Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Journey: Part 4

Obviously, my fingers are feeling better now, because the posts are coming fast and furious.  I found the right kind of hand lotion to do the trick.  I knew I had some.  It was just a matter of opening the right box...

I swear, this was a really classy house when we bought it, and we haven't even been here a week and we've already trashed the place.  Anyway, I know some of you are anxious to get a break from my long-winded stories and just want to see pictures of the house, so I'll give you a taste of the good life.


I was unaware that the house had a fountain.  It's not working, of course.  The ladder behind the hedge was for one of many home repairs my husband has been handling all week.  The porch light went out after one use.  He has also been trying to repair as many of the walkway foot lights as possible, so that we can see where we are going when we take the dogs out to pee at night.

The front of the house has a sun face with a bird's nest in its mouth...

One of the reason's why I love Arizona is because there are phallic symbols everywhere you look...

Come on in...

Actually, the interior will have to wait, because it looks like crap, but I'll show off my new washer and dryer...

Electrolux rules!  I haven't had a newfangled clothes washing system in years and am astounded at how fast these machines can rip through one load of laundry.  I used to have to wait an hour and a half for one load to finish washing and drying.  Now I think it can be done in half an hour depending on your settings.  I was going to attempt to ship the old washer and dryer to the new house at first, but decided to leave them at the old house in case I rent it out.  It's a good thing I made that decision since the moving company broke so many of our large items in transit.

The view from our back porch...

The wildlife that Scrappy now wants to chase and eat...

My horse trailer...

A quick story:  Just in front of, but beyond the trailer you can see something going on.  A man came to our door this morning to inform us that he was going to be demolishing a shed and dog run next door and he was sorry about the noise.  We were floored.  Never once in Nevada did any neighbor or construction worker consult us before doing a noisy project.  And what was even more amazing was that the guy had everything knocked down and cleared out of there in just a few hours, and we hardly heard a sound!  I love Arizona!  Considerate people with a strong work ethic.  The guy was smart too.  He gave us his business card, and you can bet we will use him for something in the future.

Here is our back yard and where I plan on building a home for my horses...


Way off in the distance you can see this jeep up on the ridge overlooking our property.  I couldn't help but think that if I were still at my old house, my perverted, annoying, nosy neighbor would be sitting in it watching me with binoculars...

We are so unconcerned about nosy neighbors here that we never close our blinds.  One more funny story:  We were bummed to hear someone racing around on an ATV.  My husband and I walked out onto the back porch to see if the person was riding on our property.  The ATV rider was behind some bushes, so it was difficult to detect where exactly he was.  It turned out that he was on a road bordering the back of our property.  Anyway, after a few minutes I looked at my husband and realized that he was standing out there in broad daylight in his tightie whities.

We did have a couple of ladies riding gorgeous bay Arabian horses cut up our driveway and across our backyard.  My husband went out to talk to them to let them know that we're planning on building a horse setup, which will probably ruin their route.  They said it was okay.  They knew they were cutting across private property.  One lady said that she would trim our horses' hooves for us if we wanted.  I wonder if we can work out a deal where she can ride on our land for a free trim every few weeks.

I keep finding horse details around the property that I never noticed before.  This is the flag on our mailbox...

There is also an electric outlet in the shape of a cowgirl boot.  And, of course, the horse heads on the side of the garage...

I find it funny that the people who sold us the house didn't even like horses.  They complained about the horse race that comes through town every year.  I suspect they built the house with the intention of selling it to horse people for a million bucks back in the mid-2000's, but they were always asking too much for the market and weren't able to sell the place until the dropped the price drastically to meet the appraisal value.

They did a nice job on picking out a lot of the details.  I'm used to ceiling fans that rock and squeak and make a racket.  All the ceiling fans in this house are finely tuned machines.  There are a lot of nice chandeliers too.  The carpet is disgusting, though.  I think it was white at one time and now is gray with black grease marks in some places.  But that's okay when you consider that Midge has already peed on every square inch of it.  She's seeing a vet tomorrow.

In other news, my daughter came home from college, and she's pregnant...

Oh wait... that's just her backpack.

15 comments:

Paint Girl said...

You sound so much happier!!! That is so great and I love the outside of the house!! The horse details are pretty dang cool!! That will be exciting to get your horse area set up so you can get your horses home!!
Love it!!

ellie k said...

I am so glad you are back on line, I really missed your posts. I am ready for bed and decided to check some blogs and there you were, sounds like a great place to live. it was nice that the man came to tell you he was making noise. Don't over do it unpacking, just enjoy being home and the peace and quite for a few days.

Reddunappy said...

Beautiful place! I love the horsie details and the mail box flag!!

Your daughter isnt going to like that statement! LOL LOL
I bet its great to see the kids!!

lilyrose said...

Your property looks wonderful! I'm jealous-I don't have any plants except natural desert ones. :( Um...as far as the guy in the tighty-whities-we do have some (cough) interesting characters living out here. Hopefully, he is harmless.
I keep a flashlight by my backdoor for late night doggie pee breaks. I would also suggest putting in a floodlight if possible. The javelina can be a bother.

Jamethiel Crabb said...

I haven't commented much lately, which I am sorry for. I'm in the middle of my own (thankfully much smaller but equally as long distance wise move!) so I can definately sympathize with some of your frustrations.
But I'm so happy to hear that uplifting note in your voice, and I love that area of Arizona you are living in-I grew up in Cave Creek just around there!

Good luck a million times on getting your horse's home set up just the way you like it, and I hope it turns out that Midge is just homesick.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you again, and so UP too.

Fabtastic place.

About unpacking, as I have moved many times (military): Don't rush. As you take each thing out of the box, ask yourself if it fits with your new place and life. If it doesn't, put it in a pile to trash or donate. Don't let it into your house! When you are too tired to make that one decision anymore, stop! Now find the place for the items you are keeping. When you get those put away, you may be refreshed enough to sort from the boxes again. Best of luck with the unpacking! I have found the best decrapifying can happen when unpacking....

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, I'm so glad you are settling in! You will love the desert. In the summer, though, you'll go out early in the mornings and then again at dusk! ENJOY! :-)

Jeni said...

Beautiful place NuzzMuzz! Can't wait for you to get your ponies home with you too.

I probably would have asked the guy taking down the shed and dog run what he was doing with it. If he was throwing it away I'd probably ask if I could buy it.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

It looks lovely! It's going to be awesome when you get all of your stuff put away and your horse facilities put in. I miss Arizona.

Oh before I forget...When I was researching the chemical/cellular level damage to horses due to insulin resistance, I ran across an article that talked about Cushing's Disease in humans and dogs. The symptoms reminded me a lot of some of the things you have said about Midge. I don't know if your previous vets ruled that out, but it might be worth asking the new vet about?

Laura said...

Glad to hear you made it in one piece! It sure does look nice. I hope you can relax without the crazy wack-o neighbours and enjoy your new home. :-)

Crystal said...

Wow sounds like a wonderful place and you made the right choice to move there! Cant wait till you get the horse area set up and the house unpacked, oh so exciting!

Mikey said...

Looks fantastic! And I'm with Paint Girl, you sound much happier!
Love all the horse touches, that is very cool. Great neighbors too, that was really nice of that guy. I'm so looking forward to your AZ adventures :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! I love that your silly sense of humor is back again...not just the sarcastic sense of humor ;)
I bet it's great to have your kids so close to home now, too.
Now you just need to get the horse facilities built and you'll all be together again. I know that'll make you so happy.

Even though we have blinds for most of our windows, we've never pulled them down in the 6 years we've lived here. Never needed to, and we love the natural light coming in the house and the passive solar benefits on the south side, too. I'm so glad that you finally get to experience and enjoy what it's like to have privacy and not have nosy neighbors anymore :)

~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Your new place is gorgeous and the rabbit is adorable. I'm so glad you finally have a new home with considerate neighbors and plenty of privacy! I know how long you've been waiting for this. :D

Cindy Durham said...

This is really Ironic....when we were looking at places to buy in AJ this year, the very house you are living in is one that we looked at on line...but since it did not alreayd have horse amenities we passed it by. It is not too very far from what we did buy though.