Wednesday, April 25, 2012

We're Trapped

The painters showed up again today and I thought they were just going to scrape, sand and nail in nails, and then leave before the storm moves in, but they sealed me and the dogs into our house by stapling plastic over all the windows and doors, except for the front door.

The head painter is sick.  I avoided shaking his hand, but now I'm sick with a sore throat, swollen glands, chills, nausea and lethargy.  I got two boxes packed and then had to lay down the rest of the day in order to avoid throwing up.  I only got up to put the leashes on the dogs to take them out front to do their business.  I wish the painters could have left the back door uncovered and closed the gates so that I could just let the dogs out that door instead.

The wind picked up and it rained a bit, so the painters left.  It's supposed to be windier tomorrow with a greater chance of rain, but they don't want to take down the plastic.  I may just take it off the back door myself just for the night, and then staple it back up before the come back, because it is going to be a pain in the butt having to wake up six times during the night to put on some clothes and walk the dogs out the front door.  I may have to make it a diaper night.  We've become proficient in sleep-walking to the back door, opening it, waiting for the dogs to return, and then going right back to sleep, but if we have to actually take them out front on leashes, all that exercise is going to wake us up. 

It would have been nice if the painter had forewarned us of this inconvenience.  We need to open our garage door so that we can have some light and start packing things in there, but they have that covered in plastic too.

My husband had to get into the well house to shut off the sprinkler system so that it didn't wash the fresh paint off the house and ruin the painters' equipment, so they had to rip the plastic off that door for him.

If I had any inkling that painting the exterior of the house could interfere with our ability to pack before the movers arrive, and our ability to let our incontinent dog outside to pee, I would have told the painters to hold off until after we move out.  The last time I experienced a house painting project was 17 years ago, and I don't remember any of this.  I do remember that we had hired just one guy to do that job and it seemed to take forever, because he did everything by hand.  So, this time I hired a team of three men to spray the paint on, and now the weather is dragging out the process.

7 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow that sounds so inconvenient, might have been better to wait...if you only knew.

fernvalley01 said...

Hope its all over soon. Hang in there and keep your eye on the prize! (I know that doesn't help when you are feeling crappy and trapped but ...)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Don't you just hate all those annoying inconveniences caused by home renovations, maintenance, and moving projects? Ugh!
Just remember, it's just temporary and you'll make it through.

~Lisa

Reddunappy said...

I would just take the back door plastic off! They could have asked you about that! Its not so hard to only have to cover one door before they start to paint!!
Make yourself comfortable, you are paying them.

Cut-N-Jump said...

A little warning would have been nice, but this too shall pass. Keep that in mind and chin up.

BTW- It's raining here today.

lilyrose said...

Sorry you're feeling under the weather. Hope you recover quickly. I would remove the plastic-they can put it back up when they need to.

achieve1dream said...

Wow that sucks. Sorry you're sick. I hope you feel better soon!