Thursday, May 24, 2012

From the Inbetween State

This is one of two horses who live up on the hill above the arroyo.  Their knickers and whinnies will have to suffice until I can get my horses onto my property.  I haven't given up yet.  I just keep reminding myself that because of the move, we are going to get walloped with all kinds of additional, unexpected expenses that are going to thwart my plans and make me go over budget, but some day things will settle down.  Think of all the years when I had a regular income and nothing going wrong to cost us money.  I can get to that space again if I'm patient.  Right now the county permit process is what is holding up my horse facility from being built.  So, my horse trailer just sits on my lot loaded with uneaten hay.

This is the camper trailer that is sitting at the back of our lot.  During the process of trying to obtain maps that show our property lines, dimensions, and where the house and septic are located on the lot, I discovered that even though my neighbors' property goes all the way up to the middle of the paved road above the cliff, our property actually stops just when the cliff flattens out.  So, since this camper is on the edge of the cliff, it technically is not on our property.

That's good, because I didn't want to have to enforce our property lines and make enemies with squatters.  We really can't use the property that is in and above the arroyo anyway, so it makes sense that the neighbors behind us should own the eastern side of the arroyo bank.

Our neighbor thought our property should extend to the middle of the paved street like his does, but his property is bigger than ours and the arroyo turns abruptly away from his property, which pushes his line further east.

This history of our property is kind of interesting.  The people who built our home in 2003, first lived in the home next door and owned five acres.  With the woman being a real estate agent, she was always looking for a profit, so she built a newer home next to the home they lived in and put the older home on the market, only giving it one acre out of the five.  In other words, she subdivided.  Ugh.

That left the property of our house to be an upside-down L shape, because the property behind the old house belongs to the new house.  I guess they didn't expect to sell their old house right away, but they did, so they arranged with the buyer to live out of the garage until their new house was built.  My husband did go inside the old house and saw the the floor plan was almost identical to ours, only smaller and flipped around, so that means there was probably a bathroom off the garage.

They lived in the new house a short while, and then put it on the market to try to make a profit during the variable home loan debacle,  They were trying to get a million dollars for this house, which I find to be a complete joke, because it really is a very small house.  I'm realizing that while I advertise my old home at 2,100 square feet of LIVING SPACE, not counting the garage, the barn, the well house, and the add on, the sellers advertised this home as being 2,400 square feet, but they cheated because they included the three-bay garage and shed.  So, now we can't get all of our stuff to fit in this house.  Our gym, my quilting station, my photography studio, and our drum set all have to live in the garage and our cars have to sit outside.

However, considering that we are in Arizona and the three air conditioners run non-stop in May while I have the thermostat set to 82 degrees, it's probably better that we have a smaller home to save on electricity.  I just have a hard time understanding why I had to pay double the value of our Nevada home to buy a smaller home in Arizona.  I guess the land is what makes it valuable from the perspective of others.  I, of course, was buying the peace, quiet and privacy.

This morning I took the dogs out to do their business.  Mornings I have to go out to the front "yard", because that's the side of the house the shade is on.  I put "yard" in quotes, because it's all just landscaping rocks and pebbles.  Anyway, I was in my tap pant pajamas when I heard a neighbor leaving for work.  I was quickly trying to get the dogs in the house before she saw me, but the lady raced past the house so fast that she was a blur.  I didn't see her and she didn't see me.  Because the road is paved, I didn't have to inhale her dust and because she drove a minivan, I didn't have to plug my ears to the sound of the engine.  Big difference from when neighbors drove past my home in Nevada.

There is one guy with a ridiculously loud truck engine who lives probably a mile away from me, and I can hear him leaving for work if I'm sitting on the patio.  I can hear him driving through the streets of Apache Junction until he gets on the freeway, and then he's gone.  But he's the only one of those I've discovered so far.  I expected to find more loud engine fanatics, because so many houses around here are bone yards for old vehicles, but fortunately no one drives them.  I'll bet they couldn't pass the smog checks.  That's probably why there were so many old, beat up trucks with loud engines racing around where I lived before.  No smog checks.  I'm sure that will change, though, because we were starting to get smog in our valley, ruining our view of the Eastern Sierra when I left.

My husband was trying to get me to unload the car in Nevada on someone for cheap, because he didn't want me to have to go back to get it.  The problem is that I parked it in the garage, and I need to return not just for the car, but for a carload of other personal items I left behind and did not pack.  I also really want to see what the house looks like with fresh paint on the inside and new flooring.  It makes sense that since I'm paying for all that, I should be able to see it.

I booked a flight for the only day that I could based on when I could get a ride from the airport, when I could get an oil change for the car, and when I could drive out of state while the registration was still in effect.  I really did not want to have to spend an entire weekday in the DMV getting a 15-day drive away permit.  After I booked the flight, it hit me that I was going to be having another visit from my Aunt Flo right during that travel period.  I was like, "Really?  Really?  I have to go through THAT all over again?"

I was literally railroaded into only being able to make this trip during that time frame only to find out that I'm going to need an aisle seat on the plane, and there are none left, and I won't be able to drive without having to stop every half an hour.  At that rate it will take me three days to get to Arizona.  I thought hard, and then remembered that once my OB-GYN helped me postpone Flo's visit with hormones.  I can't see a doctor right now, because we have no health insurance.  Our old health insurance ended when my husband left his old job last week, and the new health insurance doesn't kick in until June.  So, I have to stay out of trouble for a couple of weeks.

So, I dug through my stuff until I found an old pill pack of hormone therapy.  I'm giving that approach a try since this time I won't have the luxury of camping out in the old house for a week until "she" leaves.  Go back to Kansas or wherever you come from, Flo.  Good riddance.

Oh yes, and I tested out the maroon spa in the new house last night.  I first had to wash all the spiders down the drain, but it works!  Right when I was climbing in, someone called from Nevada and wanted to set up a portrait session with me.  I was like, "Really?  I've been in business and advertising one and a half years, and only when I move out of state do I start getting jobs?  What is up with this weird timing?  Everything seems so out of sync."

Or maybe I'm just moving too fast.  I'm ahead of my time.  Yeah, that's it.  I'll just keep telling myself that.

8 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well, that's a nice piece of positive news! I hope your photography business really takes off in AZ.

But I think I'm still stuck at the thought of having 3 A/C's running 24/7 even set above 80F. Wow. I can't even imagine the electric bill for that.
We've not even had to turn on our A/C-aka-Swamp Cooler for the past 2 years. Our cool mountain breezes with the windows open for cross-ventilation, along with our ceiling fans are all that we need to stay comfortable all summer long.

~Lisa

lytha said...

hi nuzmuz, i was having a crapy day - it took me 2 hours to get home from work on the clogged highways, and someone actually rear-ended me in the process. i've never been rear-ended before and in germany i don't really know what to do.

but then i read your blog post and it cheered me up because i think you are getting what you were looking for, i hope - solitude? relative peace and quiet? i sure hope so.

please take more pics - i'm so curious about every aspect of your new life.

not having the horses at home will give you more free time i hope to unpack.

i had to laugh about the stuff in the garage and the cars outside - that is something my husband noticed about america right away: )

lytha said...

oh, and thermostat set to 82???!!! i'd die in arizona!!!! it's 80 today and i had the fans going on me all day, and the blinds down so my office was dark. there is no such thing as AC in germany outside of your own automobile. i sure enjoy my driving time (except for tonight). i cannot imagine setting an AC to 82!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Temps outside have been above a hundred, but it doesn't feel uncomfortable. It's deceiving, because with a little wind it doesn't feel that hot, but if you spend too much time outdoors in the sun symptoms of heat exhaustion can overtake you pretty quick. I'm acclimated to everything except the brightness. If I go outside without sunglasses, I feel like I've been knocked flat on my ass.

And, Lytha, I'm glad you made it home. I can imagine that if someone got rear-ended on the Autobahn, they might not make it out alive. I hope your car didn't have much damage. I'll go check your blog and see if you wrote about it.

Cheryl Ann said...

Only 82? Man, I run and open all the windows when it is in the 80's here! It's a DRY heat, however, unless it is August. Oh, you'll LOVE the monsoon season!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

John is working at the Phoenix Airport 5 days a week, living in the airport and then flying home on his days off. He's outside in that 100+ degree heat for most of the day. When he comes back home to New Mexico, his body goes into shock (shivering, feeling sick, dizzy) because of the extreme temperature change:

Last week it was 98F+ at night when he left AZ, and when he arrived in ABQ just 40 mins later, it was only 62F.
By the time he got up in the mountains he needed a jacket because it was just 55F.

His body had to acclimate from 98F down to 55F in such a short time

I imagine it's hard on his body to adjust to those extreme fluctuations every week.

~Lisa

Horse Bit said...

Horses are such wonderful creatures.

achieve1dream said...

Having the thermostat set on 82 sounds perfect to me, especially since it's a dry heat over there. I like my house set at 80 and we have extremely humid summers hehe. I don't like to be cold. :) Arizona sounds sooooo much nicer than Nevada. I can't wait for you to be done with the old house so you can start enjoying your new home. :)