Saturday, May 19, 2012

First AZ Geocache Hunt

My husband and I started off the morning updating our contact info for all our accounts and on all the websites we use.  When I got to Geocaching.com, I did a quick search to see if there were any geocaches hidden in the equestrian trails across the road.  Sure enough, there were several!

My daughter volunteered to go on a quick hike with me to find the three closest ones.  We came to an area that dipped down into a gully.  The geocache was hidden in one of the coolest ways I've seen yet.  There was a hole in a tree trunk, and someone fashioned a hanger to hook over the opening of the hole, and deep inside the tree at the bottom of the hanger was a pill bottle with a paper log for you to sign your name and date of visit.  I've probably already given out too much information, but I won't tell you the name or coordinates.

We turned around after signing the log and putting the cache back into its hiding spot, and were surprised to see a cave in the side of the gully.  We just looked at it from a distance, because I'm still a little freaked out about all the plant and animal life around here.  This morning my husband was sitting on the back porch with Midge, and a bunny went racing across our yard.  Had Scrappy been out there off leash and spotted that bunny, he's be after it in a second.  However, this time, trotting a short distance behind the bunny was a hungry coyote.  He stopped to study my husband, but didn't seemed particularly scared of him.  My husband quickly gathered up Midge and took her in the house.

The second geocache was buried under a pile of rocks, and I forgot to bring my gloves.  I very carefully knocked one rock off at a time, half expecting a scorpion to crawl out, but nothing bothered us.  By the time we were done with the second cache, the Arizona sun was beating down pretty hard on us and, as usual, we didn't bring water, so I opted to head back to the house and save the third geocache for another day. 

I also forgot my camera, but there are a bunch of things I want to photograph for you on my next hike out.  There is what we call "Christian graffiti" along the trails, words like "love", "hope", "joy" and "believe" painted onto rocks.  We're having a good time finding new ones each day. 

7 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Correction: The title should read, "First AZ Geocache Hunt Since Moving Here". I actually did some geocaching and letterboxing in Arizona a couple of years ago.

fernvalley01 said...

Sounds like a nice outing

lytha said...

This is definitely my husband's favorite blog post you've written.: ) Now we'll have to go to Arizona again for caches. And try to avoid getting sick/killed/beamed off planet due to the killer plants/wildlife/aliens nearby.

I hate caches in rockeries or rock walls. They are the worst! So glad you are out there caching. I go for one a week on average lately, because my man is on this wild challenge of finding one cache per day for a year. Tomorrow we'll do an 8 km multi.

Reddunappy said...

Fun!!

Dreaming said...

I'm so glad you are having some fun in your new location. Hooray!

ryde2rope said...

..Don't forget that Rattlesnakes are out now.... be careful digging around. We came across two while riding trails out there yesterday.

achieve1dream said...

Sounds like so much fun. :D I can't wait to see pictures next time you go out. Please take water with you though. That's kind of scary to be out there like that with nothing to drink. After coming really close to getting heat stroke I'm really paranoid about it now.