Thursday, May 24, 2012

Scenes From Another Geocaching Adventure

My daughter and I covered the all the geocaches in the southwest quadrant of the public land across the road from us this morning.  None were particularly challenging, because people really only have the choice of hiding them under a pile of rocks or a piles of logs, but we do enjoy the hikes.







One of the things that I really appreciate with this new neighborhood is not having to listen to emergency sirens constantly racing past my house.  So, when I was pulling into a gas station to fill up, all these emergency vehicles raced past me toward my new neighborhood.  As I was driving toward my street, a man in a truck flashed his lights at me and waved me down.  I stopped and rolled down my window.

He yelled, "There's a bad accident ahead and they are turning everyone around.  You may as well turn around here."

I thanked him and started to turn around, but then my kids reminded me that we don't know if they are turning traffic around before or after our street.  So, I kept going straight and it turned out they were turning traffic around AT our street.  Had I turned prematurely and tried to approach from the other direction, I would not have made it through.

I can see how people can get into car accidents around here, because the roads go up and down like roller coasters, creating blind spots.  So, I always stop at intersections, and pause for several seconds while looking both ways twice to give any vehicle down in a dip a chance to rise up where I can see it.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Glad you are getting out and enjoying your new area a little bit!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sounds like there are a ton of geocaches in your area. I wish I could like geocaching, but it just doesn't hold the same appeal to me as letterboxing does.


~Lisa

achieve1dream said...

Sounds like fun, but sad about the accident. :( Hope they are okay.