Thursday, April 19, 2012

Pictures, as Promised

My husband sent me some pictures from his iPhone of the new house. These are his sleeping accommodations...

I think it is funny that the master bedroom is yellow, because we keep trying to paint the rooms in our old house beige and they always end up yellow.  This is HIS walk-in closet...

This is one side of HERS walk-in closet with window and shutters...

My husband is worried that I might feel the need to buy more clothes and shoes to fill it up.  Nah.  I'm going nuts trying to get rid of much of the clothing I have.  But I might buy some more blue jeans because the insides of the thighs keep thinning out and ripping thanks to all my horseback riding.

Remember my photography studio?  This is what it looks like as of today...

I've already managed to scratch the solid stain off the deck right after the handyman painted it, so I'll have to put on a patch coat after the movers leave.

Below is my son's room.  I doubt he'll recognize it.  Ignore the pink valance.  That was there when we moved in and I've been too busy over the past 18 years to look for a blue one...

Below is my daughter's room, which, ironically, is blue...

She's probably never seen her desk clean before.  Next is our new walkway in the back yard.  The concrete guys did a really good job...

Previously it was broken into multiple pieces and I knew that a home inspector would hassle me about it.  It was also calling attention to the fact that our add-on is illegal.  I'm hoping that the fresh concrete will distract the home inspector so that he won't notice the makeshift foundation.  We didn't build the add on.  It was there when we moved in.  We also had to replace the corner slab in the front of the house, because a tree root broke it into two pieces long ago.  We actually chopped down the tree about 17 years ago, but the damage remained.

Another tree, a wild Honey Locust that grew from a wayward seed, broke this part of the walkway.  My husband chopped it down this past year and had to tear out the concrete because it was a tripping hazard.

All fixed.  Now the movers can get our piano and china hutch out of the house with a dolly because there is no longer a hole in the walkway.

Below is the tile in our entryway, kitchen and dining area.  It looks good in this picture, but many of the tiles are cracked and chipped.  The flooring company is coming out tomorrow to remove the wood border, sand it down and stain it to match the new laminate that will go in over the tiles.

I had to get out the vacuum cleaner to try to get up the dog hair in the crevices.  We've always had furniture pushed up against the rise, so it's never been cleaned.  I was disgusted to find a petrified apple that one of the dogs dragged in from the back yard many years ago hiding in a dark crevice.  It's a good thing I found it before the flooring people did.  The duct tape is holding an electrical cord in place so that no one will trip over it.

The owners of the flooring company are the most adorable couple.  The man showed me that he's missing his two front teeth and said that he's trying to drum up more business so that he can get some new teeth.  I wrote out a check and said, "Here you go.  This should cover it."  I like his wife, because she just completely took over picking out products and matching up colors for me, because she understood that I'm busy moving and don't really care about the details.  I just want someone to fix the freakin' floors before I sell or rent the house.

The painter is starting to get on my nerves, though, because he's taking up too much of my time rehashing old stuff we've already discussed.  I called him and left a message asking if he could paint the exterior next week, and he called back and left a message saying he could.  Then he called again today and left a message asking if I got his previous message.  I called him back and assured him that I got his message and I'm glad he's starting next week.  He then said he will call me again this weekend to confirm.  Isn't that just what we did?  I'm busy.  I don't have time to be answering the phone every few minutes.

I tried carrying my mobile phone in a pouch on my belt loop, but when I carry boxes, they bump the phone and it starts calling whoever last called me.  I've "butt-dialed", or in my case "box-dialed", several people already, so I had to set the phone down on a table.  Now every time I walk out of the room, I miss a call.  That's why I don't want people calling me unnecessarily.  Also, I sent this painter his contract weeks ago through email as a .PDF, and he kept leaving messages asking me to mail him the contract.  I figured he needed the original, so I mailed it off, but the USPS takes a few days to deliver locally, so I don't know why he keeps calling every day asking for the contract.  Hopefully, once he starts painting, he'll settle down and leave me be so I can concentrate on moving.

I'm hoping I can move myself when the furniture moves, but I suspect I'll be stuck here a while coordinating home repairs, because some of the people I hired to help just can't simply do it and send me the bill.  They have to have their hand held.  What I really want is for my real estate agent to take over coordinating the home repairs.  He said he would, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh my God.  The dogs just started growling, so I looked outside to see what they were all riled up about.  A strange man was walking down the street.  I'd never seen him before, so I watched him to make sure he wasn't up to something bad.  It turned out that he was coming from my annoying neighbors' house.  He was walking their dog and picking up their mail.  When he returned to their property, he stopped to bend over and pick up some rocks off the ground.  He very deliberately turned toward my horse paddock and brought his arm back to throw the rocks over the fence into my yard, but stopped short when he saw me in the window.

He then turned and kept walking toward the front door and tossed the rocks off to the side as he went inside the house.  You know, I've been finding rocks all over my paddock that weren't there before, and I suspected that someone from next door was throwing rocks over the fence, possibly at my horses, only I suspected the little kid -- not a grown man! 

No word from my husband yet about the horses or his job interview.  I'll keep you posted.

8 comments:

Mikey said...

That guy is totally busted. I would be PISSED. Even though the horses are gone, obviously he's done it before. I don't know how you've stood it this long. Can't wait for you to get down here!! Welcome to the hot, it's 90 today :) Just remember this. In Aug, when you think it's too much, and then in Sept, when it never seems to end, just hold out and stay in the A/C. It does get cooler and the winters are PERFECT.

Dreaming said...

It looks like you have made incredible progress! I'm so impressed!
I cracked up about your 'box dialing'. Last night I went out to dinner with some blogger friends.... after I had fallen off Doc. I took and ice pack with me, but needed to use my pocket book to hold the ice pack against my tail bone. I truly 'butt dialed' my hubby in the process!

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I know you can't wait to leave but it just seems so unfair to get things that needed to be fixed, done, right when you're selling the place. I had a '66 VW Bug with a terrible paint job, for years. Painted it the most gorgeous peacock blue, put on new chrome fenders, and sold it. I always felt so cheated out of enjoying it when it looked good.

Crystal said...

Love the new sidewalks, they look soo good! Will be nice to get the movers in and all the boxes out and finally get to leave the annoying neighbors :)))

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

So excited for you!! Everything looks so sparkly clean, organized and ready for you to move out...and move in!

But that idiot rock throwing man....I have no words.

Hang in there.....you're so very close!!!

~Lisa

Laura said...

I'm getting really excited for you - I love seeing all of those boxes packed up in tidy little rows. :-)

Makes me realize that I only have 6 weeks to pack up and move myself - better get started!

The new walkways look good - things are really moving along!

Cheryl Ann said...

Your house looks really nice. Yes, you'll have to adjust to summers in Arizona, but just stay indoors in the hot part of the day. I go out early in the mornings and then late afternoon. I never go shopping or run errands in the middle of the day in the summer!!! :-(

achieve1dream said...

Hmm does your cell phone not have a key lock? I had one like that, but found out it had a lock. It doesn't stop you from being able to answer, but it stops the phone from dialing numbers when it's locked.

Sorry the repair people are being a pain. I hope it finished up quickly.