Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Who's the Annoying Neighbor Now?

After having to listen to the sounds of weed-whackers and lawn mowers all day and night yesterday while my gardeners were here, my neighbors got to listen to the sound of pressure sprayers blowing the old paint off my house all day today.  Apparently, the guy had a difficult time of it, because the job was expected to only take a couple of hours, but he's been putting in a full day trying to blast that old paint off the wood.  The noise from the machinery he's using is loud.  That's an understatement.

I hope the neighbor who has been bugging me for years to repaint our house is enjoying all the noise.  She finally got what she wanted.  

My friend came over to give me a going away gift and to take me out to lunch.  Midge did not like being left alone inside the house with that racket going on outside, so she pissed all over the carpet.

On our way back from the restaurant, I was stopped at a 4-way intersection ready to make a left.  My friend had just finished reading my suspense novel, THE NEXT DOOR, (see side bar of this blog for more information), and she recognized the barn that I used for the front cover of the novel.  It was sitting on the other side of the intersection.

Turning right onto the road I was turning off of was my creepy neighbor, the older man who just stares at me and drools for hours on end.  He began his turn, but then spotted me and slammed on his brakes.  He had one of his construction workers in his truck with him, and he pointed at me.  The two men sat there in the truck staring at me through their windshield while blocking the intersection.  I kept waiting for someone to honk at them.  It was bizarre.  It was like they saw me and their whole world stopped.  They completely forgot that they were sitting in the middle of an intersection.

It must be my mesmerizing beauty.  There's no other explanation for the way I can stop men in their tracks.  *smirk*

I contemplated picking my nose right then, but didn't want to gross out my friend, who was oblivious of what was going on, because she was so busy admiring the barn that was on the front of my novel.

I made my turn, which woke up the old pervert driving the truck, and he finished his turn, thus unclogging the intersection.  I, of course, told my friend what happened.  I then told her the story of that neighbor grunting and groaning while watching me clean stalls, his face turning pink, then red, then purple, until he let out a howl.  Since he didn't have a heart attack, I had to assume he was doing something very inappropriate to himself.  I said to her, "But everyone says that an 85-year-old man is incapable of doing that."

She said, "Oh, that's not so.  An 85-year-old man is very capable of doing that."

She's a psychologist, so I trust her facts.  After our lunch she headed on down to a Native American trading post where she and I spent our summers as kids.  She's been writing about the area and her experiences there, but can't seem to stop revising the book long enough to publish it.  It's really a fantastic memoir that I will readily advertise here once it is available.

Anyway, she was going to pick up some sage smudge sticks and mail one to my new house, so that I can rid the house of any negative energy left behind by the previous owners.  I'm going to need it.  I'm very sensitive to residual energy, so I'll try anything to cleanse the place.  My ears are still burning from the nasty names those family members called each other while we were touring the house as potential buyers.  I was baffled how such ugly people on the inside can still keep up such a beautiful home.

According to my real estate agent, they are still hassling her for us to sign some contract papers despite escrow having already closed, and they've been returning to the house to snoop around even though we own it now, so my real estate agent is having the entire house re-keyed.  Apparently, the sellers are still angry that we bought the home at the appraised value and not their last asking price, which was $20,000 over the appraised value, so they feel like they've been ripped off.  They're having a hard time moving on, so we may have to set up some security once we move in.  I guess there are annoying people everywhere you go.  I can only hope that they get a life and turn their attention elsewhere, instead of dwelling on any unhappiness they may feel about selling their home.

8 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Well then I guess if they can't let that house go they shouldn't have sold it. People are weird.

I do hope the racket that was hammering your house all day while you weren't home annoyed the hell out of your neighbors. They have it coming and some more besides.

Creepy old guy. Guess your beauty just shines like a ray of sunshine on the old pervert and he can't look away.

Sounds like a good day...except for Midge. But you really can't blame her.

RiverBend Farm said...

I'm sorry you can't seem to rid yourself of that pervert wherever you go, but,girl, you keep me in stitches reading your post! I really pray that you can get moved and enjoy a life of peace and quiet. Is this a place where you can have your horses or do you have to keep them boarded?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

RiverBend Farm - The place has 4 undeveloped acres, and I've been trying to get someone to build a horse facility for me, but contractors in the area seem to be difficult to get a hold of, so I'm boarding the horses until I can get some help installing a paddock/riding arena, shade covers, a mare motels and hay storage.

fernvalley01 said...

Payback is a B*tch! hope the neighbors enjoy the noise . and after 25 years in home care working with seniors (most of whom I adored ) your friend is right and 85 yr old can absolutely do that , matter of fact I believe it is the last thing to go ~!

Cut-N-Jump said...

I agree with Fern on this one- I hope the neighbors hate all the noise. I would crank up the radio and sing along at the top of my lungs, just to add to it though. Because I can.

As for the creepster guy- I would have pointed at him, smiled and flipped him the bird. You're moving anyways! Why wait?

Rebecca said...

I actully love the look of the stripped paint on the well house :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Too bad you can't just leave the house's siding all stripped, neglected and abandoned looking. And then schedule some loud annoying construction type job at least once a week while you're settling into your new house in AZ.
Turn about is fair play.

Creepy old man....we gotta think up something evil to gift him before you move on...

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

I hope the people in AZ move on and leave you in peace. You have had more than your fair share of annoying people!!

I can't wait to see pictures once your old house is repainted. It's so typical that you can't spiff the place up until you're moving out. I had that happen to me too. It always makes you a little sad to leave. It will be so worth it though.