Monday, April 23, 2012

Off Topic, But Interesting

Sunday morning at 8:00 AM I was working on my computer and my husband was in the shower.  I heard and felt a large boom that shook our house.  My first thought was that something had hit our house.  My second thought was that my husband had collapsed in the shower.  I ran to him first, but he was fine.  I asked if he fell into a wall or something.  He made the sound of him falling into a wall, but it wasn't loud enough to be what I heard, so I went outside and circled the house searching for what hit it.  Nothing.

Later we read in the news that a meteor broke up over our area at 8:00 AM, creating a sonic boom that set off the alarms at Wal-Mart.  The boom was felt around the Tahoe Basin and into California as far north as Tehama County and as far south as Riverside County. It was also reported by residents in Las Vegas.  I don't think I've ever experienced that before.  I've seen meteor showers at night, but they were silent.  I've never had one pass so close as to break the sound barrier.  One witness saw the flaming ball and claimed it flew about 100 yards over her head. 

My TV was showing the movie 2012 all day, so I had to pause and wonder...

4 comments:

Cut-N-Jump said...

That is a strange turn of events.

Are you glad you are leaving there soon? Does this add to that feeling? I'm thinking it does or it should!

Reddunappy said...

LOL Cool!!
That would have scared me too!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Very creepy phenomenon!!

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

That's so cool! I wish I could have seen it lol. I wonder how close it came . . . did it reach the ground? Could it really have been only 100 yards from that woman? That's sounds like an exaggeration lol.