Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 3 of Construction

I was wondering how the guys were going to be able to get themselves up 16-feet to put the panels on the hay barn.  Pure genius and probably safer than a ladder.

Unfortunately, because of the permit process and the way in which the barn was engineered, it's costing me a few extra thousand dollars to pay for the rebar and an exhorbitant amount of concrete.  Oh well.  At least I know the barn will hold up in a haboob and a monsoon.

The horse barn is going to be to the left and closer to the front of the hay barn.  It will be shorter in stature.  This picture was taken from my driveway...

This next picture shows a post for the fencing at the very back of our property.  It's about 15-feet from the trail where the horseback riders come up out of the arroyo.  The white fence in the back is actually where our property ends, but the arroyo is pretty deep and wide, and the cliff is fairly steep, so I can't do much with that part of the land other than to let it do its job of channeling rainwater away from our house and barns.

This next picture was taken from the northeast corner of the horse paddock.  It gives you an idea of how much space there will be for the horses to roam.

This was taken from the southeast corner of the paddock.  The whole time I was walking around taking pictures, the neighbor in that house was watching me from his patio.  Unfortunately, I farted out loud before noticing him sitting there.  But that's my life story.

These are my neighbors to the south.  See how spread out the houses are around here?  I love it.

Me likes tractors.

 
The roof still has to go on.  I was glad that they didn't use that shiny, reflective aluminum, because I'm sure my neighbors on the bluff would be up in arms against me having this thing blinding them every morning.

With each solution comes new problems.  Leaving bowls of water out for the bunnies was a death sentence for the birds.

I'm a murderer now.  I hate to know how often I'm going to have to be cleaning out my water troughs once the horses get here.  This is a good argument in favor of those tiny automatic waterers that I didn't want to install.

16 comments:

ABScharstein said...

MMMMMM birds. I bet they are nice and tender now.

I know, I'm sick.

Anonymous said...

My mother used moth balls in her flower beds for years and we lived on a farm with many cats and dogs running around and never had one to get sick, I think they know to stay a distance from them. I am sorry for the lady that lost her pets. I think you will watch your dogs about being where they should not be.

Allira said...

If you put a stick in the water, long enough to touch one side at the bottom, and angled so it goes up and rests on the opposite top side, and tie it in place some how. Birds that fall into the water can climb out, up the stick. Does that make sense or have I complicated something rather simple lol. Anyway, that's what I do in my horses paddock to stop drowning birds :)

Paint Girl said...

You do have a lot of area for the horses. I bet they will be so happy to have so much space to roam!!
Poor birds. But the dogs gotta drink!

Mikey said...

Looks good! I've been looking forward to the updates, it's fun watching it come together.
Bummer bout the birds, but it does happen. We have those babies everywhere here. I try to protect them, but the dogs think they're candy. Rattlesnakes like them very much too.
You can always still run those auto waterers, maybe from a hose? Although the water might get hot... hmm.

Dreaming said...

Such great progress.
You are smart to have the work permitted, even though it costs extra. We did the same thing and had the same discussions as you probably had.

sydney K said...

Automatic waterers. Once you go automatic you never go back. I have to hand fill mine every few days. They get scuzzy quick, stuff dies in them and sometimes you forget you turned the hose on until you have a flood. I miss mine.

lilyrose said...

Looks like the guys are making great progress despite the heat. I leave water bowls out for the birds and bunnies too-but I put a few rocks in the bowl to keep the baby quail from drowning. It has worked pretty good so far. :)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Awww...poor baby birds. You could place a rock inside the bowls and then the birds wouldn't fall in and not be able to get back out.

BTW, in that photo of the hay barn and tractor, are my eyes just playing tricks on me, or is that top panel askew and not level?

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - In that picture, the contractor is in the process of putting the panel on the frame. He's holding it, and that's why it is askew. If you look at the photos where the sides are finished, they are straight.

Everyone - I'll try rocks and sticks. We occasionally found a dead sparrow in our water troughs back in Nevada, but here in the Arizona desert there is such a prevalent bird population that I'll definitely have to be proactive.

Reddunappy said...

Looks like good progress!

I have one question, what is a haboob? he he he he thats a new one for me :o) LOL

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I see what you're saying, but I'm not talking about that photo where the men are still working, but the 9th photo down, where the men are done for the day and have gone home. The photo I'm referring to, is where the tractor is parked right in front of the hay barn. The upper left corner of the hay barn's panel looks askew to me.

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lisa - Oh yeah, I see what you are talking about now. That isn't so obvious today, because once they put the roof on and capped the edges, the frame doesn't show up anymore at the top. The bottom looks lined up. The front of the roof frame is half an inch higher than the back of the frame to direct water runoff down the back so that we don't have to walk through mud to get to the hay.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well that's good news. And sounds like an intelligent design too.

~Lisa

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Reddunappy - A haboob is a massive dust storm the rolls in like a wave, as opposed to a whirlwind. It can cover the entire city or several cities, and bring traffic to halt by blinding drivers.

achieve1dream said...

So exciting to see your horse facilities coming together. They are going to love it. It looks like a lot more space than they had at the old place.

That's too bad about the baby birds. I'm glad people were able to offer suggestions to solve that problem. :D