Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Next Hurdle

We made it through the moving sale, and as you can see, we didn't sell many of the big items...


The majority of our customers were senior citizens only interested in buying books and toys for their grand kids.  In past yard sales, I could sometimes get rid of furniture if foreigners showed up with just the shirts on their backs, but they never had money, so I often gave the furniture away as gifts.  We already made one trip to the dump yesterday.  We usually make Sunday our day to make trips to the dump, but the Easter holiday got in the way of those plans this weekend.

Also, my husband sold one of our two trucks, so now we can only transport junk to the dump in my brand new truck.  The old truck would have cost more to transport out of state than it was worth.  I called around to a lot of thrift shops to ask if they would pick up the remainders from the moving sale, and either their phone had been disconnected or they had excuses like being short on staff or not having a big enough truck.  I was finally routed to a Salvation Army an hour and a half away from me, and they said they would send a truck out on Tuesday if I call them on Monday and give them the exact list of items I want them to pick up.

Another snowstorm is expected Tuesday night.  I'm praying it won't blow in early, because then I'm going to have to move all that heavy stuff into the garage or cover it with tarps and rocks myself.  Now I know why summer is the height of moving season.  You simply can't organize all your stuff in the winter and spring without being able to move some of it outdoors.  Now my place looks like a junk yard too.  I'm doing a good job keeping up with the neighbors.

I was hauling stuff out into the yard two days in advance of the sale, and people kept doing drive-bys to see what I had and to see if it was worth their time to stop by on Saturday.  I find that to be a rather stupid tactic, because I was only putting out bulky, heavy items and items that I wouldn't care if they got stolen in advance.  The good stuff wasn't going to come out until the morning of the sale.  On the morning of the sale, my husband and I both overslept.  I was running around trying to get stuff set up and cleaned, and sure enough, a man stopped by at 7:15 AM when I advertised that the sale wouldn't begin until 9:00 AM.  In the ad I said no early birds, and explained that we have a limited amount of time to set up, so please respect that.

Anyway, I immediately told the guy that we don't open until 9:00 AM.  He said, "I know.  I just have a question."

I said, "Well, you can ask that question at 9:00 AM then."

He tried to sympathize with me by saying, "I know it's tough getting everything set up by yourself."

The hair stood on end on the back of my neck.  Was this a guy who was looking for a single woman to target?  My husband was in the shower getting ready.  I said, "I'm busy.  What do you want?"

He said, "I want to know if you have any musical instruments."

Again, my hair stood on end.  Anyone who knows our family knows that we, excluding myself, are very musically talented, and we do own a lot of instruments.  This guy must have known us from somewhere, but I couldn't place him.  I said, "That's my husband's thing.  It's early.  We still don't know what all we are planning on selling.  You'll have to come back at 9:00 and ask my husband."

He then asked another question.  I didn't even hear it, because I knew he was manipulating me.  I was being very stern and clear with him, and he just kept smiling at me with his hands in his pockets.  His mannerisms did not match my mood and my communications with him.  I didn't know if he simply wanted the best goods before everyone else or if he had more sinister plans, but I wasn't about to allow him to follow me into my garage with more questions after I repeatedly told him to come back at 9:00 AM.  I waved goodbye to him, said I had to finish setting up, and I went in the house and locked the door.

The man did leave, and did come back much later, and did ask my husband about musical instruments.  My husband could only think of one he was willing to part with, so he brought it out of the house and sold him that item.  There were several people who commented that we would do better if we rescheduled the sale for a non-holiday weekend.  Both my husband and I sighed in exasperation and said, "We're doing the best we can between our own moving schedule and the weather."

I hate it when people give unsolicited advice without knowing how much stress we are under from our circumstances.  We are always doing the best we can within our limitations and different people have different sets of limitations. 

So, the next big hurdle is to make sure that I have all the donations set out and ready by Tuesday.  Then I have to turn my brain on the horses and spend some time training them to hold still for the leg wraps I bought.  Usually, I trailer them such short distances that I just put splint boots on all four legs.  However, since this is a long haul, I bought polo wraps.  My horses aren't good about standing still while I fiddle around with polo wraps, and I'm sure it will be even more difficult if the truck driver shows up before I get a chance to put the wraps on, because as soon as my horses spot a horse trailer, they go nuts.  It's such a pain to wrap dancing legs.

I know I should practice trailering Bombay with another horse to help him get over his phobia, but say he does freak out because he associates bad experiences in my trailer, and I have to pay another huge vet bill to have him stitched up and pay for more repairs to my trailer, I'll kind of set things up to be difficult for the horse hauler, because there will be a fresh incident in my horse's brain.  At least as things stand, he hasn't been trailered since his last accident, which was a year ago, he'll be entering a completely different horse trailer with a different feel to it, he'll be in a box stall instead of a slant load, and he'll have both his buddies with him on the trip.   It never helps that I've got three horses and only a two-horse trailer, so there's always one horse that's left behind running alongside us screaming.  I think I'll leave things alone in the hauling department until the pro gets here.

I think I will also buy a month of insurance on the horses too, just in case Bombay does injure himself, the other horses, or destroys the trailer.  This truck driver claims that he has transported horses safely and successfully that were supposedly a lot worse in trailers than Bombay.  That tells me that his rig probably has a smooth ride, which is what Bombay needs.  I had one person offer to transport my horses for me, and I explained my "special case".  She said, "Oh, I don't tolerate pawing or any kind of movement in the trailer.  I hobble the horses the in the trailer."

I said, "What if they fall down?  They need their legs to balance themselves."

She said, "Oh, I purposefully try to make them fall down by driving fast, making tight turns and going over large bumps. because once they fall down,  I never have problems with them making a racket back there anymore because they put all of their concentration into trying to stand up."

I said thanks for the offer, but no thank you.  My horse already has psychological issues with hauling, and I don't aim to add to them.

Just like the timing issue with the snowstorm and picking up the furniture sitting outside, I have a timing issue with the horses.  The truck driver can't be early or late, because then no one will be available on the other end to receive the horses.  The owner of the boarding facility, who is also the horse trainer and handler, will only be there during one 24-hour period and can't find anyone to fill her role.  I hate it when things get that tight.  This means that the truck driver has to experience perfect weather and traffic conditions to stay on schedule.  It's all so nerve wracking.  If worse comes to worse, I suppose I could race ahead of him and get to the boarding facility before him, and get the horses into the pens myself.  I tend to suffer from hallucinations when I drive for 12 hours straight, though.

Then once the horses are gone and safe and sound, I can concentrate on finishing packing and fixing up the old house, I hope.  It's looking like Midge does have pancreatitis.  She drinks excessively, pees excessively and pants excessively.  And she's obviously prone to urinary and digestive tract infections.  There doesn't appear to be any cure beyond watching her diet closely and making sure she gets let outside every half an hour before she lets loose on the carpet.  We're thinking there must be something in the air or the water here, because all of our dogs developed these same symptoms at the ends of their lives.  I'm not looking forward to transporting her out of state.  It will definitely be a two-day trip with all the half-hour bathroom breaks we will have to make.

13 comments:

Dreaming said...

I can't believe someone would actually try to make horses fall down in the trailer. Bizarre!
It sounds like you are 'marching along' and getting things done. How'd your hubby's job interview go?

Linda said...

Wow--about the hobbling and wanting them to fall down thing. Wow. Wow. Wow. :/

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Purposefully makes a hobbled horse fall down so they won't make a racket? Seriously? Are people really that stupid??!

If you're worried about your horses' legs, instead of polo wraps, you may want to consider shipping boots instead.

And for Midge, you could get her some doggie diapers to wear for the trip. That's what I've seen dog show people do for their incontinent dogs on long trips. Or just use some piddle pads on the bottom of her dog crate.

Well, I bet you're glad the garage sale is over now. One more thing you can cross of the list of things to do.
Onward and upwards to your new and better life!

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Dreaming - I can't say much about the job interview. Each time he has an interview they tell him there will be another round of interviews before they will make a decision. I think it's ridiculous to make people go through three rounds of interviews. Our time is valuable, but I understand that they want to choose the right candidate.

Lisa - You may remember my shipping boot fiasco. I bought the smallest size possible and they still slip off his legs and cause him to stomp around in a panic. When I told everyone I was using shipping boots, they all told me to use polo wraps.

Doggie diapers is an option I forgot about. She used to wear them when she got her periods, so at least she'll be used to them.

Cheryl Ann said...

My daughter is a middle school band teacher and she is always on the lookout for used musical instruments. She only has a limited budget at her school. She often visits pawn shops, too, so the man's question, to me, doesn't seem that unusual...Also, our son just went through a whole series of interviews for his new job. Then, he got a reject letter in the mail, but was told he got the job! Oye! Companies seem to be extra choosy right now...sigh...

Stacey said...

WOW. Of course, I'm with everyone else...I can't believe someone really told you they MAKE horses try to fall down in a trailer?? That is insane!!!!!!

Best of luck with the rest of the interviews for your hubby and selling the rest of your items you're trying to get out of there!

I may have missed it somewhere, and sorry if I did but have you decided on a hauler yet? I'm having Bob Hubbard ship Klein again. They did an absolutely WONDERFUL job with Klein when she was on her way to NM from Hawaii. They picked her up in CA after her layover from getting off the ship and they were just awesome. Called me every time they stopped, told me how much water she was drinking. Called me any time there was an ETA change. She had a HUGE hay net stuffed full when she arrived. They were great! So they will definitely be taking her to GA next month!

fernvalley01 said...

Make the horse fall down so he wont fuss????? That's a new one me!
Busy times! glad you got some things sold

appydoesdressage said...

I agree with you on my dislike of shipping boots, they are such a pain because they really don't fit well. I use pillow wraps with polo's/standing wraps and then bell boots, it provides almost the same amount of protection (depending on the shipping boot). If you want to stay with just polo's I would recommend bell boots on all 4 feet, that way if they step on themselves they will pull the bell boot off before they hurt their hooves. Good luck!

Cut-N-Jump said...

A few words of advice on the leg wraps- DON'T Use them. If they come loose- the horse will do more damage worrying about the damn wrap than if they were off. Also the driver doesn't have time or really the authority to put them back on. What if they put them on too tight & bow a tendon. It has happened and I am sure you would rather it doesn't.

Boots- same thing. Splint boots on the fronts are one thing, all the way around, not so much. You would be surprised that the horses can handle it well without anything on their legs to fuss over. Besides, they can sweat under the boots and rub sores, etc. Leave them off.

For the person hobbling a horse and driving like a nutcase- yeah, just not a good way to teach a horse anything. But then that's just my opnion, for whatever it is worth.

I wouldn't worry about Bombay. He will be fine. Like you said, if you were to put him on the trailer now and he flips out again- you are just confirming in his mind trailering is a bad thing. It is also making the haulers job a bit tougher too. Let him get a good ride in on the trailer and when he is here, if you would like, I can help you get him sorted out and over the issues with trailers. For now just worry about the move, the house, the packing and all the other stuff that goes with it.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Cut-N-Jump - You're an angel. Yeah, when he had his last freak out, he was wearing splint boots and Old Macs, and he destroyed both. Any horse that can destroy rubber boots in 10-seconds can certainly shred some polo wraps and shipping boots. Once those come loose, it's like a snake attacking their legs.

lilyrose said...

The person who hobbles a horse in a trailer is nuts! Scary.
We trailer our horses long distances quite frequently(my hubby rides endurance). We never use boots or wraps-it's usually safer-especially with a horse like Bombay. I'm curious about where you will be boarding your horses.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh yeah...I forgot about the huge shipping boot fiasco. No, you're right, don't do that.

I agree with lilyrose and cutnjump. I prefer never to place anything on my horses' legs when trailering.

And I've only had one leg injury experience while trailering, when my friend's horse who was sharing the trailer with my Apache, somehow clipped her back heel. There was blood, but the cut itself was very minor. And we were all still able to ride after we got there and got her horse cleaned up.

I've never used shipping boots or polo wraps or even bell boots on either of my horses.

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Oh my goodness!!! I can't believe someone actually does that on purpose to those poor horses! This wasn't a professional shipper was it? If it was she needs to be reported for animal abuse or something. That is so wrong. :(

I'm sure Bombay will be fine on the shipper's trailer since it's a box stall. :)

Poor Midge. Is she feeling any better?