Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Journey: Part 3

The drive from Northern Nevada to the Phoenix area of Arizona was relatively uneventful, save getting accosted in a gas station in Blythe by a beggar who claimed to be out of both gas and money.  You always have to wonder about people like that.  How did they get into the situation of being stranded, assuming they are telling the truth?  Didn't they plan ahead?  Do they survive through pan-handling?  Are they running away from home on impulse?  Have they escaped from prison and stolen a vehicle and ran out of gas?  Who knows, but being a woman traveling alone, I wasn't about to whip out my purse and wallet and start counting out the cash in front of this stranger.

By the time I got to the new house, I was having visual hallucinations.  I had left my old house around 4:00 AM and arrived at the new house at 9:00 PM.  My husband can make the drive much faster that that, but if I drove over 60 MPH pulling that trailer, it would sway.  I was also guzzling gas in that truck and had to refill quite often despite the oversized fuel tank.

The street had no street lights and it was pitch black.  I had to find the house with the pathway footlights.  I was so hungry and tired and tired and hungry that I don't really remember anything beyond waking up the next morning and fumbling around in an effort to figure out how to get the shower working.

Midge had one eye almost closed, and the white of it was red.  We think she might have gotten a sticker under the eyelid, so I've been giving her ointments and eyedrops to try to flush it out.  She's been limping, having accidents, and neither she nor Scrappy are interested in their food.  Either they are homesick for their old home or it's just too hot for them to feel hungry.  So, instead of having one meal in the morning and one in the afternoon, we just leave bowls of food out all day and they snack when they feel like it.

The dog situation has been challenging.  There is no fenced in area, so we have had to just take them out on leashes to do their business, but the property is full of weeds with stickers on them.  The stickers don't bother the pads of the dogs' feet, but when Midge crouches, they get stuck all over her long butt hair, so I'm going to have to shave her tail end.  Scrappy's short hair hasn't been a problem.  I have also had to use shorter leashes, because if they drag on the ground, thousands of these little stickers get embedded in the leashes.

The dogs are a bit fearful of all the wildlife and strange surroundings, so we can let them outside off leash and they stick close to the house and come when she call, but after having a few run ins with coyotes and scorpions, we have to be very careful.  We had a rainstorm yesterday and I forgot to close the garage doors.  The next time I went into the garage, I got cornered by a scorpion.  My husband found one in the kitchen.  No rattlesnakes yet, knock on wood.

We have little bunnies all over the place, but they are so fast that the dogs don't see them.  The dogs are more mesmerized by the quail.  I love the sounds that the birds make around here.  It's like a jungle.  We also have all kinds of beautiful trees and plants with flowers -- none of which I am familiar with.




My husband drove me over to see the horses twice.  I gave them their hugs and kisses.  Neither my husband nor I have heard them cough during our visits, but we can see dried nasal drainage on Gabbrielle's nose.  The owner of the horse boarding facility sees them early in the morning and late at night, and says they are still coughing with runny noses.  We're just not seeing it during the day when we visit.  I'm not too worried at this point.  The owner says the only time she's seen horses have that tight of a cough is after they've been shipped a long distance, and it lasts a week or two, so we are waiting it out.  She calls it "shipping fever".

Here are some pictures I took of the horses.  They are shed out now.  I almost didn't recognize Bombay and Gabbrielle, because they are whiter than I've ever seen them.

Bombay was annoyed, because some horses were turned out and playing in the center riding arena and he wanted to play with them, but was stuck in his pen.


Gabbrielle was excited and thoroughly entertained by the other horses' antics.  They were fighting over a Jolly Ball and galloping in circles.  She doesn't took too sick, does she?

Lostine was kind of low key, just hanging out and being sweet.

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Check this link for Shipping Fever.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/mobile-horses-part-8-shipping-fever

It is very common with shipping horses long distance.

fernvalley01 said...

the plants and trees are lovely, and I hope the pups get felling better!

Reddunappy said...

Poor puppies, they will take a little while to acclimate.

The horses look great! Hope there snots clear up soon!

Grey Horse Matters said...

Good to see the pictures of the horses. I'm sure they'll be fine.

Those stickers sound really annoying. Wonder if there is anything to be done about them. When you get settled in the neighbors might have some ideas. Enjoy the new house!

Amish Stories said...

Id like to invite everyone to a post I've just published honoring the TV show "Big Valley", and also actor Peter Breck. Included with this post are 2 personal recipes that was sent to me by Peters wife Diane, so please stop by and say hello and share your memories of this classic TV show. Richard

www.FarmLifeLessons.blogspot.com said...

Gotta love those people who approach others for a hand-out in this day and age. Very scary.

I've never heard of that "shipping sickness" with horses, but is definitely makes sense with the wind, etc., creating pulmonary issues.

Good luck with the scorpions!

Lana

Paint Girl said...

The horses look fantastic!!
It will probably take some time to get used to a different place, for the dogs also. But it will all be worth it in the end!
And scorpions? Yuk. Hopefully you don't see any snakes, those I can't handle at all.

ABScharstein said...

The horses look good! I'm sure the cough will go away soon. As for Midge...GOOD LORD! I had a pet rat that had a lot of issues as well (giant abscesses I had to lance, respiratory issues...you get the idea!) I'm sure she will appreciate the shaved butt. Think she will look like a baboon? :P

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh! The horses look great! Very well-taken care of! Did they remember you and get excited when you arrived? I bet you were hugging and kissing them so much they were like 'Back off Mom! Give us some breathing room.' lol!

The flowering plants at your new place are beautiful. Sounds like the past owners tried to beautify the place. Very nice for you!

The stickers, I wonder if they are goat heads? They are vicious! We don't have any up here, but when we lived down in the Rio Grande Valley they were everywhere and they blew in with the tumbleweeds. Ouch! So painful, too!
We also had scorpions when we lived down on the desert side of the mountains, but we've never seen any up here at all. Thank God! Their sting is painful, especially those scorpions that they have in AZ...I think they call them Bark Scorpions?
We had a similar species when we lived in Rio Rancho, just west of Albuquerque, and they were always coming into our house...in our bedroom, kitchen, garage and living room. The last straw was when I was getting out of the shower and was posed to step out onto the floor and a scorpion was waiting right where I would have placed my foot. Agh!! Nasty, creepy creatures! I don't miss them at all!

Be careful!!!

~Lisa

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, your yard looks lovely! We LOVE the desert and have lived in it for 37 years now...how time flies! We used to have quail in our neighborhood, but a new development took over their territory and I don't see them anymore. We do have roadrunners. I haven't seen a coyote around our house for many, many years, but I see them every morning when I go walking. WELCOME to the desert! Yes, scorpions we have. In fact, one bit our German Shepherd years ago right on the nose!

lilyrose said...

Your horses look great! I've known people whose horses got shipping fever. It cleared up in about 10 days. Sorry about the scorpions-they are just a fact of life out here. I bought a metal comb to get the stickers out of my schnauzer's beard. Every time he goes outside he ends up with loads of them.
The flowers here are amazing. Just don't plant any oleander-it's poisonous to your horses.

achieve1dream said...

I guess there are hazards anywhere you go. The scorpions would freak me out!!!!

I'm glad the horses seem fine. They could also be dealing with allergies being in such a different environment. :)

I'm glad you're finally in your new home. So exciting.