Just go to freecycle.org to sign up for a group in your area.

Laura said...

Sounds like you are really making some great progress now! The property is starting to look nice. I'm glad that the landscaping company has been so helpful (minus cutting the cable, lol) and doing good work for you!

www.FarmLifeLessons.blogspot.com said...

Very nice...lots of progress! Great contractor.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Looking good around there!!

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Wow! They are doing a fantastic job! :) I'm glad you got a good deal for hauling off the rest of the wood and metal. I'm so happy you're almost done and you can go enjoy your new house. It's so exciting!!