Monday, June 18, 2012

Breaking Ground

Yesterday morning I awoke to find a tractor in my backyard. I managed to sleep right through that delivery, but this morning once the grading process began, I definitely knew it. Two construction workers cleared all the bushes and most of the rocks from the area where I am putting the horse paddock, 4-stall mare motel, and hay barn.  Then they staked out where everything is going to go.

The horse paddock is going to be 100 x 140 feet with the 4-stall mare motel inside the southwest corner.  Each stall will be 16x16 feet with a 12-foot wide aisle down the middle.  I couldn't afford electricity in the barn right now, so I will point some floodlights on the side of the house at the barn and keep a flashlight by the back door.  We put together an extra long hose to fill up the water troughs.

The horse barn will be to the right of this bush and the hay barn will be to the left.  We were originally going to put the hay barn to the right of the mare motel, but there were some logistical problems with the well being in the way, and the hay barn most likely ruining our neighbor's view of the Superstition Mountains.  So, we're sacrificing our own view to some extent.

This is what our view of the horse barn will be sitting  on the porch.  It won't really block anything except our view of some houses, which we don't care to look at anyway.

This will be our view from sitting on the porch of the hay barn.  If I only made it 12-feet tall like the contractor wanted, it probably wouldn't affect much, but I'm worried that a truck won't be able to drop off a block or squeeze of hay directly into the barn unless it is at least 16-feet tall.  I certainly don't want to have to re-stack each hundred or so pound bale after they drop it off in front of a hay barn that is too short.  So, I guess I'll sacrifice a little bit of the view in order to avoid more work.  We can always stand up to the see the mountains.

It's so good after all this time to finally get some action on this project.  I had hoped to have it started in April and finished in May, but had trouble getting someone to do it.  The guy who finally took the job is a friend of Mikey's (a.k.a The Horseshoeing Housewife), and he had to transport his equipment and hour and a half between his place and mine.  I'm grateful that he was willing to go that far out of his way for this job.  I'm guaranteed that he won't skip town with my down payment like some contractor's do, because I'm sure that Mikey would kick his butt if he did.  Hee hee.  Nah.  I have a pretty good sense about people, and I know this guy has a strong work ethic.  He understands that I have no place to put my horses after the end of the month, so he's got to get this done in 12 days or less.

Here is Bombay in his new fly mask.  It's got a zebra on the forehead.  He managed to rip off Gabbrielle's mask again, which I found lying in Lostine's stall, so I brushed it off and put it back on her this morning.  I could tell that she had been trying to tear his off too.  I told them that if they don't quit their shenanigans, I'm going to put Lostine between them and she'll keep them disciplined.

12 comments:

lytha said...

what a strange place you live in now! what exactly is a mare motel? it seems like the barns there are just rain shelters..or shady-makers? i bet the horses love the sand though. your stalls will be 16X16!!??!wow! lucky horses! did you forget you have arabians not warmbloods?: ) they'll be able to canter circles in their stalls if they like. it's so exciting to watch you plan this; i hope to see the progress! and it's very nice of you to think of the neighbors in where you build. happiness to you nuzzling muzzles!!

fernvalley01 said...

things are coming together! Yeah ! and whoo hoo for the great network of folks you already have there!

RiverBend Farm said...

This is exciting! I know you can't wait for it to all come together!

sydney K said...

Ugh fly masks! This is the first time I have put one on Indigo. Missouri is so much more dry and her eye started weeping I was worried it was an infection at first but once I got her a fly mask (a cheetah print one, preow!) it stopped weeping. However she somehow manages once and a wile to twist it on her head. Shes part arabian but she has a large jaw and I can barely get the mask done up.

Anonymous said...

that ais great news, you will have your babies home in less then two weeks, everyone will be happier. I love your blog and think of it as a good book and can hardly wait for the next chapter. it is good to see some things going your way for a change, hang in there, life has its ups and downs but you are a survivor I know.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! Bombay and Gabbrielle are like little kids who need a responsible Nanny to keep them in line. :)

Great to see things getting started on your horse facilities. I hope you'll share the entire process.

Just wondering why you're not putting the hay barn on the right side and the mare motel on the left? You'll be looking at your gorgeous views of the mountains and if it were me, I'd want my horses to be in that same view. And with the hay barn being taller, it will block your uglier view of the homes behind you, but it doesn't seem like it will be tall enough to block your neighbor's views of the mountains. Plus, I can't tell for sure, but it seems that, to get to the hay barn, the delivery folks will have to drive across your entire back property to reach it, where if you have it on the right side, the path will be shorter.
Hard for me to tell, though, without actually being there in person.

For your lighting, you could always get a solar floodlight and solar lights for inside the barn, too. Cost a little more to start with, but will pay for itself in the long run.

~Lisa

Dreaming said...

16 x 16 stalls! Wow!
I can't wait to see it.... although you are probably a bit more anxious about that than I am ;-)

Cut-N-Jump said...

Good to see the mask fits like it should now. Definitely not a problem to make another. I wouldn't like being stuck wearing a shirt or pants that don't fit and apply that to the horses and their masks. We have the option to change clothes or wear something different. Their options aren't as open.

Cool beans on getting the horse setup going and they will be home before you know it.

Mikey said...

How exciting! I love that you'll be able to see them right from your porch. I spend a lot of time on my porch sitting there just watching horses. That's the best view :)
I bet he'll be finished in a few days. Wish it wasn't so hot outside though. Miserable to have to work outside in this heat. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Vaquerogirl said...

How could you even sleep knowing you were going to break ground the next day! I would have been too excited to sleep.
Too bad about your view- those mountains are beautiful. But perhaps not as beautiful as having your horses in your own yard! Good luck!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lytha - A mare motel is just what you described. It's stalls without walls, but with a roof. You gotta have air flow in Arizona.

Anonymous - That is the nicest thing "Anonymous" has ever said to me. Usually, when us bloggers get anonymous comments, they are snarky. Thanks.

achieve1dream said...

Yay!!!!! They are building your horse facilities. Happy dance! LOL! I know I'm reading this way late and you already have them home, but it's still exciting lol. And Bombay's mask is so cute!