Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pictures

I took two walks today and took pictures with my point-and-shoot.  The first walk was at noon, so I didn't get the best lighting.  The second one was at sunset.  But first, I wanted to mention that Scrappy is starting to feel at home...

 And Midge can open her boo-boo eye now...

Here's an example of the hiking / horse riding trails around my new house...

There is some construction, but fortunately it is on the other side of the open land where I can't hear it...

These cacti drop little balls with spines along the trail, so even if you do your best to keep your horses and dogs away from cacti, they can still step on one of these spiked balls...

There are power lines everywhere...

It's hard to get a picture without power lines being in the foreground.  This next picture is of Silly Mountain, which we plan to hike someday just because we love its name...

This is an example of the typical southwestern architecture of homes you find in Arizona...

I always have trouble finding the front doors to businesses.  This next picture is of a neighbor who built a Colonial home right smack in the middle of the street because he didn't want to have to share an inch of his land with anyone.  We had a guy do that in our old neighborhood in Nevada, which made me mad because he pushed all the traffic past my house.  However, in the case of this house in Arizona, the homeowner's greediness worked out in my favor because he made a through-street into a dead-end road, so we don't get any non-residential traffic...

Smoke from the fire near Payson...

Leaving the trail and walking across the street to our new house...

Our street:  It used to be a dirt road, but was recently paved.  You can't even tell there are houses on it...
While taking walks up the street, I've noticed that some recluses border their properties with the sharpest cacti they can find.  I wish I had some of that back in Northern Nevada.  Cactus can be quite intimidating and can save on fencing costs in keeping people out.

All this picture needs is a coyote howling from a rock outcropping.  We did see a lot of coyote scat along the trails.  Horse poop too.

9 comments:

Reddunappy said...

Looks a lot more private!!!

Those Chula, Chola,?, castus, look nasty!

Glad the pups are doing better.

Mikey said...

You have the best views! What a great neighborhood. Glad Midge is better :) She looks better!
Seeing Scrappy makes me miss Pancho fiercely. We lost Mercy's little dog 2 nights ago to a heart attack. It was horrible, but we were there to hold him as he went. I cried the whole next day, and still tear up. I sure do miss that little guy :( Give them a hug for me. They are treasures.

Paint Girl said...

Good news about the dogs!!
Looks like great riding trails!! That will be so exciting when you get your horses home and you will be able to ride right there!
The last picture of the sunset is gorgeous!! Oh how I love Arizona sunsets!!

Cheryl Ann said...

I swear that Arizona and New Mexico have the pretties sunrises and sunsets! Very nice area you have now!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Mikey - I'm so sorry about Pancho.

Crystal said...

Wow looks like a perfect neighborhood and the only unfriendlies are the cactus.

fernvalley01 said...

looks like a lovely area

lilyrose said...

That trail along the power lines is where my husband rides all the time. I'm sure you'll see him regularly. He's the grey-haired guy on a big grey horse...trotting like mad! lol
I'm glad to hear that Midge is doing better and that Scrappy is feeling at home. Watch out for that nasty cholla! We always take a cheap plastic comb with us on walks. It works great at removing cholla from just about anything.

achieve1dream said...

Oh my goodness!!!! I can't believe I haven't read your blog since May!!! I'm so sorry! I hope things are going well. I'm going to try to get caught up asap.

I LOVE that last picture. Wow! Arizona looks so beautiful. I bet you all are going to be so much happier in your new home. :D